• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

O-Level grades will no longer form part of admission scores for Poly grads applying to NUS, NTU from 2020

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am from the old school who still believes a good education is required to be successful in life. It has opened many doors for me.

Unfortunately one cannot get a good education in Spore. By good I mean a well balanced education without the PAP propaganda that is so common. Our school are too focused into memorising facts & figures. We have to move away from just getting paper qualifications. Learning is not just about certs there is more to it. Especially in a fast changing world.

We need to improve in the areas of critical thinking. Do we need some PAP scholar telling us what we should be doing? I doubt that this will change because the PAP is not interested in having a population that is going to ask too many questions:wink:

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am from the old school who still believes a good education is required to be successful in life. It has opened many doors for me.

Unfortunately one cannot get a good education in Spore. By good I mean a well balanced education without the PAP propaganda that is so common. Our school are too focused into memorising facts & figures. We have to move away from just getting paper qualifications. Learning is not just about certs there is more to it. Especially in a fast changing world.

We need to improve in the areas of critical thinking. Do we need some PAP scholar telling us what we should be doing? I doubt that this will change because the PAP is not interested in having a population that is going to ask too many questions:wink:

Agree. The three most important skills which today's education MUST inculcate in students are INDEPENDENT LEARNING, CRITICAL THINKING and CREATIVE THINKING skills. These were established more than 2.5 DECADES ago. It's really sad that the many Ministers for Education and the Ministry of Education have been paying lip-service and moving very sluggishLEE. In addition, the so-called elective programmes have been poorLEE formulated and implemented.
Intention vs Actuality. It's only over the last few years that the education ministry is less NATO. Sad but true.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree. The three most important skills which today's education MUST inculcate in students are INDEPENDENT LEARNING, CRITICAL THINKING and CREATIVE THINKING skills. These were established more than 2.5 DECADES ago. It's really sad that the many Ministers for Education and the Ministry of Education have been paying lip-service and moving very sluggishLEE. In addition, the so-called elective programmes have been poorLEE formulated and implemented.
Intention vs Actuality. It's only over the last few years that the education ministry is less NATO. Sad but true.

Education should also give one an opportunity to meet others from different backgrounds. Nowadays there are so many international schools in Spore but segregation exists to prevent locals from attending these schools. You also have our branded schools opening independent schools.

In the past it wasn't so bad. I had foreign classmates my class. Nowadays these people would probably attend the international or independent schools that now exist.

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Education should also give one an opportunity to meet others from different backgrounds. Nowadays there are so many international schools in Spore but segregation exists to prevent locals from attending these schools. You also have our branded schools opening independent schools.
In the past it wasn't so bad. I had foreign classmates my class. Nowadays these people would probably attend the international or independent schools that now exist.

International schools are for international students. They are not for local students. Agree but ...guess who 'disregarded and contravened' this policy?
Independent schools were created so that the elites can have better facilities and resources than everyone else. It's a purposeFoolLEE crafted elitist poLEEcy. Independent schools received more fundings than any other schools in the country. Why is there this need or discrimination?
Is Singapore a 'ONE country, TWO systems' manipulated to cater more for the $$$elf-$$$erving eLEEtes?
Can these eLEEtes be trusted when they say 'We CARE for Singaporeans. We will SERVE Singapore citizens sincerely.'?????

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
So "O" level English got "A" cannot show off liaoz ah ? Nabeh :laugh:
Hey it’s the other way round ok you ccb Malaysian sons of whores insulting my English poor then I said my English A1. Ccb Malaysians are always twisting from black to white and white to black.

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
the narratives are often beautifully painted by the scholars, through tinted lenses of course :tongue::tongue::tongue:

We can understand when civil servants do it because of directives from higher up. These educated SERVANTS have no choice.
However, educated leaders doing it for selfish reasons instead of doing it for the sake of the people CANNOT be tolerated or condoned. These scholarLEE LEEders are evil with a capital D, They are Devils.

a_korusawa

Alfrescian
Loyal
totally agree, today's sinkie education system has gone f#$k*&^g all because the lack of commitment from our gahmen to jaga MOE.
the previous 10-15 years education minister's balls out to be hang!
instead streamlining education towards respective academic needs, but letting MOE morphed into its elitism practices within educators, and driving 'Hitler-like' principals to rule their neighborhood schools as if their company, beautifying schools' with colorful reputations and KPIs, ignoring real teachers and promoting 'saka' teachers to become departmental heads, hiring admin staffs to admin themselves instead of the actual teachers, good-for-nothing councilors only to be fed shamelessly and so on!

its
those days are all about school's reputation

a_korusawa

Alfrescian
Loyal
all about school's reputation . . . .

bloody MOE came out with nonsensical PSLE questions towards a point even the world's best educator would ask what's the purpose!!!
bloody MOE even advocated schools & teachers only to focus on elitism, i.e. GEP and all text books have become more expensive but got thinner with same or more topics, more colored cartoons but less words!
worst, teachers only teaches 1,2,3 but expect the kids to research in 4,5,6 then to be tested/examined on 8,9,10.
of cos, only the those whose parents paid thousands to tuition on arrive on 8,9,10......... this is how MOE has been developed into these days!

and bloody education ministry only realized this nonsensical cronies in MOE after so many casualties and victims, bigger ITEs built and heavy turnover of teachers!
this is how our gahmen toying with our kids!

and NOW they claimed the O levels not to be seen ????

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
totally agree, today's sinkie education system has gone f#$k*&^g all because the lack of commitment from our gahmen to jaga MOE.
the previous 10-15 years education minister's balls out to be hang!
instead streamlining education towards respective academic needs, but letting MOE morphed into its elitism practices within educators, and driving 'Hitler-like' principals to rule their neighborhood schools as if their company, beautifying schools' with colorful reputations and KPIs, ignoring real teachers and promoting 'saka' teachers to become departmental heads, hiring admin staffs to admin themselves instead of the actual teachers, good-for-nothing councilors only to be fed shamelessly and so on!
its
those days are all about school's reputation
all about school's reputation . . . .
bloody MOE came out with nonsensical PSLE questions towards a point even the world's best educator would ask what's the purpose!!!
bloody MOE even advocated schools & teachers only to focus on elitism, i.e. GEP and all text books have become more expensive but got thinner with same or more topics, more colored cartoons but less words!
worst, teachers only teaches 1,2,3 but expect the kids to research in 4,5,6 then to be tested/examined on 8,9,10.
of cos, only the those whose parents paid thousands to tuition on arrive on 8,9,10......... this is how MOE has been developed into these days!
and bloody education ministry only realized this nonsensical cronies in MOE after so many casualties and victims, bigger ITEs built and heavy turnover of teachers!
this is how our gahmen toying with our kids!
and NOW they claimed the O levels not to be seen ????

Spot on. I am sure many parents and educators think likewise.
Singapore really needs more competent and committed leaders...genuine leaders who truly care and want to serve.
There is a need for a jolting push to start the momentum going, for everyone to act in the interest of the people and country.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Kurosawa, Kurosawa, men have named you...
You're the Rashomon with many twists...