• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Orchard Road is struggling

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I go to Orchard to eat, drink and make merry. I buy enough stuff online or in the sururban malls.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing wonderful about those shopping malls in Orchard as everyone seems to be selling similar stuffs.
With such a high rental locals sinkies seldom patronize those shops and tourist are getting smarter these days.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I buy most IT stuff online.
Only clothing buy from shop because need to be perfect fit to be wear comfortable and only during discount at least 30% or more.
But mostly buy from oversea because much cheaper about half price.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Spore I only pay for essentials: food, electricty & water, public transport. When I need anything else I order them online or get them when I travel. Haven't even had gotten a haircut locally for decades

The most recent big ticket item item I purchased was a Dyson vacuum cleaner. In Spore it would cost me $999. I decided to get it from eBay for $600. Why pay pay $999:confused:

The local warranty doesn't even cover the lithium ion battery. In the USA the battery is covered by a 6 month warranty.

I wear sports clothing not because I am sporty but because these clothes are comfortable & technical e.g. quick drying, long lasting, made of material which provides sun protection,...

All my health supplements are imported. Also get many grocery items like cashews, oats, honey, spices, organic ketchup, snack bars,.... are imported directly from the USA.

Domino

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take business school student Peter Lim, 22, who is graduating this year and joining the workforce soon.

Wanting to make an impression, he has been eyeing a pair of Oxfords since April.

So he popped into a retailer at Ngee Ann City last month to suss out the shoes, confirm his size and yes, the price.The shoes cost $269.

He walked out, saying he would "think about it", then went online and bought the same pair for about $160 - saving about $110.

Apart from shoes, Mr Lim buys his clothes, magazines and books online.

"It is more convenient. I don't have to deal with parking, transport or jostling with hordes of people," he says.

Perfumes such as Giorgio Armani Code Luna Eau Sensuelle Eau De Toilette for women costs $50 less online than at the store.

Online shopping is the way to go!

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why pay a premium to get the same goods where you can get it better and cheaper online? Even cheap shopping places like far east plaza is going dead! How do you sustain if you are marking up a pathetic t shirt with a logo on it for sgd80?

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
S$ so strong against so many currencies (A$, NZ$, RM, C$ etc), how many tourists would be going to Orchard Road to shop? Going to HK, China, Malaysia, Thailand etc to shop would be so much cheaper!!!!!

With carpark, ERP charges for Orchard Rd so expensive, how many locals: SINKIES would be driving and parking there to shop in Orchard Road????

Those retailers who opt to do business paying exhorbitant rentals in Orchard Road must have an unfulfilled deathwish or really need to book an appointment with IMH doctors for assessment!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not only Orchard Road. Even HFJs kpkb. Economy not doing as well as reported. Many can-do singers packed up after 2-3 months.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
S$ so strong against so many currencies (A$, NZ$, RM, C$ etc), how many tourists would be going to Orchard Road to shop? Going to HK, China, Malaysia, Thailand etc to shop would be so much cheaper!!!!!

Hush now, you're going to hurt the feelings of patriotic Sinkies. Strong SGD = a source of Sinkie patriotic pride. Just like clean drinking water, high-speed Internet, the red Sinkie passport. :biggrin:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hush now, you're going to hurt the feelings of patriotic Sinkies. Strong SGD = a source of Sinkie patriotic pride. Just like clean drinking water, high-speed Internet, the red Sinkie passport. :biggrin:

GDP is down for the quarter.
MAS will devalue the currency.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GDP is down for the quarter.
MAS will devalue the currency.

only a bad government will do that,
a good government will not devalue its currency.
instead, if PAP are good, they will cut their pay when gdp is down and use their pay cut to give it back to the society

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A strong sgd only benefits businesses and retailers.they can import cheap goods from other countries and sell to sinkies at sky high prices.for example a curry puff in johor only cost 50 sen ringgit.I can take $50 sgd and buy 300 curry puffs from johor,smuggle it across causeway and sell it for 90cent sgd each and make a whopping 400% profit.and daft and stupid sinkies thanks to a very strong sgd are paying four times as much as they should for a kali pok.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
A strong sgd only benefits businesses and retailers.they can import cheap goods from other countries and sell to sinkies at sky high prices.for example a curry puff in johor only cost 50 sen ringgit.I can take $50 sgd and buy 300 curry puffs from johor,smuggle it across causeway and sell it for 90cent sgd each and make a whopping 400% profit.and daft and stupid sinkies thanks to a very strong sgd are paying four times as much as they should for a kali pok.

I bought curry puff for Sgd 0.50 only in Singapore. Who will go try eating curry puff at 1.40 ?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only Orchard Road. Even HFJs kpkb. Economy not doing as well as reported. Many can-do singers packed up after 2-3 months.

China econ is going down hill. Too many poor and not enough middle class to support the economy. These HFJ come here to look for long term meal ticket. BTW, all these are considered 3rd Class. Top class ones are still in China plying their trade.