• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Perception, Intention Or Action

jw5

Loyal
Perception, Intention or Action:

Which of these do you think is the most important and why?

Thanks for your views.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
action i think bro......the first two are just in your mind. But action is performed or carried out and actually impacts people for better or for worse.

Thanks for your views.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perception -> Intention -> Action -> Feedback

Me think feedback most important in the loop.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
good question, important to you as a person in terms of assessing yourself and others..................

Boss, assess what? The taste of my flesh? The smell of my breath? It's all very vague. There are a myriad of things you can assess about yourself and others. What I'm trying to say is that in order to resolve a problem, you will have to first define it. You won't be able to compare the importance of those mental states and determine the most important one if you don't know what it is that you need to compare.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
most important is perception

because perception will shape your intention and action.

fishypie should start this type of threads too... :biggrin:

MKPKB

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks for your views.

1. Perception is based on belief or the aspect that you usually see.
2. Intention.......hoping to see??
3. Action is what the two mental things crafted out a motivated reality.
4. Guessing.

jw5

Loyal
Boss, assess what? The taste of my flesh? The smell of my breath? It's all very vague. There are a myriad of things you can assess about yourself and others. What I'm trying to say is that in order to resolve a problem, you will have to first define it. You won't be able to compare the importance of those mental states and determine the most important one if you don't know what it is that you need to compare.

ok solli if I wasn't clear, will try to be but if still cannot articulate, then boh pian............... :o

mainly to assess a person's chracter, are his intentions, his actions, or the perception of him (or for that matter of yourself), which is important?

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Oh ya hor..too bad that some peopLe can, some peopLe cant; cos they dont have the cLout..:cool:
Btw, i have added to your points in return.Thanks bro..:smile:

jw5

Loyal

I would have thought that a person's actions will lead to people having a perception of him and if he declares his intentions, this as well.
But your view that perceptions determines intention and action (similar to MCH), why is it important? It's merely the first stage in the process.

jw5

Loyal
Oh ya hor..too bad that some peopLe can, some peopLe cant; cos they dont have the cLout..:cool:
Btw, i have added to your points in return.Thanks bro..:smile:

It doesn't change the fact that you are trying to distract and surpress the natural flow of discussions in the forum.
Once you started a thread about curry mee, and mentioned that it had hum among other ingredients.
I made a comment "curry mee mai hum" and you asked me not to include politics in the thread.
All I wanted to say was that the curry mee as we know it in sg had chicken and potatoes and not hum and had no political implication at all.

You are the one who have politics in your mind all the time, because your role is to make sure political-related and social discussions which affect the livelihood of ordinary Singaporeans are being surpressed. The fact that you and your family members are doing well does not mean that there cannot be discussions about these things. How do you live with yourself?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thanks for your views.

Agree with most here that it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Perception is important for those who sought public opinion. Intention is important where the moral perspective is concerned. Action is important to get things done.

Actions or intentions do not always lead to perception. Actions can be misunderstood and intentions can be well hidden or faked. It is true that action and intentions tend to tally, but only if the person is honest about his intentions, which is the only 1 out of the 3 that can be hidden. Otherwise actions and intention may mean one thing and another.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would have thought that a person's actions will lead to people having a perception of him and if he declares his intentions, this as well.
But your view that perceptions determines intention and action (similar to MCH), why is it important? It's merely the first stage in the process.

i'm bias.

i like or dislike a person based on my perception. his/her intention and action are secondary to a certain extent. i used to have a close friend, he's an asshole but i still like him. i distanced myself from people who treated me quite well.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It doesn't change the fact that you are trying to distract and surpress the natural flow of discussions in the forum.
Once you started a thread about curry mee, and mentioned that it had hum among other ingredients.
I made a comment "curry mee mai hum" and you asked me not to include politics in the thread.
All I wanted to say was that the curry mee as we know it in sg had chicken and potatoes and not hum and had no political implication at all.

You are the one who have politics in your mind all the time, because your role is to make sure political-related and social discussions which affect the livelihood of ordinary Singaporeans are being surpressed. The fact that you and your family members are doing well does not mean that there cannot be discussions about these things. How do you live with yourself?
Goodness, even i cant remembered that post aLready..surprised that it stiLL dweLt within you for so Long ?..now
it's me who's asking how you have Lived with that statement for for Long ?..:eek:
There was no poLiticaL inference in it at aLL, just that i do not want any poLictics in my Posts.Check back on aLL my past posts and see for yourseLf how much i hated poLitics ! :cool:

jw5

Loyal
i'm bias.

i like or dislike a person based on my perception. his/her intention and action are secondary to a certain extent. i used to have a close friend, he's an asshole but i still like him. i distanced myself from people who treated me quite well.

Perhaps it's because of your character and partly because you are relatively young compared to the rest of us uncles and ah peks.

Several years ago, a few colleagues were discussing this topic and all had the usual questions about important for what, what you are trying to achieve, etc. One fellow (not me) boldly said "Of course perception is the most important. The only thing I care about is how people view me and how I view them. What I do or mean, what they do or mean, not important at all." He then proudly adjusted his tie and shirt to make himself look presentable.

Wonder whether that fellow has changed his thinking and how many children he is raising.

jw5

Loyal
Goodness, even i cant remembered that post aLready..surprised that it stiLL dweLt within you for so Long ?..now
it's me who's asking how you have Lived with that statement for for Long ?..:eek:
There was no poLiticaL inference in it at aLL, just that i do not want any poLictics in my Posts.Check back on aLL my past posts and see for yourseLf how much i hated poLitics ! :cool:

People who hate politics will simply not talk about it. They do not start threads with the title "Breakfast before politics".
Btw, forgot to tell you that I have been testing you for a while. Delberately posted political related stuff to see how you would react.
Hey presto, a new thread or post on shirt and tie or brazilian wax.
I am convinced that you are connected to the pap in some way and are deliberately posting stuff to surpress and distract discussion of social problems.
One question: is it Marine Parade?

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
People who hate politics will simply not talk about it. They do not start threads with the title "Breakfast before politics".
Btw, forgot to tell you that I have been testing you for a while. Delberately posted political related stuff to see how you would react.
Hey presto, a new thread or post on shirt and tie or brazilian wax.
I am convinced that you are connected to the pap in some way and are deliberately posting stuff to surpress and dsitract discussion of social problems.
One question: is it Marine Parade?
uncLe, i guessed you think too much Liao La..i am just your average guy.Posting some posts on tie & braziLian wax is poLiticaL ?..You okie or not ?..:eek:
As we have chatted in chatroom Lastnite; you can find me at East coast Lagoon on Sundays, incLuding tomorrow; having drinks & makan with my buddies from 1pm onwards.Do come find me; perhaps we can have some fun.:smile:
Btw, yes; it's Marine Parade area that i am residing.

jw5

Loyal
action i think bro......the first two are just in your mind. But action is performed or carried out and actually impacts people for better or for worse.

good point and succinct answer bro.........................
just thinking of cases we hear about people doing things, e.g. charitable works or donations, but their intention is actually to get their name or their company name in lights. yet the fact is still that they did contribute the money or did something even if their intention was a selfish and not altruistic one, and the money could really be put to good use to help the needy

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Very interesting thread started by Jw5. It started me thinking about how I am being perceived in this forum.

Intention is very difficult. I can have good intention here.I can swear to the world. But don't expect people to buy it. Action is simple.People judge and perceive you by what you post in this forum.Again, your actions can be deliberately provocative. Your actions can be deliberately pro-establishment or anti- establishment. But in the end, it is what people perceived that is the ultimate fate of your character here.

According to Alan Saks and Gary Johns, there are three components to Perception.

1.The Perceiver, the person who becomes aware about something and comes to a final understanding. There are 3 factors that can influence his or her perceptions: experience, motivational state and finally emotional state. In different motivational or emotional states, the perceiver will react to or perceive something in different ways. Also in different situations he or she might employ a "perceptual defence" where they tend to "see what they want to see". They want to perceive what they or their friends want them to perceive. So you can perceive someone as hostile or as a troll...and your perception of that person will colour or cloud your subsequent perception of him. And the sad thing is you think your perception is correct. But in actual fact, your perception is flawed and you are wrong.

2.The Target. This is the person who is being perceived or judged. "Ambiguity or lack of information about a target leads to a greater need for interpretation and addition." The target is someone who is wrongly perceived. This is again an error of perception which is again influenced by the many circumstances mentioned earlier. The target, who has been wrongly perceived, is further endangered by others with the same " erronous " perception and this leads to what I term mob lynching.

3.The Situation also greatly influences perceptions because different situations may call for additional information about the target. This is a rather tricky area where the target is perceived as hostile when a host of similarly-minded perceivers home in and attack under the mis-guided perception that the target is hostile. And this is a tragedy because again wrong perception has led to the death of a wrongly labeled target.

So I think PERCEPTION is the most important. Mainly because the wrong perception of a target will lead to his death.