• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pay Yourself first.. RK

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Accounting training obviously doesn't work very well when it comes to taking the leap of faith because there are more salaried accountants in the world than you can imagine.
johnny333 said:
Many are very qualified armed with accounting degrees...but my impression is that they are more like bean counters & not entrepreneurs
There's a real diff with bean counters (just crunching the debits/credits) and finance or business savvy types. Even for those who only knows just how to add up:p

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There's a real diff with bean counters (just crunching the debits/credits) and finance or business savvy types. Even for those who only knows just how to add up:p

these people are not trained to be leaders and to think independently. Most do not know the way to handle risk.. so suck thumb..

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Success: Websites with a touch of style

By Helen Twose
9:30 AM Monday Aug 13, 2012
SCCZEN_270712NZHGBBARB5_220x141.jpg

Barb Anderson with the trophy bka Interactive won this year for its website work. Photo / Greg Bowker

Stepping over teenage kids in sleeping bags to get to her desk, Barb Anderson knew her web design business had outgrown the home office.

It wasn't just negotiating the remnants of a teenager's party that pushed her to look for a new workplace.Corporate clients seemed to question sending couriers to a residential address and her three children didn't think she even had a job. "To them Dad had a job and Mum had a hobby," says Anderson.

She moved her fledgling company, bka Interactive (the bka stands for "be kick arse", says Anderson, as well as being her initials) into the offices of a friend, architect Dave Strachan.

Anderson jokes that her innate laziness and willingness to delegate saw her bring on more staff. In reality, the company's growth was down to Anderson recognising that to be world leading and design "s***-hot, beautiful and well-built" websites, she needed to employ people who had the skills she didn't.

One of the first people she hired was creative director Maak Bow, who is still with her today.

"After the creative director came on board I also realised things were moving away from pretty websites to doing functional, grunty business operational websites, so I knew we had to get developers on board."

She quickly filled the space in Strachan's offices and moved again, leaving with a piece of advice from Strachan that still resonates: you are only as good as your last work.

"It didn't matter if we had a $5000 client or a $20,000 client, we resolved we would never stop ... if it's not beautiful, it's not finished."
Aesthetics are important for a website, she says, because a well-designed site garners more respect from users.

And Anderson says a gorgeous website is not out of reach of small companies with tiny budgets.

The beautiful work it produces recently gained bka Interactive international attention in a design award run by Umbraco, a provider of open source content management software.

Beating more than 80 global entries, bka won the "best integration" award for its work on the Giltrap Group website and was runner-up in the design category for a website designed for New Zealand band Six60.

Fellow New Zealand web designers Terrabyte were also runner-up in the design and technical solution awards. Anderson says she was thrilled to get the accolade, and believes the fact that two New Zealand web design companies featured highly points to the talent in this country.

Anderson's introduction to online design came during an art and design degree she completed in the mid-1990s. Originally a teacher, she headed back to university after the birth of her last child.

With only a limited knowledge of html - the basic code for building websites - Anderson joined the brand new digital team at advertising agency Saatchi & Saatchi, working on the first Telecom website, followed by a stint in online design at a medical publisher.
"It's hard to make a living out of being an artist and I really like the idea of online. I'd done a lot of work in the digital space when I was at art school and I thought it was a really cool way of combining a love of maths and logic with things creative."

In 2001 she struck out on her own and started bka.
Although she could have stayed in a salaried job, Anderson says she wanted the fun and challenge of running her own business, and at 40 didn't want to be checking in for permission to go and watch her son play rugby.

"I just wanted that flexibility. I certainly didn't see it as major money potential. I just saw it as a really cool lifestyle really."
Over time the company's aesthetic emphasis has appealed to clients in the arts sector, including Auckland Theatre Company, the
Comedy Festival and auction house Art+Object, and the sporting arena.

That dovetails nicely with Anderson's own interests; as well as having an arts background, she is a sports nut who still plays netball at a competitive level.

The business of being "all things digital - anything online that makes businesses boom" has seen bka Interactive add an app development team.

Anderson sees huge opportunities in creating mobile applications. Until now, she says, many apps have been created by developers who have done a great job technically but haven't understood usability and beauty.

By Helen Twose

Copyright ©2012, APN Holdings NZ Limited

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is the perfect example of a sinkie polluted character. I think he has all the shit in all my point in sinkie character. Check my signature.

here is just a discussion and out come a sinkie who want to show the world he knows a lot. Oh my god. that is the perfect chinky, sinkie polluting character. Any human come near such character will be insulted for being a human being.

高谈阔论和实践是有分别的。
you only talk about ideas, but long before RK book came out so many people who know the PRACTICAL way to beat the system already doing it.

no one care about what you wrote or how you feel, go out and get it done in real life. not talking about how great the red shirt in Thailand is doing, but hiding in sg.

u have the typical sinkie herds mentality. read something, feel good and start to brag. absolute similar behaviour like those in CHC and NCC.

a sinkie will always call others sinkie in order to cover own sinkie behaviour.

i will still tell you the same thing.

[FONT=&amp]公小儿之见,不足与高士共语![/FONT][FONT=&amp]请勿复言![/FONT]

crispstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many who had gone through this step of getting finanical freedom. This will be a way to get away from being a slave in sg. Try it out, no harm done.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There are many who had gone through this step of getting finanical freedom. This will be a way to get away from being a slave in sg. Try it out, no harm done.

More like a way to show PAP the middle finger and get out of sinkieland.

RK's way is to show many the road to get away from dictators and govt who control you using money. That is the gem of RK.

This is exactly what PAP do to you. Make you pay for your HDB for life and put a leash on you. Why allow yourself to become a leverage for PAP. Show them the middle finger and nobody will need PAP to have a life.

Putting a leash on another is a criminal offence as far as i can put it in a way.

Be financially free and free from criminal leash from the govt like PAP.
Do it and you will be free..