• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old Dud's Ulterior Motive in Repressing SGs with "Asian Values"

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Manipulated asian values proposition that affects many singaporeans[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
October 13th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

images-28.jpg
Lee Kuan Yew, an outspoken proponent of Asian Values.

A plan suggested for acceptance by the masses under the pretext of Asian Values…

1) According to Asian values, filial piety must. Many Westerners are very likely to have never even heard of this phrase, though it conveys an universal theme. But most importantly, in comparison to the Chinese culture, relatively few Americans thoroughly comprehend its true meaning and significance, and therefore do not live by such a philosophy. According to them, its a way of offloading state responsibility of taking care of the aged to their children. In most western societies, the aged are taken care of by the state because they were once taxpayers and helped to build up the country. In Singapore,

2) Exam Meritocracy – Another state mechanism tool to control people and keep them subdued and in fear while giving privileges to a special few at the top of the societal hierarchy. Most western societies are egalitarian and the they believe in fair chances, Chances are given to prove oneself even though one make not make the mark and not predetermined . More often its emphasis on co-operation over competition over the well being of the environment

3) Under the western styled capitalist system in Singapore, these asian values do not fit in and cause more harm than good. Because these values are more in line with a distorted political socio economic agenda in the asian region

Proponents of “Asian values”, who tend to support Asian-style authoritarian governments,[citation needed] claim they are more appropriate for the region than the liberal values and institutions of the West. These values found expression in the Bangkok Declaration of 1993, which reemphasized the principles of sovereignty, self-determination, and noninterference.

A brief list of such “Asian Values” under this distorted system Predisposition towards single-party rule rather than political pluralism Preference for social harmony (see Fraternization) and consensus as opposed to confrontation and dissent Concern with socioeconomic well-being instead of civil liberties and human rights Preference for the welfare and collective well-being of the community over individual rights Loyalty and respect towards forms of authority including parents, teachers and government Collectivism and communitarianism over individualism and liberalism Authoritarian governments (which have certain responsibilities as well as privileges) as opposed to liberal democracy.

Nobody to be blame except us. (aka 60%?)

We are having strict Asian values, that holding to old values, without questioning weather it is right or wrong. There are still people who believe PAP is their only party. Our values prevent us from questioning from everything even to the existence of God. We ourselves are repressive when we keep voting the PAP in every election. When I heard, PAP said” We do what is right”. Right is a relative terms, right for your benefits? You see, even the MPs were manipulated and propagandized.

40 years of rules, what we have? properties that are beyond our means, we have million dollar ministers, place packed like sardines, high cost, so how do we grade ourselves? have we improves? or the other way round, who have improves? The PAP have lost its moral obligations to the people. Only we can do the changes.

But we will never as we are still holding to these old Asian values. When I was a kid I was punished several times for having liberal ideas towards everything, even God. That is what Asian values, they punished those who tries to be different.

Even if you or me even u are leaders or parents, we have got every right to question u. The PAPs hated it, as they know they make a lot of mistakes and do want to hold responsibility but we have to bear.

Why the minimum sums for CPF, ERP, Taxes, foreigners , do u think high populations will be detrimental? what I feared most, our cpf, which I believed they have mismanaged and we have to bear.

What is worst is that we are going downhill with no sign of an upturn

Nowadays the PAP hardly preaches these scam Asian values which were used for centuries to oppress Asia and stun its development.

If we used the Asian values back against them, they will not be able to answer us.

Where is their sense of responsibility for the country? When they make mistakes, they expect us to forgive

You can see for yourself, the Asian values they practice on us, and none on themselves.
Singaporean

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Asian Values thing is nonsense. Values are values - they are universal. Whem Mr. Lee made this huge hoohah about Asian Values, Sg, HK, Taiwan, and Korea (the Asian Tigers) were making great ecomonic strides and this confucian "thought" gave people in this area a sense of superiority over the rest of the world. It scored him genius points. To imply that others outside this geographical area do not respect their parents - what do you think?

I do not blame Mr. Lee for making the speech, he only wanted to give the home team a morale boost. But the fact that the Straits Times swallowed it an regurgitated it without questioning wtf was happening - that is blind. To me, the ST is the crappiest English language newspaper in the world. Have fun reading it.

Cheers!