• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Of Sabah KK Quake, TKPS and its after shocks...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Primary School Children Climbing Mount Kinabalu ???

So u want spore to degrade to Africa banana states that warlords kidnap children as child soldiers? Becareful of what u wish for.

we are already half a banana state with Kangaroo courts...almost the same in Liberia, or Congo Democratic Republic...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

we are already half a banana state with Kangaroo courts...almost the same in Liberia, or Congo Democratic Republic...

Our courts are independent. PAP do not win court cases simply by being PAP. PAP ministry recently lost a court case to WP. Where got kangaroo?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Our courts are independent. PAP do not win court cases simply by being PAP. PAP ministry recently lost a court case to WP. Where got kangaroo?

Ever heard of "give chance" a bit mah!....once in a while...now it's Koala...sorry, no more Kangaroos..

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

While this incident was tragic, don't use it as an excuse to shelter our kids from all sorts of possible risks. Like that, you might as well lock your kid up at home. In Singapore, kids get to handle guns even before they are old enough to vote. In Africa, primary school kids already can handle rifles.

sp1b9563.jpg

Africa is the best! And AK-47 some more, my favourite!

MaximiLian

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you are a 16 year old adventurous young adult signing an indemnity form yourself for a school trip it is still understandable. But do those primary school children who hasn't grown a strain of pubic hair even know the risk involved in scaling mountains where temperature can drop to sub zero degrees ???

Don't talk cock. Mt Kinabalu is only 4095m in height. Not even half of Everest !

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you are a 16 year old adventurous young adult signing an indemnity form yourself for a school trip it is still understandable. But do those primary school children who hasn't grown a strain of pubic hair even know the risk involved in scaling mountains where temperature can drop to sub zero degrees ???

School holidays mah, parents all kiasu and wanted their precious to conquer Kinabalu in some leadership course. Gotta give them the best headstart in life! :wink:

35046692_-_05_06_2015_-_khquake_1.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nowaday primary school got social study enrichment program. I know some school go to as far as New Zealand.

$$$. Income opportunity.

And that's the reason why many 'enrichment schools' are opening outlets islandwide. Mindstretchers is one that I can think of.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The star online: 10 students of Tanjong katong primary sch killed

If the parents are not happy they can go sue the mountain god or the earthquake god. :rolleyes:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

If the parents are not happy they can go sue the mountain god or the earthquake god. :rolleyes:

Sensitive period, bro. Not nice to mock people in their grief.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

According to Straits Times, the primary school kids took the Ferrata route.

xyaDEk9.png

Excerpt and photos from "Climbing Mount Kinabalu via Ferrata!" Blog
Note: This is not the students' blog.

“Basically the via ferrata route is a protected mountain pathway consisting of a series of rungs, rails, cables and bridges embracing the rock face. It allows access to scenic sections of the mountains that are typically available only to rock climbers and mountaineers.Designed for the brave and active with above-average fitness levels, this 4 – 6 hour route with an optional summit attempt includes rest stops at scenic locations.

GqRZV4b.png

When you reach Pendant Hut (base camp for Mt K), there will be a compulsory briefing at 3pm for all trekkers who will be doing the ferrata route. During this briefing, the trainer will teach you how to put on your harness as well as what you’ll have to do during the ferrata route itself.

BujDqnt.png

One key point to take note of for the ferrata is that, you MUST reach the starting point of the ferrata by 7.30am. I’ve heard that they’re really really very strict and even if you’re 1 minute late, they will not allow you to do the ferrata. With that in mind, we literally raced down the summit! We were afraid that we will be late for it. In the end we were 30 minutes early -.-

So anyway, here’s us, all getting ready to start on the ferrata! As you can see, i was really quite scared. Tip: don’t forget to apply sunblock all over your face and body! I was wearing my windbreaker initially, but eventually it got so hot and i removed it. The sun was directly shining on us against the cliff face that we were climbing. I could feel my skin getting burnt! And i forgot to apply sunblock on my arms :( Resulting in ugly tan lines!

Uk66sdc.png

9IRoSOO.png

29MyYyr.png

FQwT1C8.png

BzSpXh1.png

UdFg6fL.png

Last edited:

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Next time it will be Mt. Faber

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

although risk of death or serious injury is real, sinkies have to venture out of the safety of their comfort cocoon and explore the dangers of nature. it's life and part of growing up. more than 30 years ago i was bringing junior high kids up the incline on the half dome in yosemite. they cried, grimaced with exhaustion, resisted continuing, got scratches, bumps, and bruises, but decades later, they would thank me for instilling in them nerves of steel and refusing to flinch in the face of adversity. they made it to the top when they were 12-year olds. a decade later, we would do the same route and have a reunion party on the same summit. go for it, whenever the opportunity presents itself, be it in sabah, yosemite, the alps, or the himalayas. die die must try.

image.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

climbing the cliff face will require years of rock-climbing training and strict physical preparation. for kids, must be 12 and older, an alternative to reach the summit of half dome can be found on the convex side of the giant rock. there's a gradual climb from valley floor via the misty trail to vernal falls, nevada falls, cascading falls, and up to the plateau where camping overnight can be done. from the plateau to the rock face it's a steep climb, and it gets steeper towards the convex of the dome, and then it's near vertical to the summit. in summer, the rungs of hand cables leading to the summit are thronged with newbies, and it's not unusual to see a traffic jam of bodies stuck on the cables trying to pull themselves up. the power of climbing is in the legs, not hands, and the sooner these newbies understand it, the better the traffic flow.

image.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

reward on the way up......view of vernal and nevada falls from the slope.

image.jpg

image.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

getting to the summit and the "ledge" of the cliff face, 4000-ft up from the valley floor and 10000-ft from sea level.

image.jpg

jump-off point for paragliders or daredevil parachutists. one of the best paragliders died here recently off half dome. this pic below is not on the half dome summit. it's another ledge on another cliff face (experienced climbers at yosemite will know). :wink:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I thought we're always the first to send in our SAF and SCDF in a big and very loud way to the rescue of our neighbors? Now come to our own people mouth-stuck-with-prick???