• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People lost money with banks

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems that some banks in Singapore have misled customers into buying their bonds under a risk-free condition. After the Lehman debacle, 90% of the portfolio of these customers were wiped out. MAS is not taking any action for the banks' misleading statements.

In HK, the govt is taking some of the financial institutions to task. So what is the Singapore govt going to do about it?

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Yes, this gets on the nerve of a lot of people like me. I had a "surf deposit" with DBS which guarantees principle and is unaffected by Lahmen. But, if another bank was to fall, will it affects me? This is suppose to be risk free as it earns less then fixed deposit in it's current standing! (pathetic)

I think the very least that the banks should do, is to advise those depositors like me.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It seems that some banks in Singapore have misled customers into buying their bonds under a risk-free condition. After the Lehman debacle, 90% of the portfolio of these customers were wiped out. MAS is not taking any action for the banks' misleading statements.

In HK, the govt is taking some of the financial institutions to task. So what is the Singapore govt going to do about it?

ST_IMAGES_SHRALLY17.jpg

Do your see lung tao! I've 66% mandate OK?

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
those elderlys should goto CASE and see what they can do.
hope the government can act fast.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
juz wondering, is the thread starter the 'wisely' from lovecosmos forum ? :confused:

as far as i know - wisely is 'tan ___ ____' ... appeared on sunday times article abt newly renovated flat ... better not say more, hee hee ... :p

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
those bank officers who were selling all these funds did not even know what they were selling. all they knew was to tell their customers guaranteed no loss but profits returns of 5%!!!cannot lose at all! absolutley safe! how can a fund with so many baskets collapse with the collapse of lehman brothers!!! how can??? The reality is CAN!!! This was not spelt out to customers! I think those people who bought those funds should take action against the banks concerned!!!! Or go to Speaker's Corner and demonstrate your discontentment and display your losses...and name the banks concerned!!!

Z

Zombie

I think those bonds are credit-linked, just like investment-linked insurance.

Most people understand bonds are low-risk and they assumed the same for credit-linked ones.

There is no such thing as risk-free.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
u believe there is risk free and guarantee?

summore this is a cruel reality, they wan u to buy sumting...they will say until got dragon got tiger..

same for PAP.. before election day, they also say until got dragon got tiger..:biggrin::biggrin:

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, this gets on the nerve of a lot of people like me. I had a "surf deposit" with DBS which guarantees principle and is unaffected by Lahmen. But, if another bank was to fall, will it affects me? This is suppose to be risk free as it earns less then fixed deposit in it's current standing! (pathetic)

I think the very least that the banks should do, is to advise those depositors like me.

Bank agents today can handle no shit. Someone wrote to the press complaining that her agent told her he was too busy due to too many calls. Singapore must have been too stable till nobody can handle crisis anymore.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
u believe there is risk free and guarantee?

summore this is a cruel reality, they wan u to buy sumting...they will say until got dragon got tiger..

Has they re-define the meaning of guarantee ?? If we have to doubt the word, then must as well safe keep our money under the pillow. If the bank ain't do nothing to pacify the public, they (the bank) are gonna to lose out after this episode which I believe many non-risk taker are watching.

jw5

Loyal

Perhaps nothing, if they are not affected individually.

jw5

Loyal
those bank officers who were selling all these funds did not even know what they were selling. all they knew was to tell their customers guaranteed no loss but profits returns of 5%!!!cannot lose at all! absolutley safe! how can a fund with so many baskets collapse with the collapse of lehman brothers!!! how can??? The reality is CAN!!! This was not spelt out to customers! I think those people who bought those funds should take action against the banks concerned!!!! Or go to Speaker's Corner and demonstrate your discontentment and display your losses...and name the banks concerned!!!
They are only interested in getting their commissions.