• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

OMG....satik Big Shot Si tio sabo by Tiongkok market and Huat Big Big liao

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore hedge fund Asia Genesis Asset Management is closing down its flagship macro fund as investors bolted after its managers made “big mistakes” and lost confidence following wrong-way bets on Chinese and Japanese stocks.

The fund said it would return money to investors as it was the logical and prudent way forward to avoid incurring further losses, according to a letter to fund investors seen by the Post. Genesis suffered an unprecedented withdrawal of about 19 per cent of its fund in the first few weeks this month.

“We made big mistakes in the recent sharp Nikkei and Hong Kong moves, which went in opposite directions,” Chua Soon Hock, founder and chief investment officer, said in the letter. “I am astounded by the incredible Nikkei-Hang Seng spread that priced Chinese versus Japanese stocks at the same value as in 1991, despite current economic realities.”

The Hang Seng Index has tumbled more than 12 per cent this year up to January 22 to a 15-month low, while the broader market lost US$439 billion of market value, according to Bloomberg data, while the Nikkei 225 shot past a 34-year high. Overall, the Nikkei 225 has outperformed the Hang Seng Index by 64 percentage points in total returns since the start of 2023.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
The firm declined to comment. Chua did not immediately reply to a phone call and text message for comment. Bloomberg reported the fund’s closure earlier on Tuesday.

Chua, in an interview with the Post last month, called stocks in Hong Kong a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity to generate big upside. He added that the local stock market had priced in all the bad news, and that “risk reward is the best I have seen in 40 years of investing and trading.” Instead, the market slumped further.

We made another mistake by trying to pick the bottom of the Hang Seng and the Hang Seng Tech indices,” he said in the letter to investors. “I still do not understand the inconsistency of China policymakers not fighting against deflation, leading to the continued loss of market confidence and prolonged bear market.”

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Market valuation has also eroded by 56 per cent in terms of price-earnings multiple and fundraising across markets in Hong Kong and China markets has shrunk by 58 per cent, the US investment bank added.

“I have reached the stage whereby my confidence as a trader is lost,” Chua told investors in the letter on its immiment closure.

“The recent tough trading – October, November, December 2023 followed by a disastrous January 2024 – has proven that my past experience is no longer valid and instead, is working against me,” he added. “I have lost my knowledge, trading and psychological edge.”

https://www.scmp.com/business/marke...g-way-bets-china-japan-stock-markets#comments

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

China Weighs Stock Market Rescue Package Backed by $278 Billion​

• China considers offshore money for stabilization fund: sources
  • Some policy measures could come as soon as this week

By Bloomberg News
January 23, 2024 at 9:57 AM GMT+8
Updated on
January 23, 2024 at 10:44 AM GMT+8

Chinese authorities are considering a package of measures to stabilize the slumping stock market, according to people familiar with the matter, after earlier attempts to restore investor confidence fell short and prompted Premier Li Qiang to call for “forceful” steps.

Policymakers are seeking to mobilize about 2 trillion yuan ($278 billion), mainly from the offshore accounts of Chinese state-owned enterprises, as part of a stabilization fund to buy shares onshore through the Hong Kong exchange link, said the people, asking not to be identified discussing a private matter.

They have also earmarked at least 300 billion yuan of local funds to invest in onshore shares through China Securities Finance Corp. or Central Huijin Investment Ltd., the people said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/tips/

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Markets

India Tops Hong Kong as World’s Fourth-Largest Stock Market​

• South Asian nation remains an investor darling in the new year
  • China’s economic struggles have stymied growth in Hong Kong

By Ashutosh Joshi
January 23, 2024 at 9:28 AM GMT+8
Updated on
January 23, 2024 at 1:17 PM GMT+8

India’s stock market capitalization has overtaken Hong Kong’s for the first time as the South Asian nation’s growth prospects and policy reforms make it an investor darling while global capital pours out of China.

The combined value of shares listed on Indian exchanges reached $4.33 trillion as of Monday’s close, versus $4.29 trillion for Hong Kong, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That makes India the fourth-biggest equity market globally. Its value crossed $4 trillion for the first time on Dec. 5, with about half of that coming in the past four years.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Markets

Asia Stocks Mostly Advance as China Rally Resumes: Markets Wrap​

• China shares jumped on news of market rescue package
  • Yen extended gains after BOJ chief commented on price outlook

The Tokyo Stock Exchange in Tokyo, Japan.

The Tokyo Stock Exchange in Tokyo, Japan.
Photographer: Akio Kon/Bloomberg
By Divya Patil and Winnie Hsu
January 23, 2024 at 6:35 AM GMT+8
Updated on
January 23, 2024 at 3:11 PM GMT+8
Save
Asian shares mostly rose as mainland Chinese stocks rejoined a broader rally on news of a fresh market rescue package. The yuan also extended gains.
A gauge of Chinese firms listed in Hong Kong jumped 3.2%, with the CSI 300 onshore benchmark erasing earlier losses to add 0.4%. Authorities are seeking to mobilize about 2 trillion yuan ($278 billion), mainly from the offshore accounts of Chinese state-owned enterprises, as part of a stabilization fund to buy shares onshore, according to people familiar with the matter.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...tion-and-rock-bottom-consumer-confidence.html

It's really bad': China strategist warns of deflation and rock-bottom consumer confidence​

PUBLISHED MON, JAN 22 2024 6:06 PM EST

Ruxandra Iordache
@RMIORDACHE
WATCH LIVE

KEY POINTS
  • "I've been in China for 27 years, and this is probably the lowest confidence I've ever seen," Shaun Rein, founder of the China Market Research Group, told CNBC Monday.
  • He forecasts that China will experience "another 3-6 months minimum of a very painful economy."
  • The world's second-largest economy has faced a slower-than-expected recovery in 2023 after exiting Covid-19 restrictions.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sc...flee-wrong-way-bets-china-japan-stock-markets

Big mistakes’: Singapore hedge fund to shut after investors flee on wrong-way bets on China, Japan stock markets​

• Asia Genesis to shut macro fund after stock slump in Hong Kong, rally in Japan wrong-footed veteran managers
  • ‘I have reached the stage whereby my confidence as a trader is lost,’ founder and CIO says in letter to investors seen by the Post
OMG, this TS incoherent thread title proves he is a retard