• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTUC Link Card and Passion Card

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not only australia , things are cheaper in US Ass too
yet their workers are paid more and their standard of living is higher.

This is even more ridiculous when you realized those toiletries like Colgate are mostly produced in neighboring countries like Thailand or Vietnam. Shipping to here would be much cheaper than Australia and USA.
Now you know how much this CUNT cooperative has been profiting

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am getting a little passionate about this topic as shopping is part of my female soul.

I am challenging you, yes YOU, those who are here to defend the profit maximation methods of businesses in Singapore with the government turning a blind eye or perhaps with an eye opened and the other shut.

Lets talk about Daiso.

Daiso imports most (I reckon) of its products from China. You must be dreaming to think that all of Daiso's products are manufactured in Japan. Daiso sells these products at 100yen (roughly $1.10) in Japan.

They have high labour costs and land costs in Tokyo.

The same goods are imported into Singapore direct from China (and not from China to Tokyo then Singapore). It retails at $2.

What is the reason behind this almost 100% "surcharge"?

Singapore has higher land costs and labour costs? Surely not.

Fictitious basket of goods concept? Huh?

Some crappy "we import all" reason? Huh?

Higer corporate tax in Singapore than Japan? Huh??? Cant be as well.

Would someone explain to me?

I am sure Daiso management looking at its operating margin must be laughing at people in Singapore who flock in swarms to their ever expanding network of stores in this island.

Claire. I'm beginning to fall in love with you for starting this thread.
Hopefully this humble thread will serve to open the eyes of the gong cheebyes

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Singapore, there is market collusion amongst the major players rather than market competition. This is due to our small economy and the fact that the major players tend to be owned by GIC and Temasek or at the very least, majority-owned by people strongly affiliated with the establishment.

All the propaganda about the inevitability of Singapore being a high cost place due to the fact that we import everything we need is hogwash. The Singapore dollar is strong and has been for the past decade. That should have moderated import prices but it failed. Why? Because our government has pursued highly inflationary policies, not least of which is to let property prices spiral out of control, which in turn leads to escalating rentals. When businesses are faced with high rentals, they pass on the cost to consumers.

It is amazing to see some government apologists continue to spread hogwash without regard to basic economic principles. Or to be more precise, they misuse basic economic principles without considering the context of Singapore.

NTUC is another piece of hogwash. They push products at uncompetitive prices because consumers are too used to the brand NTUC. Only those sharp enough to look around will realize they can get many things at a lower price outside NTUC. That is how the government takes money from the people.

Market collussion is only possible because our government who is supposed to be neutral to business is in charge of our major industries,we are a communist state run economy fascist dictatorship.our panties have been twisty and turnies into a unregcognisable bunch.our unions and our government and employers are engaged in a menage a tois fornicating fuckfest.singapore is at the epitome of ownself check ownself economic prosperity.

Last edited:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is even more ridiculous when you realized those toiletries like Colgate are mostly produced in neighboring countries like Thailand or Vietnam. Shipping to here would be much cheaper than Australia and USA.
Now you know how much this CUNT cooperative has been profiting

Mr Wongwan, you are absolutely correct. The margins that these manufacturers and retailers (like NTUC, Giant, Cold Storage, Sheng Siong) is obscenely disproportionate to what they earn elsewhere and we have no independent consumer watchdog to scrutinise what is happening behind the scenes.

As I said, Case is just a Disgrace. If they can take yonks before taking action on SL Jover, we all know what these Yes Men in that silly organisation will do when it comes to NTUC profiteering together with other major retailers in Singapore.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Claire. I'm beginning to fall in love with you for starting this thread.
Hopefully this humble thread will serve to open the eyes of the gong cheebyes

Mr Wongwan, please don't. You are not my type. Your mouth is far too mucky for my liking. No offense :smile:

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
More than 2,000 FairPrice housebrand products are priced on average 10% lower than comparable popular brands. This is why I choose to use NTUC FairPrice's olive oil.

A basket of over 1,000 Everyday Low Price (EDLP) popular grocery items are price-checked regularly to give customers the best value. This is the basket of goods that someone was talking about.

FairPrice keeps daily necessities, affordable. One will not die from not using a Rexona deodorant stick or a kotex fresh liner.

Claire: Your explanation please?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
More than 2,000 FairPrice housebrand products are priced on average 10% lower than comparable popular brands. This is why I choose to use NTUC FairPrice's olive oil.

A basket of over 1,000 Everyday Low Price (EDLP) popular grocery items are price-checked regularly to give customers the best value. This is the basket of goods that someone was talking about.

FairPrice keeps daily necessities, affordable. One will not die from not using a Rexona deodorant stick or a kotex fresh liner.

Your cut and paste skills are excellent. Any independent auditor to check their basket or is it a case of own-self checking again?

Panty liner and sanitary pads are not daily necessities? I hope your wife and girlfriend doesn't put them on.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your cut and paste skills are excellent. Any independent auditor to check their basket or is it a case of own-self checking again?

Panty liner and sanitary pads are not daily necessities? I hope your wife and girlfriend doesn't put them on.

Why why, you sound like an unhappy Singaporean...chill man.

Are you assuming I am a male? "One will not die from not using a Rexona deodorant stick or a kotex fresh liner." - note that I did not state sanitary pads.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why why, you sound like an unhappy Singaporean...chill man.

Are you assuming I am a male? "One will not die from not using a Rexona deodorant stick or a kotex fresh liner." - note that I did not state sanitary pads.

I am fully chilled. Regardless whether you are a man or woman, that is immaterial. You have not given a satisfactory explanation on my challenges above in this thread. Please go do some homework rather spewing gibberish and just cut and paste, taking all so-called official information as some Quran or Bible verses.

Forget sanitary pads for the moment - I will in future start on thread on it - why is there GST on such a basic component of female hygiene. It reeks of gender discrimination.

Panty liner is all about hygiene. Not an essential?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've shopped in Tokyo, London, Paris, Toronto, Australia and the US for groceries and household items. We are more expensive. Period.

NTUC is not a co-operative. It is a Temasek-linked cartel and its practices are highly anti-competitive. If it had operated in America a multi-billion class action anti-trust lawsuit would have been filed right away.

TFBH is right: S'pore being a high-priced place has nothing to do with our having to import essential items. Walmart and Tesco import everything from China, and their prices are at least 40%–70% than comparable items here.

Three factors are at play here:

1. Land pricing. The government is the biggest land owner here. By tendering land parcels at high minimum bid prices, pegging HDB prices to private property, maintaining high commercial rents via JTC and HDB ... the govt has effectively set up a rentier state which sucks money from the people back to the state, its various state-owned corporations and their shareholders, i.e. the cronies and elite . High land prices → high rentals → high business cost and retail prices.

2. Market collusion. The economy – unlike the other 3 dragon economies – is dominated by MNCs and GLCs. So there's market collusion on a grand scale which squeezes out the small proprietor and SMEs. Chain stores dominate, many of which are GIC or Temasek-owned. Result: effective cartels formed with price inflexibility.

3. Unbridled immigration of super-wealthy folks → inflation. You don't need a PhD in economics to understand how this impacts property prices and secondarily retail prices.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

fairprice housebrands are complete crap,they are not even worth it 50 percent off their competitor's brand,first off singapore's food manufacturing industry is not even that great,i think in terms of quality,technology,innovation and marketing value,singapore food manufacturing is like lagging behind china by twenty,thirty years.iv never any worthy manufactured by singaporeans other than kong guan biscuits and fish balls and those are like from ur grandmothe era.

compared to carrefour and cold storage and cole's and woolsworth,they take immense pride in their housebrands and have a reputation to consider with the ang mohs and cater to their exquisite tastebuds.cole's has like the best paninis ever and u should see their deli sections and bakery.on the other hand,NTUC seems to target the poorest most ghetto households in the world.they use the poorest and lowest quality raw materials available and the most basic and crudest manufacturers,ntuc ham doesnt taste like ham,their sausages taste like toxic sludge,the packaging and the selection of goods is so cheap and tacky when u look at it,immediately u think of this is what pinoys in the ghettos would eat for lunch,cans of spam and luncheon meat,glutinous jellatine meat in abodo or tilapia fish caught from the sewers and balls of greasy unrecognisable meat.yes this is what pinoys cook for their children and family.pinoys would look at NTUC housebrands and immediately feel at home cause their hotdogs reminds them of jolliebee hotdogs and NTUC donuts taste like pinoy store brand donuts with dollops of Nutella smothered all over it.

Last edited:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Altogether now! Huat ah!
Claire, member mah?

I am not member of such conman cards. As a shrewd woman, I always look for the best deals overseas or in parallel import shops, though have to be discerning about what buy in these discounters. The home and personal care products are ok as they are not consumables.

For consumables, it's either Giant or wet market stores. NTUC is the last place I go as I do not want to support an organisation which does not do what they are supposed to do.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've shopped in Tokyo, London, Paris, Toronto, Australia and the US for groceries and household items. We are more expensive. Period.

NTUC is not a co-operative. It is a Temasek-linked cartel and its practices are highly anti-competitive. If it had operated in America a multi-billion class action anti-trust lawsuit would have been filed right away.

TFBH is right: S'pore being a high-priced place has nothing to do with our having to import essential items. Walmart and Tesco import everything from China, and their prices are at least 40%–70% than comparable items here.

Three factors are at play here:

1. Land pricing. The government is the biggest land owner here. By tendering land parcels at high minimum bid prices, pegging HDB prices to private property, maintaining high commercial rents via JTC and HDB ... the govt has effectively set up a rentier state which sucks money from the people back to the state, its various state-owned corporations and their shareholders, i.e. the cronies and elite . High land prices → high rentals → high business cost and retail prices.

2. Market collusion. The economy – unlike the other 3 dragon economies – is dominated by MNCs and GLCs. So there's market collusion on a grand scale which squeezes out the small proprietor and SMEs. Chain stores dominate, many of which are GIC or Temasek-owned. Result: effective cartels formed with price inflexibility.

3. Unbridled immigration of super-wealthy folks → inflation. You don't need a PhD in economics to understand how this impacts property prices and secondarily retail prices.

Yellow, an excellent exposition of the present circumstances we live in at the moment in this island. Thank you.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For instance, a Rexona deodorant stick costs $3.40 in NTUC. Beauty Language, a home and personal care shop, sells the same product for $1.90.

Ha! .. of all products you notice Rexona deodorant

Did he ask you to use it or you decided to buy for him? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
i only found ONE thing cheap and good at ntuc:

the fragrant thai rice.

all other items cost more than its competitors.

and there are people paying money for membership so they can buy stuff at its warehouse in the far far west.

ntuc has become a price taker.
even its car insurance suck tits compared to newcomers.

too much overhead. all those miw need to park somewhere with high salary.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha! .. of all products you notice Rexona deodorant

Did he ask you to use it or you decided to buy for him? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Good morning Long. I am replying you from a not so crowded MRT today. Looks like lots of people are on leave. I wish the MRT can be like this everyday.

Nope Long. The deodorant is for me.

I always put on deodorant. It has been a habit since teenage years.

I don't use perfume at work as it can be distracting for others. I only use perfume for dinners, clubbing and social gatherings.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Morning Coco.

I agree. Overheads in NTUC and SMRT is probably high, I reckon, as these pseudo business organisations are being used for training and breeding ground for politicians.

I do not think it is the same in SBS Transit, though I could be wrong.