• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

One year leave for pregnant ladies !

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore employer giving 1 year leave for pregnant ladies ? hahaha .....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THANK you to Mr Yeh Siang Hui for penning such a mathematically precise letter ('Maternity leave not a perk', Aug 14) in response to other letters by working mothers. A total of 120 units of work per employee per year. One becomes pregnant, the other does not. One is productive, the other is not. A simple rationale to Mr Yeh. I say a simplistic example indeed.
Mr Yeh forgets there are many circumstances that require an employee, and even an employer, to be off work. Sickness, vacation, family emergencies (involving children or otherwise), pet emergencies, delays arriving home from abroad, accidents - the list goes on. How does one tabulate these reasons against those of childbirth? Can ushering in a new human being, most likely a future taxpayer, be such a meaningless event, that one counts dollars and cents in the three measly months of maternity leave currently provided?

Mr Yeh says there is nothing discriminatory in corporate practices that sideline a pregnant, and therefore female, employee. I beg to differ. Childbearing falls squarely on the shoulders of women. Conception does not. Society cannot suggest that women count for less. Thus, to regard a female employee bearing a child as compromising 'her level of accountability' is shortsighted.

Maternity leave is hardly a holiday. It is the bare minimum for a new mother to nurture, care, comfort, breastfeed and get to know her baby without the expectation to show up for work at 9am the next day. And let us not forget that postpartum, the new mother requires time to recover physically, mentally and emotionally. I cannot express how fortunate I have been. My personal experience has been so different from the sad stories I hear from my friends who are working mothers in Singapore. They have been either blatantly passed over for promotion, fired or scared into having no more children. Tell me that is not discriminatory.

In Toronto, Canada where I have lived for the past seven years, I have been given a year off, with�benefits,�each time I had a child, without fear of ever losing my job. And without even a hint of irony, it is my employer who reminds me that my family comes first, not work. In the year I am away, a replacement may be hired or some reshuffling of responsibilities may take place, but at no time have I ever heard the whingeing and whining that commonly pervades workplaces in Singapore. And at no time can my employer ever use my pregnancy as an excuse to pass me over or have me fired. These are governed by law and the penalties are severe. I can work and have children as long as I please. The mindset of the petty Singaporean has to change before the tired working mother is given the credit long overdue to her.

Ho Liying (Ms)

Toronto, Canada

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leave is after birth...

they should also do something BEFORE birth.....

like making public transport more friendly towards them......imagine you have to take a train while being 9 months pregnant and have to stand all the way from one end to the other end. this does not include taking bus and walking all the way to your office.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In Toronto, Canada where I have lived for the past seven years, I have been given a year off, with�benefits,�each time I had a child, without fear of ever losing my job.

Good place to emigrate and have a life.