• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition members respond to pay cut

zujjkiol

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition members respond to pay cut
By Hetty Musfirah | Posted: 04 January 2012 2238 hrs
display_image.php
Photos 1 of 1<input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" type="image" width="19" height="15"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15">

<tbody>
</tbody>
dotline_240.gif

NSP's Hazel Poa said the ministerial salary review was "hard to swallow".
shim.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
shim.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

SINGAPORE: Several members of the opposition parties in Singapore have responded to the recommendations of the Ministerial Salaries Review Committee announced on Wednesday.

Ministerial pay was a hot topic in last year's General Election.

Chairman of the Workers' Party Sylvia Lim said her party is studying the recommendations and will also respond in due course.

Similarly, Non-Constituency MP Lina Chiam from the Singapore People's Party said she is studying if the changes will benefit Singaporeans.

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) said it welcomed the proposed removal of pensions but it is still unhappy over the overall pay package.

SDP's James Gomez said: "However, at the SDP, we feel that the quantum is still extremely very high. I don't think the new Singaporean politician who wants to bring Singaporean issues forward is motivated by monetary incentives.'

The National Solidarity Party (NSP) said it is disappointed that the proposed benchmark for political salaries is still pegged to the top earners in Singapore.

The NSP said it had suggested the pay structure also take into account the bottom 20th percentile of wage earners here and despite suggestions to incorporate this into the national bonus, the overall pay package is still high.

"Comparing the new salary levels for an entry level minister, S$1.1 million, that's already higher than the salaries of prime ministers and presidents in other developed countries.

"I think that is still a bit hard to swallow. We had been hoping for at least a 50 per cent cut to bring it down to more reasonable levels."

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
minister salary is still too high, but when opposition gain power, i bet the first thing they do will not be reducing minister pay.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Several members of the opposition parties in Singapore have responded to the recommendations of the Ministerial Salaries Review Committee announced on Wednesday.

Chairman of the Workers' Party Sylvia Lim said her party is studying the recommendations and will also respond in due course.
If it doesn't impact on me as MP, okay lah I support. If there is any impact, then I am unhappy lor.
The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) said it welcomed the proposed removal of pensions but it is still unhappy over the overall pay package.

SDP's James Gomez said: "However, at the SDP, we feel that the quantum is still extremely very high. I don't think the new Singaporean politician who wants to bring Singaporean issues forward is motivated by monetary incentives.'
Of course, naturally. PAP minister's pay package is too high. Any SDP member voted into Parliament will donate 90 per cent of their salary to the National Kidney Foundation. We are here to serve the people.
The National Solidarity Party (NSP) said it is disappointed that the proposed benchmark for political salaries is still pegged to the top earners in Singapore.

The NSP said it had suggested the pay structure also take into account the bottom 20th percentile of wage earners here and despite suggestions to incorporate this into the national bonus, the overall pay package is still high.

"Comparing the new salary levels for an entry level minister, S$1.1 million, that's already higher than the salaries of prime ministers and presidents in other developed countries.

Agree wholeheartedly. Should peg it with the salary of Malaysia, Indonesia, Phililippines and Bangladesh. Afterall, Singapore is so tiny compared with these countries.

Indonesia President = Rupiah 62,500,000 ($9,191)
Philippines President = PhP 120,000 ($3,524).
Malaysia Prime Minister = RM 22,826 ($9,352).
Bangladesh President = TK 61,200 ($959)

Your own salary should also peg it with an Indonesian or a Bangladeshi worker of similar job in their own country. For example, an Indonesia teacher earns Rupiah 2,380,000 a month; a production worker Rupiah 1,360,000 a month. Why is yours so high hah? Would you charge just $10.00 in your tuition centre?

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

If it doesn't impact on me as MP, okay lah I support. If there is any impact, then I am unhappy lor.

Where is the link for that you PAP cock sucking cunt!

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
minister salary is still too high, but when opposition gain power, i bet the first thing they do will not be reducing minister pay.

Nah! They will do better than just trying to hold on to the million dollars salary! After observing the leegime for so many decades & drooling over their income(S), we will have a repeat episode like in Taiwan's Chen Sui Bian & gang's tactics lah! But they will do better than Ah Bian & gang lah, they will ensure that the ruling party then will not be PAP even if they failed to secure their third term!

takchenow

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agree wholeheartedly. Should peg it with the salary of Malaysia, Indonesia, Phililippines and Bangladesh. Afterall, Singapore is so tiny compared with these countries.

Indonesia President = Rupiah 62,500,000 ($9,191)
Philippines President = PhP 120,000 ($3,524).
Malaysia Prime Minister = RM 22,826 ($9,352).
Bangladesh President = TK 61,200 ($959)

Your own salary should also peg it with an Indonesian or a Bangladeshi worker of similar job in their own country. For example, an Indonesia teacher earns Rupiah 2,380,000 a month; a production worker Rupiah 1,360,000 a month. Why is yours so high hah? Would you charge just $10.00 in your tuition centre?

Didn't know Malaysia, Indonesia, Phililippines and Bangladesh are now developed countries.

Anyway, if you compared to the real developed world (US, western Europe) our PM still comes in top.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP should question whether the Review C'ttee took a long hard look at fundamentals and started with a blank slate or did it simply revise the numbers of the previous White Paper.

As usual, the tendency is to focus on the pragmatic aspects of implementation instead of going back to basics and ask why the sense of civic duty is absent among our elite and what is the best system for benchmark and why not benchmarking with first world leaders.

Last edited: