• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTUC is an unusual Union?

Isogallardo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chan Chun Sing said the unions in Singapore is unsual unlike their counterparts in the rest of the world! Do you agree?

When I first joined the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) a year ago, I never fully appreciated how “unusual” this organisation was. It was only when I first participated in the annual International Labour Organisation (ILO) meeting in Geneva that I began to appreciate just how “unusual” we were.

Why “unusual”, and how so?

In most parts of the world, unions are seen as an anachronism of the past. Unionisation rates amongst workers in these countries have progressively declined as workers simply cannot find any reason to join them. This has resulted in many unions across the world, locked in an internecine fight over a shrinking pie with either their respective governments or companies, if not both. We, on the other hand, have been fortunate that our unionisation rate has continued to grow. This has been possible because of Singapore’s unique model of tripartism – where unions work together with the government and employers towards better outcomes for our workers.

In fact, in our many interactions with foreign MNCs, many were taken aback by our approach to working together; dealing with challenges; and perhaps most shockingly, to caring for our workers, including Professionals Managers and Executives.

Let me elaborate.

Firstly, they were surprised that we defined our mission as taking care of ALL working people, and not just the blue-collared rank and file workers. They were surprised that we saw it in our mission to help all workers, from rank and file to PMEs and even non-unionised workers in SMEs, to upgrade and stay competitive.

Source: http://goo.gl/bu6zKO

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
plenty of people officially employed by the NTUC linked businesses but doing grassroots and PAP related work.....

That is surely an incentive to lean towards the establishment. a businessman friend of mine once told me that it is okay if you don't lean on these people. Stay neutral. Once you are seen as the 'other side,' the bureaucracy will be watching you.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Chan Chun Sing said the unions in Singapore is unsual unlike their counterparts in the rest of the world! Do you agree?

Source: http://goo.gl/bu6zKO

Kee Chiu is right for once. Other unions in the world really look after their membership and protect their jobs. While NTUC will collaborate with the PAP to bring in more FTs to still their member's jobs. They are more interested in profitable businesses. In other words, they are a Pte Ltd company masquerading as a union. I would call that highly unusual.