• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old Man's Daughter vs Devan Nair's son

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the siblings were growing up, those outside the family, those in Govt and their minders felt that LWL was very similar to her father. They also thought she would make a better leader than her brother.

She used to put her hands up for everything and she persuaded her parents to allow her to follow her elder brother for pre NS physical conditioning. The instructors felt that she was much better than he was.

Note that when she began writing her articles, it was similar in style to the old man and it was felt that she was filling his shoes as he was getting very fragile. Now that he is gone, I suspect that she is lost. There was also this sense that she was very protective of her father and took on those who he trusted but she felt was making use of her father. The incident with Philip Yeo comes to mind.

But who was closest? LWL or LHL?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
dklcsdkcsdklcnsdklcnsdklcnsd

12963372_551226715060007_1742041074783788007_n.jpg

When janadas has to reference the SDP website in order to drive home an argument, you know he must be desperate.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He and the family moved to the US nearly 20 years ago. Wife Geraldine works there and they have a house in Austin Texas. After what happened to the father, he was given a job in SPH and submitted articles while residing in the US. Interestingly he was appointed Deputy Secretary in the Civil Service, second only to PS. Commutes now.

So, he pays US taxes. Willing to give up so much money to Uncle Sam.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When the siblings were growing up, those outside the family, those in Govt and their minders felt that LWL was very similar to her father. They also thought she would make a better leader than her brother.

She used to put her hands up for everything and she persuaded her parents to allow her to follow her elder brother for pre NS physical conditioning. The instructors felt that she was much better than he was.

Note that when she began writing her articles, it was similar in style to the old man and it was felt that she was filling his shoes as he was getting very fragile. Now that he is gone, I suspect that she is lost. There was also this sense that she was very protective of her father and took on those who he trusted but she felt was making use of her father. The incident with Philip Yeo comes to mind.

Scrooballs amazing that you not only know the lee family so well you even know the instructors that were present when pinkie went for his pre NS physical and what actually transpired between them, their thoughts on LWL and pinkie. I am sure they must have written out about it or who knows maybe they met you for coffee despite such a huge age gap between you and them, in fact there is quite an age gap between you, pinky and LWL. Let's see she's 61 this year and he's 64, you mark andrew yeo is around early 50s so the age gap would be around 10 years so you would be like around 8 years old when he went for his check up. :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The war of words rages on ......

Janadas Devan chides Lee Kuan Yew’s daughter for not fact checking – claims ST editor was not scolded by PM
By The Independent - April 4, 2016 6 18265
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

UPDATE: Dr Lee responded to Mr Devan’s snide remark in her Facebook. We republish her remark in full:

“Janadas, read my post carefully. I stated that Cheong Yip Seng told me, “not scolded, just to point out a few issues.” As for what you said to me, it was some years ago, you were expressing anger that Cheong was not straight with father. I could not remember your precise words, but I clearly remembered your emotion. Why else would I bring it up with Pa what you said.

Would Cheong Yip Seng email to PM without someone telling him to do so? I was told that Cheong was scolded by (Lee Hsien) Loong, but I stated in my facebook post, that Cheong Yip Seng told me, “not scolded, just to point out a few issues.”

Do read carefully before you make a fuss. Cheong himself tried to trivialize what transpired between him and PM. But the PAP cadre told me, “Cheong was scolded and didn’t understand why he was being scolded.” I cannot release the identity of the PAP cadre in case punitive action is taken against him.”

Janadas Devan, Chief of Government Communications, has responded to Dr Lee Wei Ling’s post that he did not accuse the ex-editor of The Straits Times, Mr Cheong Yip Seng, as being sly. He further claimed that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong did not call the editor to scold him.

In his comments posted on Dr Lee’s Facebook post, Mr Devan said:

“One, PM Lee did not call Mr Cheong Yip Seng, much less “scold him”. Mr Cheong emailed PM about his book and PM replied. This tallies with Mr Cheong’s own account, as he has conveyed to you, confirming he wasn’t “scolded”.

Two, Mr Lee Kuan Yew did not write a foreword to Mr Cheong’s book, as you claim. He had provided a blurb – a few words for the back cover of the book.

Three, I did not “complain” to you that Mr Cheong was “sly” to have asked Mr Lee for a “foreword” and then “criticised” him in the book. These are your characterisations of what happened, not mine.

What I told you after the book appeared was that Mr Lee had written a blurb for it without being informed clearly what the book was about, let alone that a good chunk of it was about him. And that was why many people, including reviewers online, were surprised that Mr Lee appeared to have endorsed the book.

To get an idea of the reaction, you can see, from different perspectives, https://berthahenson.wordpress.com/…/20/finally-the-facts/ and http://yoursdp.org/publ/perspectives/2-1-0-1179.

Should fact check before reporting what others are supposed to have said. Wish you well in your new FB venture. Trust it will result in a Hakka Daughter II one day.”

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scrooballs amazing that you not only know the lee family so well you even know the instructors that were present when pinkie went for his pre NS physical and what actually transpired between them, their thoughts on LWL and pinkie. I am sure they must have written out about it or who knows maybe they met you for coffee despite such a huge age gap between you and them, in fact there is quite an age gap between you, pinky and LWL. Let's see she's 61 this year and he's 64, you mark andrew yeo is around early 50s so the age gap would be around 10 years so you would be like around 8 years old when he went for his check up. :rolleyes:

ching chong nigger, you are a bloody fool! you still think scroo is Mark? moron.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
BY
VALERIE KOH
[email protected]ISHED: 9:49 PM, APRIL 4, 2016UPDATED: 12:38 AM, APRIL 5, 2016
SINGAPORE — The trigger for an online exchange between Dr Lee Wei Ling and Mr Janadas Devan was a “serious allegation” she made about his conduct while he was an editor with The Straits Times (ST), Mr Devan said on Monday (April 4).

Responding to TODAY’s queries via text messages, the 61-year-old senior government official, who is currently travelling, stressed that he posted responses to Dr Lee’s comments in his private capacity. What was said by Dr Lee — who is the daughter of founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew — amounted to “a serious allegation about my conduct in my previous occupation”.

Mr Devan worked for ST before he was appointed Chief of Government Communications in 2012. The exchange between Dr Lee and Mr Devan was a major talking point on social media in recent days, which began with Dr Lee’s Facebook post on March 25 stating that her father would have cringed at the hero worship just one year after his death.

Subsequently, Dr Lee, 61, who was a contributor to ST, said she put up the article on Facebook because “the editors there do not allow me freedom of speech” and she also announced that she would stop writing for the newspaper.

Mr Devan, who is the son of former President Devan Nair, told TODAY: “Dr Lee alleged that she had three editors (over the years) and all three editors acted improperly with regard to her articles. I was one of the editors, as many people know.”

He added: “Not to have replied to deny such insinuations means I accept them… Dr Lee must know you can’t make such allegations about people and expect them to keep quiet.”

Over the weekend, Dr Lee put up several Facebook posts on the matter. On Saturday, she alleged that Mr Devan had portrayed former Singapore Press Holdings’ English and Malay Newspapers Division Editor-in-Chief Cheong Yip Seng as “sly”, for asking the late Mr Lee to write a blurb in his book, OB Markers, and criticising him in the same book. Among other things, she also wrote that a People’s Action Party cadre told her that her brother, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, “had called up Cheong to scold him”.

On Sunday, Dr Lee wrote about the “love-hate relationship” between her and the editors. She also said that Mr Devan had texted her from Texas, United States, to say that he “never called Cheong sly”. Dr Lee said she could not recall Mr Devan’s exact words during the conversation in 2013. “But he expressed his displeasure with Cheong with great emotion and this was directed to the fact that Cheong made use of my father. ‘Sly’ seemed appropriate word to convey what he said to me,” she said.

At around midnight on Monday, Mr Devan left a comment on Dr Lee’s Facebook to clarify, among other things, that the Prime Minister did not call Mr Cheong, “much less ‘scold him’”. He also said that Dr Lee’s descriptions of the incident involving Mr Cheong were inaccurate and were her “characterisations of what happened”.

(click to enlarge)

On Monday afternoon, Mr Devan left another comment.

“Much as I dislike publicly contradicting a friend, there is no alternative,” he said. “We are expected to believe she suffered so much oppression, writing for ST, that she willingly persisted with the experience over almost ten miserable years… How credible can that be?”

Reading Dr Lee’s unedited stories was “like sailing through a fog” but Mr Devan denied censoring her articles. “Of course, like with any writer, she was fact-checked to make sure she did not inadvertently make inaccurate or misleading statements. That’s not ‘censorship’; that’s called editing.”

(click to enlarge)

In response, Dr Lee said she could not remember his precise words over the Cheong incident but she “clearly remembered” his emotion. Giving her account of what she was told by Mr Cheong and the PAP cadre — whom she could not name “in case punitive action is taken against him” — she also asked Mr Devan to “read carefully before you make a fuss”

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is difficult to trust someone who chose to work for those that cause the disgrace of his father. Furthermore, someone whose main credential (work) is ranked 154th and amongst the likes of North Korea, Zimbabwe, etc.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The irony is that both of them had similar issues with SPH. When Janadas Devan was in the US and submitting his weekly articles to ST one day they stopped publishing it and he was never told why. Have no idea who he cried to but he was subsequently brought in back to ST. The daughter clearly has lost her marbles. She crying out against censorship and curtailing freedom of speech is mind boggling. Its like Gaddafi's son asking for his rights to be protected.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The irony is that both of them had similar issues with SPH. When Janadas Devan was in the US and submitting his weekly articles to ST one day they stopped publishing it and he was never told why. Have no idea who he cried to but he was subsequently brought in back to ST. The daughter clearly has lost her marbles. She crying out against censorship and curtailing freedom of speech is mind boggling. Its like Gaddafi's son asking for his rights to be protected.

How dare the Minon bite back at Princess ? When a Princess say that you are unreasonable and you are a tyrant. You are one.

Now PAPA has gone, no one to back the freaky Princess up. Guess she might as well retire away from limelight.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excepts of Lee Wei Ling's article that ST refused to publish .....

https://www.facebook.com/weiling.lee.980/posts/214054645616853?pnref=story

But I also knew that my fellow Singaporeans and I must now prepare for life after Lee Kuan Yew.

Life seemed to return to normal for Singapore over the past year. Personally, it was a different story for me. That I don't express my emotion in public does not mean I am not hurting inside. The wound has only recently healed, and not even completely. So I declined to comment for publications marking the first anniversary of my father's death.

What made me write this article was a front page report in The Straits Times (Mar 21). It carried a photo of an outline of Papa's face made with 4,877 erasers that form an installation which is 2.3 m wide and 3.1 m tall, titled Our Father, Our Country, Our Flag.

That was the work of 110 Singaporeans aged 17 to 35 using erasers with the Singapore flag on it.

It was a well-meaning effort but it made me wince. Here is why:

The photo brought back memories of my first visit to China with my father in 1976.

It was the end of the Cultural Revolution and I have vivid memories of our delegation being greeted by young children lining the streets chanting loudly: "WELCOME, WELCOME, A VERY WARM WELCOME."

It was very contrived and my father was not impressed. We are Singaporeans, not prone to excessive, unnatural displays of emotion.

Papa merely waved at the children, as he would have done in Singapore. I refused to even do that. I stared straight ahead, feeling very sad for the people of the "Middle Kingdom" that was still run like a kingdom.

Our Chinese hosts noticed our responses. The Singapore delegation did not come as though we were returning to our ancestral country, nor as representatives of a vessel state. When we bade the PRC delegation farewell at the China Hong Kong boundary, the PRC chief protocol officer said to Lee Khoon Choy, "Your PM is a tough man." We didn't think he meant only physically tough. They could not melt us with their over exuberant display of goodwill. We continued to behave as Singaporeans as opposed to PRC Chinese.

I acknowledge the outline of Papa's face made with erasers as a sincere gesture. But in looking at acts of commemoration in general, I would ask how the time, effort and resources used to prepare these would benefit Singapore and Singaporeans.

I also question the need for a commemoration so soon after Papa deaths, when last year’s event still hang heavy on the hearts and minds of some people. Allow me to compare how two other world leaders who were adored or apparently adored were commemorated by their government and/or people. Firstly when Chairman Mao died on 9 September 1976, the country was in shock. This was partly the result of the keenly felt loss of a semi-divine leader, but also caused by the enormous uncertainty about what the future held in stock for China and its people. The power struggle between Jiang Qing and the Gang of Four on the one hand, and Mao's designated successor Hua Guofeng on the other, which had been smoldering for some time caused grave anxiety for many people in China. However, on 6 October 1976, within a month after Mao's death, Hua had the Gang of Four arrested. Two days after the arrest of the Gang, the highest organs of the party and the state decided that a Memorial Hall would be built as a permanent tribute to the founder of the People's Republic. On 24 November 1976, the foundation stone for the gigantic building, located to the south of the Monument to the People's Heroes on Tiananmen Square was put in place. The construction went on day and night, and the building was finished on 29 August 1977. On that same day, Mao's body, which had been embalmed and placed in a crystal sarcophagus, was moved to the Hall. On 9 September 1977, a ceremony was held to commemorate the anniversary of Mao's death and the completion of the Hall.

The anniversary of the funeral of Winston Churchill took place 50 years after the actual funeral on 30 January 1965, which brought the capital to a standstill and took place a week after his death aged 90 on 24 January, is being marked by scores of events, including a service and wreath laying at the Houses of Parliament, a memorial service at Westminster Abbey, and the rebroadcast by BBC Parliament of the original live coverage. In a tribute to his most famous predecessor, the prime minister, David Cameron, said: “Half a century after his death, Winston Churchill’s legacy continues to inspire not only the nation whose liberty he saved, but the entire world. His words and his actions reverberate through our national life today.”

Compare the actual time from death to the first commemoration, and the different activities involved in the commemoration in the twi leaders above. Which one would Papa wish commemoration to resemble. Also bear in mind, that unlike almost all leaders, Papa was dead set against a personality cult and any hint of cronyism. If he was forced to choose one form of commemoration, Papa would have objected the less if the commemoration resembled that held for Winston Churchill. Do note that Churchill unlike Papa cherished glory and a place in the history of his county. Compare what Churchill’s commemoration which was conducted 50 years after his death with the activities that have been taking place in Singapore that will continue for an entire week. I think Papa would have objected if he were able to convey his view.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://theindependent.sg/lee-wei-li...he-newspaper-to-be-unbiased-in-its-reporting/

Lee Wei Ling’s stance against The Straits Times reminds the newspaper to be unbiased in its reporting

By The Independent - April 3, 2016

Many have previously observed that The Straits Times often works against free speech by refusing to publish letters, articles and comments which go against the opinion they wish to present. In many incidences of such alleged censorship, reports on public interest issues have been arguably slanted and unobjective.

The danger to that is that the public’s right to information is compromised because of The Straits Times apparent agenda. To compound things, The Straits Times is the only major English publication in Singapore which the government openly recognises and quite possibly the only English print media outlet that the government grants interviews and directly engages with. Given their privilege of access, it is concerning that it then seemingly uses this privilege to influence the public to a certain view which many have deemed as biased.

Dr Lee Wei Ling, daughter of the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew has just announced that she will no longer write for The Straits Times because of the “editorial curbs” that have been imposed by the publication (http://theindependent.sg/lee-kuan-yews-daughter-says-she-will-no-longer-write-for-sph/) I can only speculate that this decision has something to do with the paper’s refusal to publish her views over the “hero worship” of her father after her Face Book posts.

Given that she is the late Mr Lee’s daughter, I would have imagined that her views on the commemoration events would have been very relevant. The fact that her opinion was not carried by the paper is curious and lends evidence to accusations levelled at the paper for allowing the promotion of a certain agenda to trump the public’s right to objective and unfettered information.

The Straits Times has oft been labelled as the mouthpiece of the PAP government. Given Dr Lee’s past affiliation with the paper and her close affinity to the political powerbase in Singapore, the fact that she has chosen to publicly criticise The Straits Times for editorial curbs is revealing and can be viewed as a strong indictment against the editorial practices of the paper.

While Dr Lee is not and has never been involved in politics, her position as Mr Lee’s only daughter has certainly made her privy to the workings of the Singapore government and how the government relates to the media. Given this relationship, I am certain that she would not have taken the decision to break with the paper lightly. The fact that she has speaks volumes on the seriousness of the so called “editorial curbs”.

Dr Lee sets an example in speaking out against undue editorial curbs and censorship which seem to serve no purpose apart from promoting certain self serving stances. It is however important to note that she is in a good position to constructively criticise given her standing with the powers be. The Straits Times will not be in a rush to take her to task in the way they would with average Joe.

Given the publicity that this incident has garnered, I would sincerely hope that The Straits Times takes its
responsibilities to the people of Singapore seriously and respects the public’s right to information. If Dr Lee with her political connections and close relationship to the paper can publicly take it to task at risk of embarrassing certain associates, the problem of undue censorship must be even larger than perceived.

Perhaps this is a gentle reminder to the paper that its main business is the report of unbiased news. It is not a PR firm who should be protecting any agenda apart from the truth.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Warren Fernandez is a PAP member as well as Straits Times Editor.

http://theindependent.sg/wei-ling-vs-straits-times-the-one-unanswered-question/

Wei Ling vs Straits Times – the one unanswered question

By The Independent - April 5, 2016

Just a quick note.

In the ongoing saga triggered by a Facebook post from Lee Kuan Yew’s daughter, Lee Wei Ling, the Straits Times editor has responded to charges by Ms Lee that “three successive editors who had worked with her on her past columns were all ‘commanded to edit certain issues out’.”

“This is altogether unfounded,” the Straits Times’ editor, Warren Fernandez, wrote in a note in the paper on Tuesday, 5 April.

As one noted online, it is strange for the editor to write such a note when the paper itself had avoided reporting on the spat, triggered by Ms Lee’s post, between her and the Chief of Government Communications, Janadas Devan.

Ms Lee had accused the paper of wanting to edit out her articles in her column, which she had been writing for for some years.

Specifically, the particular article in question is one in which she decried the “hero worship” of her father on his death anniversary last month. She said the adulation made her “wince”, and that her father himself would “cringe” at the “level” of knee-bending and prostration from the Lee faithful.

Apparently, she has submitted the article to the Straits Times for her column, but the newspaper refused to publish it.

In his note, Mr Fernandez did not elaborate on what the paper found problematic with her article, or why it had chosen not to publish it.

Mr Fernandez would only say:

“Her recent demand that her latest column be published unedited, after a week of editing and e-mail exchanges, was simply not acceptable.”

Her demand may be “simply not acceptable”, but what about her article was so unpublishable, or not worthy of publication?

In fact, going by the reaction to her article when Ms Lee posted it on her Facebook page, it was quite well received.

To date, there are some 7, 573 shares on it.

Considering that Ms Lee has only 403 friends on the page, the post can be said to have been disseminated quite a bit.

So, actually, if you side-step all the drama, there is only one very simple question for the Straits Times to answer:

Why did it not want to publish Lee Wei Ling’s post about how the “hero worship” of her father made her “wince”, and that her father would himself “cringe” at the “level” of worship?

What was it about the article that the newspaper found so objectionable?

Warren Fernandez’s note does not answer this question.

Now that Ms Lee has published the original, unedited copy of her article, perhaps she should publish the ST-edited version, so that the public can judge for themselves if the edits were justified.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be honest there is nothing in her article that should be edited. Anyone with a brain would know that it is her view. She citing the conduct of China in the way they treat their leaders including the one who murdered 40 million of them is good to know,

Warren Fernandez was looked after very well by the establishment but I do know that he does not want to be caught out in a lie. They did not want to publish it because they did not want to throw cold water on sycophants in this country that were busy doing what polumpars do best to celebrate the anniversary of their idol. Because he did not want to reveal one can only surmise that he was given direct instruction not to.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST published PAP MP Christopher de Souza's forum letter rebutting and questioning SDP's Dr Paul Tambyah, but ST however refused to publish Dr Paul Tambyah's letter replying to De Souza's letter.

Dear Warren Fernandez and Straits Times, is this call "editing" or "censorship" by refusing to publish Dr Paul Tambyah's forum letter reply ?? Don't people have a right of reply ??

http://yoursdp.org/news/st_refuses_..._s_reply_to_pap_39_s_de_souza/2016-03-22-6111

ST refuses to publish Prof Tambyah's reply to PAP's De Souza

2016 » March » 22

We thank Mr Christopher de Souza for his letter (“Strong defence budget key to S’pore’s survival”; Feb 29). However, we would like to clarify some issues that he raised.

First, the Singapore Democratic Party has never questioned the call for an appropriate strong defence posture. Neither have we ever called for a “40 per cent cut in defence spending”.

Page 66 of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) healthcare plan states: “We propose progressively reducing defence spending to about 2 per cent of gross domestic product, or about 13 per cent of total Budget spending, within three to five years.”

This was one of a number of sources of revenue that the SDP proposed for increased government health expenditure (the others included a luxury tax and a tax on foreign home buyers).

Our aim is to bring government expenditure on healthcare to $10.5 billion a year to fund a comprehensive national health insurance plan.

The Government has already increased its health expenditure to $7.3 billion in financial year (FY) 2014 (compared with $4.9 billion in FY2012), and reduced defence expenditure as a share of total government expenditure from 26 per cent of total government expenditure in 2009 to 19 per cent of total government expenditure in the 2015 Budget.

Indeed, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s wife and Temasek Holdings chief Ho Ching has pointed out that the Government has already reduced its defence expenditure by half as a proportion of gross domestic product.

The SDP welcomes this progressive reallocation of funds despite the geopolitical challenges around us, as it shows some recognition of the social needs of Singaporeans.

Second, the SDP has never suggested any cuts in the Home Team budget in any of our policy proposals.
Indeed, in a posting on our website following the Commission of Inquiry on the Little India riot, we called for strengthening the Home Team after the commission highlighted shortfalls in equipment and manpower.

Total defence involves more than just the uniformed services – it also involves the well-being of Singaporeans, which is an integral part of psychological defence.

We are pleased with the way the Government has been redirecting funding from defence to social spending over the last few years.

We hope that the upcoming Budget continues to reflect the importance of strengthening the social support system for all Singaporeans while preserving a strong holistic defence position – military, civil and social.

Paul Tambyah (Dr)
Central Executive Committee
Singapore Democratic Party

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so pinkie and her husband cannot control her youngest "brother" huh. now pap become dog bite dog and wash dirty linen in public.

seriously cannot care less as shittime only good for dog to poo on and whatever the butch wrote were nothing but self praise.:oIo:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST published PAP MP Christopher de Souza's forum letter rebutting and questioning SDP's Dr Paul Tambyah, but ST however refused to publish Dr Paul Tambyah's letter replying to De Souza's letter.

Dear Warren Fernandez and Straits Times, is this call "editing" or "censorship" by refusing to publish Dr Paul Tambyah's forum letter reply ?? Don't people have a right of reply ??

fuck off Paul. SDP is a one man show governed by CSJ not you

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Founding Daughter is a liar

Janadas Devan, ex-associate editor of the Straits Times, accuses the Founding Daughter of being a liar. The latter is a member of the "highly esteemed and revered" Familee, whose eldest son is the current Chief Natural Aristocrat.

For those who didn't already know, the Founding Daughter and her two older brothers are President's Scholars and their achievements have earned them the title of "exceptional family", a title given by Emeritus porlumpar and seat-warmer Woody Goh.

To be awarded a President's scholarship, the candidate is expected to perform exceptionally well at exams, including a distinction in General Paper at A-levels.

It comes as a shock that the Founding Daughter's writing has been judged as "foggy" by the Straits Times. In addition, according to the same ex-editor, her writings had to be extensively reworked to be made presentable to the public.

Source: "Editing is not the same as censorship", Forum page, page A25, The Straits Times, April 5, 2016