• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition Parties Camp David in progress.

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP sends WP invitation.

http://yoursdp.org/news/2013-01-10-5523

8 January 2013

Ms Sylvia Lim
Chairman
Workers' Party

Dear Ms Lim,

I would like to invite you and your party colleagues to discuss our parties' positions in regards to the by-elections expected to be called in Punggol East SMC. Specifically, we would like to explore the possibility of one opposition party contesting against the PAP in the by-election.

I would like to propose that we meet on 12 January 2013, Saturday at 10am. If you are agreeable to the date and time, we will make arrangements for the meeting venue. Otherwise, I would be grateful if you could suggest an alternative date and time.

Thank you.

Jufrie Mahmood
Chairman
Singapore Democratic Party

Last edited:

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Difficult to communicate with extremists lah.

They have their own minds.

Last edited:

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
You forgot to include also CSJ INVITATION with that THREAT.

The url http://yoursdp.org/news/2013-01-10-5523
already have the full content of the exchanges but for the benefits of the forumers here. The other two letters
are :

9 January 2013

Dear Ms Lim,

I refer to my email dated 8 January 2013 inviting the WP for a meeting vis-a-vis the by-election at Punggol East.

In view of the fact that the PM has called for the by-election, we should meet as soon as possible. I propose Friday, 11 January 2013, lunchtime. I await your reply.

Jufrie

10 January 2013

Low Thia Khiang
Secretary-General
Workers' Party

Dear Mr Low,

I refer to the invitation from our Chairman Jufrie Mahmood for our parties to meet on Friday, 11 January, to discuss our participation in the by-election at Punggol East.

Unfortunately in her reply, your Chairman Sylvia Lim, gave no indication that the WP has accepted our invitation.

I would like to extend the invitation again. If you find the proposed date and time of lunch on 11 January 2013 unsuitable, please suggest an alternative one. We should meet soon to give ourselves time to thoroughly discuss some urgent matters.

Specifically, we hope to explore ways on how we can offer the best candidate with the best opportunity to defeat the PAP. The SDP would like to work with the WP to avoid a 3- or multi-corner fight with the PAP.

More importantly, we would like to see how opposition parties can work closer together in the interest of unseating the PAP to bring about a democratic system in Singapore.

In order to achieve these, let us meet to explore how the opposition can cooperate in a more concerted manner starting with this by-election. The meeting on Friday would be a good beginning.

I hope you will give my invitation serious consideration.

As this matter is of intense public interest, I wish to inform you that our correspondence may be made open. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Chee Soon Juan
Secretary-General
Singapore Democratic Party

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some interesting comments from other forumers.

"it would be better for 3-party system still, like zhuge liang idea of 3 kingdoms....
but as of current, PAP need to be crippled as much as possible, hence best let WP solo fight then SDP can cums join in the next erection."

"WP attack from the North-East. (Aljunied GRC)
SDP attack from the South (Tanjong Pagar GRC)
RP attack from the West. (West coast GRC)
NSP attack from the East. (Marine Parade GRC)

Ang Mo Kio GRC kena attack from 4 sides."

"the focus on this by-election seems to be fighting among the opposition parties rather than doing battle against the incumbent..."

"they gained some positive reputation in the last GE, and if they decided to spoil the party in this BE, they will lose it all"

"all political parties are concerned first about their own survival. without a seat, SDP very tough to survive or attract members."

"Hope all those jokers get their deposit forfeited...
Like SDA candidate previously did..."

"The hard truths is that only WP will have any chance of winning in the east. SDP participating only gives an illusion of choice but realistically it will gift PAP the seat."

"for the past dacade show no interest in the area, suddenly claim they are interested to represent the people there, what the fark is this ?
Y must WP discuss with them ?"

"Keep thinking you are opposition and you will forever be one."

"Let Workers party win lah, so that they could merge 3 town councils together and name it Punggol East-Hougang-Aljunied Town Council"

"If sdp really compete, they can forget about my vote in 2016"

"The intentions of SDP are indeed dubious...

Over the last weekend, SDP already started campaigning in Punggol East with their members and Chee Soon Juan even wrote this in a SDP article:

"The SDP is committed to offering voters a competent voice. We will field a credible candidate who is dedicated to serving the people of Punggol East well and, if elected, will take Singapore forward by introducing our solutions to the current problems in Parliament."

Since SDP already decided to field a candidate in Punggol East, why is there still a need to invite WP to discuss abt the issue of having only 1 political oppo party to contest in this by-election...to me, it's more like forcefully asking WP not to contest..."

"People's opinion of SDP and Dr Chee is starting to improve over the past few years. Contesting in punggol against WP is going to undo all that."

"My view is, perhaps to encourage more representation of the Opposition in Parliament, WP should consider stepping aside on this occasion. Let another Opposition party take on the PAP 1-1 & if if that party is successful, there will be basically 2 Opposition parties in Parliament.
Same as PAP, the WP will also have their own mindset and common outlook on issues. The addition of another Opposition party will hopefully add another dimension to ideas.
Problem I see is that which is the other Opposition party that the voters are prepared to vote for over the PAP ? At the moment, beside the WP, no other Opposition seems to have that credential, sadly.
This being the case, then I suppose one cannot blame the WP for not wanting to give in to other Opposition parties.
Sigh .... . If only more voters are like me - under such circumstances we should vote any Opposition than for the PAP. Let's see which Opposition party is the luckier one."

"should do an online poll, see who do punggol people prefer. WP or SDP? then the less preferred should not contest...."

"I feel it's likely Singaporeans hope there's an opposition party speaking up for them and I think WP works better with the PAP.
If there are more parties, I wonder whether our parliament would someday become like the Taiwan parliament - frequent clashes of views and even throwing of things at each other or suffocating the other party from speaking.
That would be a great mess, which may affect economic development because they will try and over ride one another and more arguments may occur instead of complementing each other's effort in improving the economy and future well-being of fellow Singaporeans.
The above is my humble opinion. "

“SDP should step back n let WP contest.. Dun behave like an opportunist.. If SDP comes in n lost, lost deposit small matter but comes 2016 might lose again wholesale.. So be cooperative n mature..” – Teong Man

“DP has only do 1 walkabout in Punggol East while WP has do the walkabout for the past 1 year. SDP should concentrate their walkabout in their stronghold Bukit Timah and not PE.” – Wong Hong Teng

"No way should WP give way. NSP looks like its more responsible holding on to opposition cause. The rest are just desperate to get a shot. Perhaps WP and NSP should seriously explored merger. Mergers for strength and synergy happen in among corporations regularly. So why not political parties? Two main parties for competition should be more than enough in Singapore. The rest, if they want, can continue to add 'colour' and 'blachan flavour' to the political scene. "

"Seriously, they will just lose credibility if they really go ahead with making a move that would, for all practical purposes, only serve to maximize the chances of PAP winning the BE.

If they are truly keen on serving the residents, they should be focusing on their current battleground. Use the deposit and campaign money, every month one day give out free meals to the needy in their area, heavily advertise the fact and it would get them more ground support in the next GE lor."

"Even if SDP convinced WP to pull out of the contest. He also has to convince RP and SDA. Will Punggol East residents support SDP if there is no other opp contesting. I really doubt so."

"nothing against WP but SDP candidates will more likely be stronger..
u wait n see who WP can field lo"

"Don't know who ish cross river dismantle bridge hor.
Cause most of the opp have been very cooperative in GE2011 to avoid multi-corner fight, except a few idiots it has gone well in all the contest which also help all the opp parties achieve better result than before. Moi think this ish credited to all the opp parties and not just WP alone hor.
Anyway moi really think WP supporters are over optimistic. They talk as if if no opp come 'disturb' then they will have 'high' chance or wining.
But moi think that 'high' chance ish still around the odd of 4:6 at most nia even if no other opp come contesting. People still don't realize that PAP grassroot support in Punggol ish really still very strong (this ish why for once moi believe in ST poll leeport) cause the AIM scandal and sex scandal didn't really impact the image of higher mortals very much hor. Don't be fool by all the 'heat' in the Internet as these 'heats' are only noise."

"Even as an oppo supporter, I think i agree with u.. I highly doubt WP can win.. I only hope for a razor thin loss (e.g. a few hundred votes, re-count, re-count, drama ma ma.. then best if it is someone not as elite as pappy... even to shock pappy that a not so elite can push them all the way to the end)..

But then on the other hand, I think WP want to do this... they know they might not win but they cannot opt out. In fact, if they can end up being 2nd place with a respectable margin and make SDP a distant 3rd (even losing deposit etc), then the 2016 is over..
"

Last edited:

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 more for your compilation.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?140149-SDP-will-withdraw&p=1366025#post1366025
lockeliberal
Default Re: SDP will withdraw.
Dear Yellow,

Do u know what is annoying about this whole SDP inspired "drama". it treats everyone else as idiots that can be manipulated by their PR spin machine. You want to contest so does every dog and its flea, Why pull the big tear jerker soap about "opposition" unity. ? Just man up and well contest and I probably would not be so harsh or so critical about them,

Calling for a meeting when you have two other jokers in the form of the SDA and RP who you have not even asked to a supposedly joint meeting speaks of an attempt to " blame" the WP for not working together.

That is what sickens me to e core.

Locke

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 more for your compilation.

Thanks

More interesting comments by other forumers.

"Dont just look at WP at just another PAP. What WP is doing is restoring what the other opposition lacked for the longest time...........Credibility and track records.....trying to restore the fact that Oppositions can form an alternative government if PAP cant.

Because if you look at the current rest of the opposition clowns. I really use the word clowns, because I agree with PAP. You trust this jokers to run the show ? Or have them inside the parliament just to kpkb with PAP running the show ?

So at the end of the day, does Singaporeans want PAP to run the show with a bunch of 10-20 oppositions in the parliament making noise only ? Then I rather have PAP run the show.

Or do i want to see a good show down of an alternative stable govt who can effectively take over from the other ?

So dont underestimate LTK and team way of running the show. They know that before you can come out and kpkb about others, you make sure you do your stuff well first. They got a lot more at stake with one GRC and SMC on hand. They gotta first ensure that those pple in Aljunied and Hougang are well taken care. No more "carefree" statements like those from the other Opposition parties."

"Question here is.

If you are voting in an opposition, do you just vote them in to get PAP out or really for the better of the country.

The problem with most of the other opposition parties is that....it is not WP treating them as pushovers or not. The problem is that have they proven to US, Singaporeans, that they are a credible bunch to be voted in or not ?

In any typical ward, there are always few bunch of voters. Oppositions parties need to understand this very well.

1) Typical Hardcore PAP voters
2) Typical Hardcore Opposition voters
3) Incumbent voters
4) Undecided but logical voters who wants stability & peace so usually end up voting

Group 1 and group 2 are generally not the majority. Probably taking ard 10%-15% each.

Your Group 3 usually form a big group too. Usually 20-30% cos they dont really like changes but usually vote for the incumbent.

Group 4 usually forms the rest . As huge as 50% depending on how well the economy is doing or how well like is the incumbent.

As more and more Gen Y and Z people get into the voting age, the swing votes are the ones from Group 4 because they are more savvy and received better education. This is where the opposition should try to erode away to swing it to them. Proving to them that they can do it too.

In summary, winning Punggol East its not a showdown of opposition parties and see who is a pushover and who wants to be the Indian Chief. Its just simply, who is the team that is ready to lead and run the Ward."

"WP need not send in any "stronger" or in my opinion, "more vocal" candidates to the parliament.

There are so many fiery talents in the WP team inside the parliament now.

LTK, the fiery one
Sylvia, looks harmless but when kana sh!t from pap, can open up cans of worms (AIMs saga)
CSM, the quietest of the lot but i believe amongst the brainest.
Pretnam, can talk when needed too.

So many inside can talk one. So why need anymore can talk one ?

Need those can WORK one. Png is one of them, more worker than talker. So WP just need to send in a hardworking, effective candidate to contest."

"But the fact remains....what PAP says doesnt comes without logic.

If you cant run a TC, how you prove your worth to run a country.

So how does WP do it ?

First, you prove that as an opposition party, you serve your people (who voted you in) well. You seek their confidence in you by showing that you can balance the $$ and run the show and run things.

At the same time you also show the other people in other GRCs that, hey, voting in an opposition like WP isnt as bad as things seems.

I am not saying that we should just get rid of other opposition and just go for WP. But an idea how SDP and other oppositions should start thinking, how to convince the voters.

Dont ask me to vote you in as an alternative voice. You must be able to do more than an alternative voice before I will give you my vote."

"Singaporeans already gave SDP 2 seats last time. They were not able to run the wards properly and resulted in a quick boot out of the parliament.

I was too young to know what actually happened but I heard it was quite bad..

Nobody remembers what impact SDP had when they were in parliament.
The only things that ppl remembered are the defamation law suits and the crazy stuff Dr Chee did. Accuse prison of putting poison in his food... go on hunger strikes..

So if you give opposition supporters 2 choices, WP or SDP. I think the more rational voters will go for WP.

Furthermore, Punggol East SMC is so bloody near hougang, ppl got eyes to see how it is being managed."

"many people are unhappy that WP seems to be very quiet, not doing anything, but they don't understand this. they don't understand why WP won aljunied, they don't understand majority of local voters' thoughts, they don't understand the situation.

WP is indeed quiet, but their ground work is superb. they are quiet, but when they bite... they are most feared by the PAP. just look at how WP control the situation of AIM and town council. if it's other parties, they probably come out with loud, abusive statements and immediately lose support from the ground for being aggressive and perceived ridiculous."

"Actually i do think its only courtesy to response to such an invitation, be it favorably or otherwise. I'm guessing WP already did and have their own reason as to it's decision to turn the invitation down. It might be good to issue a statement as to why not though. my 2 cents."

"Obviously SDP does not know how to win an election. Let's look at the demographics.

In every constituency, there is about 30-35% hardcore anti PAP votes to grab. To reach >40%, one must be able to win the support from the swing voters. WP performed brilliantly in the last GE, securing >40% in every single constituency they contested.

Look at SDP. They hardly swayed the swing voters based on last GE results. What they secured are simply just hardcore anti-PAP votes. Even "ahem" parties like SDA and RP secured 30-35% on every single constituency not because of their merits, but because these voters who vote for them simply dislike PAP. To even reach 40%, they must work the ground and start to win the swing voters. This is the reason why WP polled 42%, while SDA got merely 4%.

My prediction is simple-- WP will poll >40%, while other opposition parties will lose election deposits, cuz none of the opposition parties other than WP can win the swing voters. So to the voters, it's either WP or PAP.. and I certainly hope WP can nick it though the odds are against them.

In fact, from Derek Da Cunha's book titled "Breakthrough", WP should not back off in multi-corner fights in future. It's the other opposition parties that should give way. SDA has gone down the drain and gotten absolutely humiliated, and SDP will go the same way if they still don't see the reality."

"myfoot123
Default Letter to SDP - Dr Chee Soon Juan.

Address to: SDP
To whom it may concern

I noticed SDP is knocking on WP’s door very hard, almost banging it. Should WP open the door for negotiation? Here is my personal opinion……

WP has contested in Ponggol East and won 41% support, a fact SDP and other opposition parties cannot deny.

Residents, who did not vote for WP in the last election, probably have doubted WP capability to run a town bigger than Hougang. After a decisive win in Aljunied GRC, WP has cleared some swing voters doubt, WP can indeed manage a GRC well…over two years now. Thus I foresee WP’s votes share in Ponggol will increase slightly more than 41%. Furthermore, with more PAP screwing up residents in recent cases like palmate, Bromptongate and AIMgate, the breeze is certainly in favor of WP. The fight between PAP and WP will be a close watch by all political analysis.

On the other hand, SDP was making serious presumption that they will win 41% secured vote, by default, if WP withdraw from this BE. This is a very risky presumption. 41% residents voted for WP because of its brand, town management experience and the emotional high turnout crowds. SDP has yet to build up the same status and crowds enough to threaten the ruling party, even with their group of capable people no less.

Fair enough, let’s assess SDP marvelous team in the last election. It has indeed improved SDP scores in history which is not enough to win an election. They still fall behind SPP, NSP and WP on average election result. By telling WP, via letter, to step aside because SDP has better people more capable than WP, is akin to a shark telling the whale it is short of volume. The letter appears rude with agenda, blaming WP for 3-corner fight if SDP's request letter is ignored.

If WP were to grant SDP the only party against PAP, it will be a HUGE HUGE favor shown to SDP. Can SDP than take the pressure to prove it can win this BE under Low Thia Kiang’s magnamity ? I am not optimistic for simple reason, if people indeed wanted a shark, they want Chee Soon Juan in parliament, but he cannot contest in this BE.

The ball is in SDP to withdraw until Dr Chee is out of legal suit. There is always a time and chance for them in 2016. Otherwise, he will hand Ponggol back to PAP. WP will than take this painful lesson never, ever to negotiate with any loser again.

With honesty
My foot "

Last edited: