• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Peace Centre Kacang Puteh Man Says He Had To Borrow Money From Dad To Tide Over Pandemic

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
1655119840234.png

Kacang puteh man

Amirthaalangaram Moorthy, 54, is one of the few kacang puteh men still plying his trade in Singapore. His cart outside Peace Centre occupies just a tiny sliver of demarcated space at the entrance, for which he pays $600 a month to rent.

He offers around 20 types of flavoured nuts and murukku (Indian fried rice flour crisps), charging about $1.30 to $2 a portion. Upon ordering, he scoops the goodies from red-lidded plastic bottles into a cone made from recycled paper, deftly folds the top and hands it to his customer. A portable electric cooker holds steamed peanuts and chickpeas.

1655119862265.png

1655119875032.png

“Very very difficult” for the past two years

But for the past two years, Moorthy has struggled to make a living due to the Covid-19 pandemic. During the circuit breaker in 2020, he couldn’t operate his cart for two months.

When he was allowed to resume his business, Moorthy had a drastic drop in customers as most people in the surrounding office buildings were working from home. “Every day I open, but two years no business. Very very difficult,” the Chennai-born tells 8days.sg in his colloquial English.

Borrowed money from father

As he had to support himself and his family, Moorthy says he had to “borrow money from my father [to] makan”. His father sold off a house in India and lent the proceeds to his son. “He sell and send money here. No choice lah, if not how to makan?” sighs Moorthy. “No business, how? Makan, rent, everything. This place is $600. I take the money, makan.”

More at https://www.todayonline.com/8days/p...d-borrow-money-dad-tide-over-pandemic-1923421

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blady landlord should @least give him 50% discount for rental! He's only occupying a small open space @The mall, it's not even a section of a shop unit.

jw5

Loyal
View attachment 149022

Kacang puteh man

Amirthaalangaram Moorthy, 54, is one of the few kacang puteh men still plying his trade in Singapore. His cart outside Peace Centre occupies just a tiny sliver of demarcated space at the entrance, for which he pays $600 a month to rent.

He offers around 20 types of flavoured nuts and murukku (Indian fried rice flour crisps), charging about $1.30 to $2 a portion. Upon ordering, he scoops the goodies from red-lidded plastic bottles into a cone made from recycled paper, deftly folds the top and hands it to his customer. A portable electric cooker holds steamed peanuts and chickpeas.

View attachment 149023

View attachment 149024

“Very very difficult” for the past two years

But for the past two years, Moorthy has struggled to make a living due to the Covid-19 pandemic. During the circuit breaker in 2020, he couldn’t operate his cart for two months.

When he was allowed to resume his business, Moorthy had a drastic drop in customers as most people in the surrounding office buildings were working from home. “Every day I open, but two years no business. Very very difficult,” the Chennai-born tells 8days.sg in his colloquial English.

Borrowed money from father

As he had to support himself and his family, Moorthy says he had to “borrow money from my father [to] makan”. His father sold off a house in India and lent the proceeds to his son. “He sell and send money here. No choice lah, if not how to makan?” sighs Moorthy. “No business, how? Makan, rent, everything. This place is $600. I take the money, makan.”

More at https://www.todayonline.com/8days/p...d-borrow-money-dad-tide-over-pandemic-1923421

Hope he continues his business successfully. :thumbsup:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He'll get more business selling at Waterloo Street.

Years ago I saw the Indian fortune teller and her parrot there. She's an elderly lady, I presume she's dead now.