• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Once again TOP 'O'level students are Foreigners

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
我国没有人才. Hai...

St Nicholas girls top O-level exams again
20120110.091306_chij430.jpg

By Gwendolyn Ng
my paper
Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012
With the release of the results for last year's O-level examinations yesterday, history has repeated itself for the fourth consecutive year at CHIJ St Nicholas Girls' School. But this time round, the school has produced not just one, but two of the nation's top scorers - Zhong Yingyi, 17, and Chai Yung Ci, 16.

Singapore's third top scorer is Lim Min, 16, from Crescent Girls' School.

In bagging 10 A1s each, the three students pipped their cohort of 36,955 students who sat the GCE O-level examinations last year.

The St Nicholas Girls' stellar track record stretches back to 1983, when the current principal, Mrs Tan Wai Lan, who had been a student at the school then, emerged as the nation's top O-level scorer.

It was a feeling of deja vu for Mrs Tan, who recalled her happiness when the school called her with the good news nearly three decades ago.

She said: "It's history repeating itself. I'm very happy that, over the years, the school has continued to keep up its standards."

When Yung Ci, who is Malaysian, arrived in Singapore from Kuala Lumpur at the age of 13 on an Asean Scholarship, she did not expect to do so well.

She said: "My friends always teased me, saying that I would become the top scorer, but I didn't take it seriously."

Her father, 55, who works as an engineer, and her mother, 50, a teacher, were overjoyed to receive the news when she called them in Malaysia, she said.

Meanwhile, Yingyi was shell-shocked when she got the news, because she could barely speak a word of English when she arrived from China seven years ago to join her 48-year-old father, who works as an engineer.

Now a Singaporean, she brushed up on her English by practising with her friends and watching English movies.

Like many other teenagers, Yingyi is hooked on Korean popular culture. In fact, she would wake up to K-pop songs - activated by her mobile phone's alarm function - every morning as a way of motivating herself for each school day.

"I couldn't attend many showcases as the Korean idols always came at times when I was preparing for my exams," she said, referring to the slew of Korean acts which came at the end of last year.

With a glint in her eye, she revealed that her 43- year-old mother, who runs a tuition agency here, has promised to buy her a ticket to watch her favourite Korean stars when they next come to town.

Lim Min was stunned when her father woke her up yesterday with the news. The Singaporean is the only child of a scientist-father, 46, and a secretary-mother, also 46.

Her schoolmate, Ramesh Ritika, 16, was among the six Indian top scorers here - all with a score of 9 A1s.

There were three Malay top scorers, including Nur Fatima Baginda Ali of Bukit Panjang Government High School. The top Eurasian student was Keren Ann Henry of Methodist Girls' School (Secondary).

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In other words it's not the Spore education system that creates good student:confused:.

Will be interesting to see how they develop latter on. As they become more localised will they lose their top student status as they stay longer in Spore?

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are all the top students of past exams now? How many of them have become millionaires/billionaires? What significant achievements, scientific or otherwise, are there to their names? How many of you here have heard of these people: Suresh Sahadevan, Lee Tung Jean, Wong Kais, Teo Cher Min? :rolleyes:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
In other words it's not the Spore education system that creates good student:confused:.

Will be interesting to see how they develop latter on. As they become more localised will they lose their top student status as they stay longer in Spore?

Only simplistic thinkers such as Singaporeans would fail to delineate the exact causal factors of scholastic achievements and simply credit Kuan Yew's government for what is patently the triumph of individual will. Or to put it succinctly, Sinkies are brainwashed. :smile:

[video=youtube;B4puhfLTzdc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4puhfLTzdc&feature=related[/video]