• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAPee Apologist REGRETS Retiring in Canada Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Retiring abroad: Here's a different experience
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->MR CHEONG Wing Lee last Thursday crafted a compelling letter about how much greener the grass is on the other side, compared to Singapore, especially when one has some wealth ('Retiring abroad: One ex-Singaporean's experience').
He writes about being able to enjoy a more luxurious lifestyle with his dollar in Canada than he could have done in Singapore. Furthermore, he gets the bonus of free health care and a potential pension when he is 65. He has many friends and finds life fulfilling.
Undoubtedly, Mr Cheong worked hard to deserve all this. Nevertheless, he, his wife and former Nanyang Technological University professor friend have conveniently forgotten it was Singapore that enabled them somewhat to acquire the necessary wealth to pursue their present lifestyle.
Mr Cheong talked at length only about his wonderful life in Vancouver. He conveniently failed to mention the notorious square kilometre of the Downtown East Side where the homeless, hookers, drug addicts and peddlers openly congregate. The poverty and squalor found there rival that of any ghetto in the world. I am most familiar with this desperate side of Vancouver because I regularly help there at a soup kitchen to serve food to the homeless.
Although it touts itself as the Best Place on Earth, Vancouver is not such a pretty city when one views it with dispassionate eyes or with empty pockets.
I am a Singaporean who has had a good life in Vancouver for four years now. I studied here in the 1980s. Unlike Mr Cheong, I often yearn to be back home in Singapore. I have many friends here but I have yet to develop the feeling that they are my people. I visit Singapore yearly and, although I am with strangers in the MRT, bus, foodcourts or shopping malls, I always feel that, once again, I am home, with my own people and in my own country.
Like Mr Cheong, I will be happy to show visitors around to let them 'experience the truth'. Perhaps, after the experience, some may appreciate even more the green, green grass of Singapore. Chang Pow Meng

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE class=Post style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>I went to Carrefour Suntec today to look for a deep fryer. Saw one that I like and asked the salesgirl about it. "This one no stock" was the reply. I asked her whether she can find out whether Carrefour Plaza Singapura has it and her reply, " I don't know the number there" I asked her where she is from and she replied "Myanmar". I went to Carrefour Plaza Singapura and asked the salesman there about it. He told me there is a 50% discount for that brand. I looked at the placard that he is pointing at which showed a 20% discount. I asked him again and he repeated "50% discount" I said I will take it and he said "This one no stock". From his accent I think he is another foreigner, probably from China. I bought some other things and went to the counter. This time it is quite unmistakable that the cashier is from China.
The writer wrote:

"I visit Singapore yearly and, although I am with strangers in the MRT, bus, foodcourts or shopping malls, I always feel that, once again, I am home, with my own people and in my own country."

My reply, the next time you visit Singapore again, ask these strangers where they are from, they may very well be from the place you are now in, no wonder you feel so close to them.

To add to fabritech02 comments #02, I too have a friend who dropped out of ITE and is now an associate professor teaching in a US university.
Another close relative was unable to get into JC but managed to get a Masters degree in the UK and has worked as a Regional Director in a Fortune 100 company as well as VP in another international company but was not able to get even a manager position in Singapore.
Why???
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Retiring abroad: Here's a different experience
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->MR CHEONG Wing Lee last Thursday crafted a compelling letter about how much greener the grass is on the other side, compared to Singapore, especially when one has some wealth ('Retiring abroad: One ex-Singaporean's experience').
He writes about being able to enjoy a more luxurious lifestyle with his dollar in Canada than he could have done in Singapore. Furthermore, he gets the bonus of free health care and a potential pension when he is 65. He has many friends and finds life fulfilling.
Undoubtedly, Mr Cheong worked hard to deserve all this. Nevertheless, he, his wife and former Nanyang Technological University professor friend have conveniently forgotten it was Singapore that enabled them somewhat to acquire the necessary wealth to pursue their present lifestyle.
Mr Cheong talked at length only about his wonderful life in Vancouver. He conveniently failed to mention the notorious square kilometre of the Downtown East Side where the homeless, hookers, drug addicts and peddlers openly congregate. The poverty and squalor found there rival that of any ghetto in the world. I am most familiar with this desperate side of Vancouver because I regularly help there at a soup kitchen to serve food to the homeless.
Although it touts itself as the Best Place on Earth, Vancouver is not such a pretty city when one views it with dispassionate eyes or with empty pockets.
I am a Singaporean who has had a good life in Vancouver for four years now. I studied here in the 1980s. Unlike Mr Cheong, I often yearn to be back home in Singapore. I have many friends here but I have yet to develop the feeling that they are my people. I visit Singapore yearly and, although I am with strangers in the MRT, bus, foodcourts or shopping malls, I always feel that, once again, I am home, with my own people and in my own country.
Like Mr Cheong, I will be happy to show visitors around to let them 'experience the truth'. Perhaps, after the experience, some may appreciate even more the green, green grass of Singapore. Chang Pow Meng

Good to see a balanced view of emigrants. Up to Sporen to decide where to retire. For me the warmth of frens and the local charms such as teh tarik etc would be a big factor

Lentor

Alfrescian
Loyal
their relocation to canada in the first place was most likely due to "give up hope" on this government.the schs here only caters to the ELITEs who entered via the back door or scholars from other countries.
the rest of peasants are in those oz UNIs,u can use 1 stick and anyhow throw,the probability of hitting a sinkie might be even higher than that of hitting a oz white trash.

SAMURAISAN

Alfrescian
Loyal
seriously speaking..if i have a choice..i would have left singapore but i make the mistake of staying here

I really wish scum like you would find a way to leave this terrible place and find your paradise elsewhere. After all, if you cannot make it here, you must surely strike it big somewhere else..anywhere. Why stick around and grate at all the success around you when you are just too inept to grab some for yourself ?

For elites like me who have made a success of it here, I would rather have more hardworking foreigners here than whining locals like you....

So if you would send me your contact address I would like to donate $1 to kick off a fund to enable you to buy your ticket out of here.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nevertheless, he, his wife and former Nanyang Technological University professor friend have conveniently forgotten it was Singapore that enabled them somewhat to acquire the necessary wealth to pursue their present lifestyle.

Unlike the whiners here, Mr Cheong has got his formula right. Work hard in Singapore and enjoy the low taxes. Migrate to a retirement friendly place like Vancouver or Toronto after retirement. In fact, he can even get all his CPF by renouncing his citizenship.

He's much better off than the retired Canadians because Singapore is more condusive for wealth-accumulation.

He's better off than the retired Singaporean in Singapoe because Canada is more retirement friendly.

He made the systems work for him. Much better than people whining about the system all day long.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
This article is not entirely wrong. Wherever you go, you need to be smart and work hard to succeed. If you have no money or skills, even Vancouver is no haven for you.

But his hypocrisy is damning. He talks about missing home but continues to stay there and only visit once a year.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
all singaporean guys above 60 year old should be confine to Tekong and serve their remaining days in NS slavery.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[QUOTE Mr Cheong .....conveniently failed to mention the notorious square kilometre of the Downtown East Side where the homeless, hookers, drug addicts and peddlers openly congregate....... The poverty and squalor found there....I am most familiar with this desperate side of Vancouver because I regularly help there at a soup kitchen to serve food to the homeless.

I am a Singaporean who has had a good life in Vancouver for four years now. .....I often yearn to be back home in Singapore..... I have many friends here but I have yet to develop the feeling that they are my people. [/QUOTE]

Agree with angry-one about his hypocrisy.
S'pore has also its notorious kilometres of hookers,peddlers,illegal immigrants and con artist-its called Geylang.

Mabye he has not heard of the many S'poreans who are unable to pay utilities bills and provide even breakfast for their children.

If he yearn for S'pore so much,what the hell is he having a good life in Vancouver-come back to his beloved country and help the poor at home .
Not sure if he has served NS (a foreign talent turned Singaporean?)-but he should come back and complete his reservist training (before 40/45) and
defend the country he missed so much.

A

Alu862

My friend was injured in the UK but was treated by the A&E within 15 minutes and given free medicine. Sounds like c case described beofre?

Singaporeans are too arrogant.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
This article is not entirely wrong. Wherever you go, you need to be smart and work hard to succeed. If you have no money or skills, even Vancouver is no haven for you.

But his hypocrisy is damning. He talks about missing home but continues to stay there and only visit once a year.

What do you expect from a guy like him? He wants it both ways, and he just sounds false about it. At least he should have been completely honest.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlike the whiners here, Mr Cheong has got his formula right. Work hard in Singapore and enjoy the low taxes. Migrate to a retirement friendly place like Vancouver or Toronto after retirement. In fact, he can even get all his CPF by renouncing his citizenship.

He's much better off than the retired Canadians because Singapore is more condusive for wealth-accumulation.

He's better off than the retired Singaporean in Singapoe because Canada is more retirement friendly.

He made the systems work for him. Much better than people whining about the system all day long.

So u agree that your owner's leegalilized corruption has made Peesai retirement unfriendly? Aren't u biting the hand that feeds u?

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
So u agree that your owner's leegalilized corruption has made Peesai retirement unfriendly? Aren't u biting the hand that feeds u?

Not at all. A bustling city condusive to wealth creation is invariably retirement unfriendly. Instead of complaining about the place being retirement unfriendly, it's more important for you and me to be retirement ready.

A city is generally retirement unfriendly. You will not find people retiring in Brooklyn (sp) or Manhattan or, for that matter, city centre of Toronto. People will retire to the suburbs. Problem is, Singapore has no real suburbs or hinterland.

The person in the article really got his priorities right. Plan in advance and win both ways.

limbeitanre

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really wish scum like you would find a way to leave this terrible place and find your paradise elsewhere. After all, if you cannot make it here, you must surely strike it big somewhere else..anywhere. Why stick around and grate at all the success around you when you are just too inept to grab some for yourself ?

For elites like me who have made a success of it here, I would rather have more hardworking foreigners here than whining locals like you....

So if you would send me your contact address I would like to donate $1 to kick off a fund to enable you to buy your ticket out of here.

cyber coward like you always ask for the impossible when you yourself got no balls revealing your own IC. why blabbered so much cock in your replies and ask for people's contact address or IC in cyberworld? If you're the real deal, meet them up or limbei. dun always hide in your istana den everyday log in here talk big.

talk who dunno.

hiak hiak hiak...

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
cyber coward like you always ask for the impossible when you yourself got no balls revealing your own IC. why blabbered so much cock in your replies and ask for people's contact address or IC in cyberworld? If you're the real deal, meet them up or limbei. dun always hide in your istana den everyday log in here talk big.

talk who dunno.

hiak hiak hiak...[/QUOTE]

where there is SAMURAISAN, there will be u.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: