• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

OuR ChiLdReN WilL NEVER KnoW tHe LinK BeTwEeN tHe TwO .

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must be very young then. My time, the same packet costs 40 cents. I recall quite clearly the period when 10-stick Marlboro costs 60 or 65 cents. Knna, I am old.

We're all old. When I was smoking, Marlboro small pack was 75 cents. There were no Marlboro "Lights" then.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, and always stopped by there to have teh tarik and arrange and make bets for Orchard Road night street racing. Soup-up Alfa's, Datsun SSS and Mini Cooper S snd rare BMW's were the fast cars of that period.

BMW 2002 Tii. Forerunner of the 3 series.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I missed those firecrackers especially those I blew up the fire ants' nest. Also those rockets to frighten the girls at public parks. CNY was a great time for us in the old days. Nowadays it is better to take a holiday tour than to spend CNY in Singapore.

That's the ONLY reason I love CNY. These days, its all eating and gambling. What a fucked up way to signify our new year.

Cheers!

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the ONLY reason I love CNY. These days, its all eating and gambling. What a fucked up way to signify our new year.

Cheers!

I do wonder sometimes if life would have been better for the children if our progress to being a 1st World nation had not been successful. Why do we have so many imports of foreigners until our tiny island is so bloody crowded that we do not find enough breathing space. Where are we going with all the progress? A better life? Fuck it, I'd rather go back to the good ol' days.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
BMW 2002 Tii. Forerunner of the 3 series.

Cheers!
1974_BMW_2002tii_Malaga_Front_1.jpg

oh Gawd, I miss those good old days :(

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a special hatred for the large fire ants (kerenga) when I was bitten badly climbing a wild guava tree. I was setting up a bird trap up high to catch the red-eared bulbul. So it gave me a lot of pleasure blasting them when I had a chance.:biggrin:

I had a similar experience - 'cept it was a mango tree (at my mom's place, long type of mango). I got rid of all the mango after my balls were bitten by one of them. I used a fire at the end of a stick to burn their nests. Was so thorough and admanat in my endeavour that I completely oblitererated the kerangas. One problem - there were no more ants after that and that tree became barren after that - no more fruits. Kinda regretted my action.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
nabei, old-timers....memory fading izzit?It is Rasa Singapura at Tanglin STPB Tudor Court, Rasa Sayang is the song lah ! LOL !Yes, Tanglin one is ATLANTIS... The Parkway Parade one is Strawberry Park or something...Cheers to nostalgia !

Peppermint Park?

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any brother ever tried making catapults? We used to search for the tembusu tree and tie the Y-shaped branch forks that we had chosen that will make good catapults. After a few months we will cut the the branched and worked on them, cutting off the bark and polishing the raw catapult. Then we put it over the fire until the shape is just nice and firmly in place. We will use the bicycle tubes cut to lengths tied to a a small piece of leather which holds the bullets(small granite stones or marbles).

With that we shoot at birds and bats which we cooked and ate. It was fun doing that for a time until the novelty wears off. Off course we also practiced shooting at empty cans or bottles.

My friend made one of Tembusu - I am not able to identify the tree. I made one from Guava. But the one I liked most, I made at metal-working class during Sec 2. Shot birds, one bat, one car window, and lots of mudskippers.

Cheers!

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend made one of Tembusu - I am not able to identify the tree. I made one from Guava. But the one I liked most, I made at metal-working class during Sec 2. Shot birds, one bat, one car window, and lots of mudskippers.

Cheers!

There were only two technical schools initially, Tanjong Katong and Queenstown. Yes, the metal ones are just as great. Did you put the a spot of blood of the victim in the centre of the fork? It was believed that doing so would make your weapon more accurate.:biggrin: An old wives' tale no doubt.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do wonder sometimes if life would have been better for the children if our progress to being a 1st World nation had not been successful. Why do we have so many imports of foreigners until our tiny island is so bloody crowded that we do not find enough breathing space. Where are we going with all the progress? A better life? Fuck it, I'd rather go back to the good ol' days.

Bud, the only reason I come to SBF is the nostalgia, and the poke at the government. We can't help the "progress." The whole world is headed this direction, not just Sg. I think it was earlier this year it was announced that for the first time in world history, more people live in cities than the rurals. Our kids will not live the live we did. Everything has become so commercialized, and with the internet, no one (unless marooned) will be left out. Last time, we spent what we had in our pockets, these days, it is norm to spend what they can borrow. Agreed, I'd go back to the good ol' days anytime, but I can't. We need to change and adapt with the times.

You are based in Indonesia? Java?

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
1974_BMW_2002tii_Malaga_Front_1.jpg

oh Gawd, I miss those good old days :(

Yes - that's the car. I was riding a Suzuki T20 when I met a bunch of chao chia guys. A Mini 1275 GT, an SSS, and a Beemer like the one shown. I was drawn to the Mini immediately - it cornered very well and zipped through traffic easily. I still like it, especially the new (current) model. But I no longer am for racing down the public streets.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
There were only two technical schools initially, Tanjong Katong and Queenstown. Yes, the metal ones are just as great. Did you put the a spot of blood of the victim in the centre of the fork? It was believed that doing so would make your weapon more accurate.:biggrin: An old wives' tale no doubt.

Nope, didn't hear of that. It was Pri 6, Sec 1 ~ 2 that I was into these things. When I reached Sec 3, discovered girls. Then my life changed.

Cheers!

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bud, the only reason I come to SBF is the nostalgia, and the poke at the government. We can't help the "progress." The whole world is headed this direction, not just Sg. I think it was earlier this year it was announced that for the first time in world history, more people live in cities than the rurals. Our kids will not live the live we did. Everything has become so commercialized, and with the internet, no one (unless marooned) will be left out. Last time, we spent what we had in our pockets, these days, it is norm to spend what they can borrow. Agreed, I'd go back to the good ol' days anytime, but I can't. We need to change and adapt with the times.

You are based in Indonesia? Java?

Cheers!

You are right I know, but heck, it was pretty tough for the kids living in Singapore nowadays and the future is not as bright. The baby boomers like us never saw any recession and it all happened after 1997. So I guess most of us are doing fine except for some.

Yes, I stay in Jakarta Timur, Cimanggis 50% of the time and the other 50% in Singapore.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right I know, but heck, it was pretty tough for the kids living in Singapore nowadays and the future is not as bright. The baby boomers like us never saw any recession and it all happened after 1997. So I guess most of us are doing fine except for some.

Yes, I stay in Jakarta Timur, Cimanggis 50% of the time and the other 50% in Singapore.

I feel Sg has seen better days - economically. Indonesia is somewhat insulated from the global economics - unlike Sg as it has its own domestic market, and manufacuturing is still geared towards its own domestics - with a young population. For the main ASEAN countries, Indonesia will still see healthy growth the near future, much unlike M'sia, Sg and Thailand. I look forward to be doing things in Indonesia in the coming years.

Cheers!