• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTUC supermarkets

bella

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have often wondered where does the profits from the NTUC supermarkets go to.
the members ?
dont think so - i am an NTUC member and i have been paying and never receiving

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
the members ?

union bosses are usually gangster in disguise... extortion is part of the game....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the members ?

Union member? or the "U" card? Years back, they sold shares, I bought some, forgotten how much & some years later, they bought it back from us!.

You ask a very good question, NTUC licence for operating a supermarket is that a commercial entity or a co-operative?, where does the profit goes to each year; assuming that they make money, to MOF? ( Ministry of Finance?)

Last edited:

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
the members ?

knowing that sinkie cannot take care of their money ,they are saving for you.
when you need it they will give it to you in a lump sum.

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
the members ?

NTUC member has 20 NTUC shares & receives dividends annually. You should receive a statement. The amount is $20 +.

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
NTUC has been opening NTUC supermarkets. This benefits the consumers but the NTUC hypermarts are killing off the small shop owners.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NTUC has been opening NTUC supermarkets. This benefits the consumers but the NTUC hypermarts are killing off the small shop owners.

Many my neighbourhood provision stores have all died, especially those at "central", even the void deck kiosk, traditionally "mama shop" have died & everyone replaced by 7-11 stores. All small traders have died, & many are dying a slow death.

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The supermarket war is now between NTUC, Cold Storage and Sheng Siong. The younger generation prefers to shop in air-conditioned environments. Who wants to squeeze in the wet market crowd?

It's a miracle that small provision shops and mama shops survived through the years. Provision shops in the old days, especially those in the Kampungs allow poorer residents to buy things on credit and rice could be sold in smaller portions.

Many my neighbourhood provision stores have all died, especially those at "central", even the void deck kiosk, traditionally "mama shop" have died & everyone replaced by 7-11 stores. All small traders have died, & many are dying a slow death.

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
One NTUC megamart sell everything that a household usually needs with air-con comfort, and allows NETS/Credit Card payment with Link points. This is the preferred choice. NTUC has the bulk purchase capability which lowers the prices of its goods that could transfer to savings for its consumers. Small shop owners do not have this capability.

How does opening of more NTUC supermarkets benefit consumers, compared to having many small shop owners?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One NTUC megamart sell everything that a household usually needs with air-con comfort, and allows NETS/Credit Card payment with Link points. This is the preferred choice. NTUC has the bulk purchase capability which lowers the prices of its goods that could transfer to savings for its consumers. Small shop owners do not have this capability.
The ideal world is to have the big one with lower prices for general products but allow the small shop owners provide specialty products and have specialized knowledge on them. Do not expect talent to know about it. But the rents are killing the real anchor tenants of the real business and vibrancy of the real economy - small shop owners. You want to eat NTUC cooked hawker food? I prefer the ones from Gurney Drive, albeit stinking attitude at times

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
No offense bro, but you pass PSLE already or not:confused:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The supermarket war is now between NTUC, Cold Storage and Sheng Siong. The younger generation prefers to shop in air-conditioned environments. Who wants to squeeze in the wet market crowd?

It's a miracle that small provision shops and mama shops survived through the years. Provision shops in the old days, especially those in the Kampungs allow poorer residents to buy things on credit and rice could be sold in smaller portions.

Yup!, my provision store of the past, have home delivery service, once a week I phone in with the grocery list & the boss will come by the begining of the month to collect the money; this was when I was young. I learnt home economics back then, accounts, stock taking, good return etc... & benefits of dealing with the supplier, like extra something end of the month & Lunar New Year, I get to choose the two crates of free soft drinks, the type of soft drinks I like to drink. ha ha ha

Back then, one run out of anything say, soya sauce, just grab a clean empty bottle & run to the provision shop for a fill, that does for anything else, rice, sugar, salt & kerosene.:p

Nowadays, one is forced to buy in bulk, which does not justify economy of scale, for example, you need just two or three chilli to cook, you go NTUC supermarket etc., you have to buy the entire packet for $1.20 & most likely, you throw away the rest, after a while, for you won't be using them.

What I am saying is, we miss the small traders, who got muslced out of the marketplace.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
on the issue of NTUC or hypermarts vs neighbourhood stores, the latter do still have their reason for existence.

they are closer to the heartlanders - I find the one near my place really useful...i can pop down to grab a condom or two, a beer when i feel like it, bread / eggs, ciggys...things that i forgot to pick up from NTUC ...

of cse the price is ten twenty cents higher - but for the convenience, i am prepared to take it.

the idea is to stock the correct stuff - i.e. non perishables and those that are needed. Alternatively, stock those bulky items that heartlanders won't lug from NTUC - eg: detergents / washing powder.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
on the issue of NTUC or hypermarts vs neighbourhood stores, the latter do still have their reason for existence.

they are closer to the heartlanders - I find the one near my place really useful...i can pop down to grab a condom or two, a beer when i feel like it, bread / eggs, ciggys...things that i forgot to pick up from NTUC ...

of cse the price is ten twenty cents higher - but for the convenience, i am prepared to take it.

the idea is to stock the correct stuff - i.e. non perishables and those that are needed. Alternatively, stock those bulky items that heartlanders won't lug from NTUC - eg: detergents / washing powder.

How much grocery does 7-11 and Cheers sell:confused::confused:

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstood by using the American term grocery store, which should be provision shop here. I think the more accurate term should be convenience store as described by Red Amoeba. Not somewhere shop around and queue up to haul a whole trolleyful but just somewhere to buy a few items.