• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Part-time jobs offered at JobsDB.com Career Expo

Krizalid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Part-time jobs offered at JobsDB.com Career Expo

By Hon Jing Yi | Posted: 23 March 2012 1745 hrs

display_image.php

SINGAPORE : Exhibitors are offering part-time jobs at this year's JobsDB.com Career Expo for the first time.

The organiser said this is in response to the recent announcement to tighten dependency ratio ceilings for foreign workers.

"Part-time work" is the buzzword at the career exhibition.

Jobseekers can also apply for the jobs on the JobsDB.com's job portal.

Adrian Chng, CEO of Jobs DB Inc, said: "One thing that we are introducing this year which is new and perhaps an opportunity for jobseekers is part-time or flexi-time work. I think we have to be more innovative to investigate these type of options."

Mr Chng also said that employers can potentially tap on mothers for part-time work.

He said: "Women (make up)...more than 50 per cent of the population and if we lose 50 per cent of the workforce due to childcare and bringing up children...the productivity of the economy goes down. So being able to find jobs and careers for working mothers, part-time, flexi-time is one way."

However, many jobseekers told Channel NewsAsia that they were only considering full-time positions.

One of them said: "(For) part-time (positions), usually they ask me to work in the evenings, in the evening I have to be with my kids. So I am looking for a full-time job."

One employer said he is hoping to hire more housewives and mature workers because, according to him, they are often more reliable than younger workers.

Edison Oh, managing director of Pin Si Kitchen, said: "The food and beverage industry is very suitable for housewives who do not have paper qualifications."

This year's exhibition features more than 8,000 job openings - a 20 per cent increase from last year.

Forty per cent of this year's exhibitors are small and medium enterprises (SMEs).

- CNA/ms

<iframe width="220" height="115" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jBmtdyBAMdA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>