• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 retro (best mirrorless camera of 2012)

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Panasonic GX1/14mm 2.5

96786FC93EA04F17BD29105341F391CA.jpg

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
nice camera cheap price, i see only one major problem, no grip, even with my hands, i cannot hold the camera with the tiny grip on the right. 5N on the hand have very good grip.

Any idea whether the rest of Sony's DSLR lens range is usable on this camera? Any adapter rings for lenses from other makes like Canon,

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
you probably know nothing about micro 4/3, micro 4/3 lenses have high distortion, but uses lenses software to correct for the distortion when taking jpg, operate at narrower zoom range does not affect geometric distortion. It's all corrected by software.

Sam complained about barrel distortion so evidently the software correction did not correct enough. How well does it actually correct for distortion of zoom lens at different positions?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sam complained about barrel distortion so evidently the software correction did not correct enough. How well does it actually correct for distortion of zoom lens at different positions?

sam leong complain about everything, his just got his camera for a few days, in a few weeks, all would be sorted out.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any idea whether the rest of Sony's DSLR lens range is usable on this camera? Any adapter rings for lenses from other makes like Canon,

yes all sony dslr lens can be used with Sony LA-EA2 Alpha NEX Camera Mount Adapter on NEX
905015906_260.jpg

other lens can be used on NEX, almost all lens in the world can be used on NEX, using manual focus through adapter.
The most expensive, novoflex - germany to metabones - china and fotodiox - USA.
Using these adapter, you can use any lens in the world, but of course, manual focus and manual aperture if available.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nice camera cheap price, i see only one major problem, no grip, even with my hands, i cannot hold the camera with the tiny grip on the right. 5N on the hand have very good grip.

Hi Singveld, compare the price between C3 and 5N, would you spend the extra to get the 5N? Basically I am looking for a camera with wide angle lens and large aperture,, F2.0 but only panasonic have that,,,,any recommendations? I am in a dilemma, I like the SOny sensor size but hate the sony lens,,,Panansonic have good lens,,but sensor small,,,cant these manufacturers make something good?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Singveld, compare the price between C3 and 5N, would you spend the extra to get the 5N? Basically I am looking for a camera with wide angle lens and large aperture,, F2.0 but only panasonic have that,,,,any recommendations? I am in a dilemma, I like the SOny sensor size but hate the sony lens,,,Panansonic have good lens,,but sensor small,,,cant these manufacturers make something good?

yes pay more to get 5N, if you cannot grip the camera probably, how to take sharp stable shot. never mind about lens. if you do not like sony lens, buy adapter and use any lens you like.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes pay more to get 5N, if you cannot grip the camera probably, how to take sharp stable shot. never mind about lens. if you do not like sony lens, buy adapter and use any lens you like.

yes will do,,,will research the adapters next,,,thanks again mate

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:

Are Carl Zeiss lenses any better than the normal range of Sony lenses.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are Carl Zeiss lenses any better than the normal range of Sony lenses.

there is only one carl Zeiss lens in sony NEX lineup. Everyone said that it is a good lens, but no one like the price. It cost more than 5N. There are rumors that new NEX camera are coming soon.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Get the Panasonic 7~14 mm lens. It's a lot better than the Olympus 9~18.

OlympusP5050201.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Downtown cafe..... A bit of barrel distortion but far less than the Olympus lenses and no colour fringing. If you shoot jpg, the camera has built in barrel distortion correction. This one was shot in RAW format.

OlympusP5050191.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Full size photo pls, i am checking the photo on the web, some said it is close to 5d2, i do not see that in both M5 or Xpro1. Nothing beats a full frame DSLR. except medium format.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Full size photo pls, i am checking the photo on the web, some said it is close to 5d2, i do not see that in both M5 or Xpro1. Nothing beats a full frame DSLR. except medium format.

I'll upload them later to a different site and give you the link.

My Nikon D3 definitely produces better quality images at the same ISO. However, the ease of use and the stealth factor of this camera is what made photos such as the ones above possible. Had I used my nikon, there would have been no way I could have shot those images unnoticed.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll upload them later to a different site and give you the link.

My Nikon D3 definitely produces better quality images at the same ISO. However, the ease of use and the stealth factor of this camera is what made photos such as the ones above possible. Had I used my nikon, there would have been no way I could have shot those images unnoticed.

i know, i like the stealth, but i do not want to compromise too much on IQ from my 5d2.

You know what i think, in a few years time, when full frame mirrorless camera start appearing. Or medium format mirrorless camera, with silent shutter. Things going to get real exciting in photography.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Singveld,

just your opinion on sensor size. As chat about the Sony NEX, it has the largest sensor as its APS-C and the other mirrorless uses smaller micro 4/3 sensors. should sensor size be the main determinant for photo quality?? Is the bigger sensor the better? Thanks,,I am asking as I am torn between Sony NEX5 and Panasonic GX1..Sony I dont like due to the lenses available and no built in flash,,have to attach the flash which has propriety 'plug'