• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSP to adopt “minister-specific” strategy in next elections

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS

Honestly stop being an idiot, and stop letting SPH feed your over inflated ego machine. It was a good idea period. However the SPH question was a loaded question i.e can GMS replace MBT as Minister of national Development. A damm if you do and damm if you don't scenario.

Coalition Governments weak government is what the PAP will use to start scaring voters into VOTING for the PAP. and please do not fall into the trap of counter arguing with the PAP that there's nothing wrong with a coalition government, etc etc etc ,

You shouldn't even be speculating about a "coalition government" having political fantasies which give you a political woody and speculating about that on line and in public is even more idiotic.

The voters could stomach GMS mad cow as an opposition MP but I personally would draw the line at MND and I know u.

Suggested response, MBT wil not be missed since the PAP is so full of overpaid talent,
If it really came down to it they can call a by election in an SMC and the opposition will not contest it.

Locke

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear GMS

Honestly stop being an idiot, and stop letting SPH feed your over inflated ego machine. It was a good idea period. However the SPH question was a loaded question i.e can GMS replace MBT as Minister of national Development. A damm if you do and damm if you don't scenario.

You should stop being an idiotic PAP apologist. Anybody who can pass GCE O Level can be national development or any other department minister. A minister makes policy decision, that's why no minimum education level is required. The civil servants when all the degrees then carry out the decision.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. More seats, check and balances etc but and forming a govt is not in the immediate scheme of things.

With more seats, the desire to dismantle the obstacles to a democratic elections in order to attract talented and qualified people to form a dececent 2 party system at a minimum.

Also to eventually pass a law retrospectively to pass the death sentence on SPH journalists unless they agree to prostitute themselves in Geylang which should not be too hard.

You shouldn't even be speculating about a "coalition government" having political fantasies which give you a political woody and speculating about that on line and in public is even more idiotic.

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Locke,

There is a cost for evasion such question and there is definitely a cost for answering that question. Not a question of ego or not.

My answer would be straight forward, I will not consider such possibility unless PAP is ready to go for a coalition government. If that is the case, then we will decide. Most likely PAP is not going for a coalition government when they have more than 50%, thus as the ruling party it is their responsibility to field the cabinet minister post. If they want to look for better people and go for by-election, as a political party, I will still think that we should contest the by-elections because it is our job to contest and let voters decide whether the slate of PAP ministers and MPs have the mandate to be in parliament, especially so for the new candidate that is to become the new minister. I will not promise not to contest that by-elections.

But having said that, a coalition government is a real option in the next decade or so and we should not avoid taking consideration of such option. A party that does not have the aim to become leaders of the nation is not worthy at all. It means that the mindset of the party will always be stuck as "opposition".

The PAP's strategy has always been "We cannot afford to lose a minister blah blah blah" and the assumption that opposition cannot be as good as the ministers. Well, there is no basis of comparison because we are not tested on the same job on par. Besides at this stage we are not able to form the government because of the lack in size. But to state or avoid answering the questions about whether we are confident to be ministers, there are implications on both sides. We want to look humble but definitely not wimpy.

Anyway, I shall leave it as it is.

Goh Meng Seng

Dear GMS

Coalition Governments weak government is what the PAP will use to start scaring voters into VOTING for the PAP. and please do not fall into the trap of counter arguing with the PAP that there's nothing wrong with a coalition government, etc etc etc ,

The voters could stomach GMS mad cow as an opposition MP but I personally would draw the line at MND and I know u.

Suggested response, MBT wil not be missed since the PAP is so full of overpaid talent,
If it really came down to it they can call a by election in an SMC and the opposition will not contest it.

Locke

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Ramseth

Getting rid of the PAP, one mountain after another, a bloody mountain range each one more difficult than the next.

Why even talk about coalition government, being as capable to replace PAP talent when you are not even over the first mountain ?

What I believe personally is not the point. What matters is what will get the opposition over that FIRST MOUNTAIN and in my view stating or saying that GMS is as capable as MBT will add to the difficulty of voters voting opposition in that first MOUNTAIN. He might prove or not prove himself later in subsequent mountains but heck lets worry abt the first one alone can or not ?

In fact on paper, I would probably recommend or state that James Gomez or KJ have what it takes to state that they can replace a Minister if one really wants to go down that insane route of argument.

Locke

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Try telling that to GMS who believes that one should talk abt forming the government even a coalition government when that is a topic there should be swept under the carpet.

Locke

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
opmdk9-1.jpg

BRING THE PAPEE TRAITORS TO JUSTICE!

We shd hang all famiLEE members by their neck until they are dead!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Locke, you're not getting rid of PAP. You're trying to get rid of NSP.

Dear Ramseth

Getting rid of the PAP, one mountain after another, a bloody mountain range each one more difficult than the next.

Why even talk about coalition government, being as capable to replace PAP talent when you are not even over the first mountain ?

What I believe personally is not the point. What matters is what will get the opposition over that FIRST MOUNTAIN and in my view stating or saying that GMS is as capable as MBT will add to the difficulty of voters voting opposition in that first MOUNTAIN. He might prove or not prove himself later in subsequent mountains but heck lets worry abt the first one alone can or not ?

In fact on paper, I would probably recommend or state that James Gomez or KJ have what it takes to state that they can replace a Minister if one really wants to go down that insane route of argument.

Locke

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Locke, you're not getting rid of PAP. You're trying to get rid of NSP.

Her is just been logically passionate.

Even I have to agree that GMS might be giving PAP too much amno to use if he had voiced out too much too soon.

I would suggest a wait and see attitude and not let SPH use any info to make NSP and the rest of the opposition look stupid and arrogant.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shouldn't strategies kept in the dark and use it when the time comes?
Hmmmm.........or with alternative.....

:biggrin: :o :biggrin:

CumSpitCobra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, you have mistaken me. I am simply stating a plain fact to her. However, I do qualify myself that if PAP is seriously considering to form a coalition government even when they do not have to (which I think it is highly unlikely at this moment), I will give it a serious consideration provided that my party leadership would agree to such coalition.

I am confident that I could do a better job than Mah BT but there will be a social stigma for opposition supporters to accept the present opposition to go into a coalition with PAP. I would be part of the coalition with one condition, the salary of all ministers in the coalition will have to be cut by more than 50%. I would settle for $150K per year as I feel that ministers should only get a slightly more than average income. 5 times of the average $30K that the middle class is earning should be more than enough for a minister.

Whatever it is, any decisions made will be based on the overall interests of the people. To decline a coalition with PAP straight away may sound "politically correct" but the time will come one day whereby no one party gets more than 50% of the seats and inevitably a coalition government must be formed. For a small party like NSP, it will be quite challenging in deciding whether we should be in a coalition with PAP or WP then.

Goh Meng Seng

It is interesting to hear that Mr. Goh, care to tell me how many GRCs are targetted by NSP this time?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Well, some strategy even reviewed, your opponents could do very little about it. There is of course some strategy that needs to be kept secret until the last minute. :wink:

What I am saying is that I still have something up my sleeves...don't worry. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not necessarily. The manner this was done by NSP is a case in point. NSP is a small party, has never got a seat or had a political identity before. It however has 2 that have a better profile than before - Cheo and GMS.

It therefore has to capture attention somehow. If they released their strategy just before GE, it will drowned out by PAP,WP and in the case of SDP by its unusual approach to politics.

They also have to very focused as well as early by capturing anything that is very close to voters and they seemed to have done that in a very clinical manner - policy,rising HDB prices, the ministry that is faltering etc. This is now a hot potato.

Others now have to choose something else. And frankly there is nothing that comes close to rising HDB prices. I guess that have Gazumped the rest.

Note the choice of words, phrases etc such as nothing personal.

The PAP will now be constrained at 2 fronts as in 1991 where SDP and WP gave them a massive headache. Hopefully NSP can form the 2nd front. If we can get SDP to focus on practical, local burning issues, it will be 3 fronts. Reform party needs to build a profile quick. At the moment, economics seems to be their pet issue. If they can translate that to HDB heartlander language, it not going anywhere.

DOM the Clown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for all the responses.

There are many dimensions to this strategy. It is not solely about how to win the elections but rather using the GE as a means to extract accountability from the various ministers for all the policies that they have made.

PAP has used GRC to fortify their position by utilizing the ministers as the heavy weight anchoring the whole team. Voters will always be "misled" by such strategy and resulting them to use the ministers to compare with the weakest link of the opposition team. Meaning, when voters are to justify why they will vote PAP, it is always because they buy the PAP's idea that they couldn't lose those Ministers. But when justifying why they will not vote for opposition, it is always because of the weakest candidates in the whole team, even if the weakest candidate in that opposition team may be stronger than PAP's weakest team member.

This is unfair comparison but just a fact of life in Singapore. That's how Singaporeans make their voting choice.

Thus in order to break such unfair comparison, the only way is to make voters think twice about the ministers in their wards, whether it is worth keeping the ministers when there are so many lousy policies coming out from them.

This is basically the rational of the whole strategy.

Goh Meng Seng

I buy your idea. I'll vote for you guys if you come to Jalan Besar GRC again. Good Luck!

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

You are pretty scary you know! :wink:

Whatever I have planned for the past one year to lay the ground very discreetly, you spotted all of it. Pretty scary.

Goh Meng Seng

Not necessarily. The manner this was done by NSP is a case in point. NSP is a small party, has never got a seat or had a political identity before. It however has 2 that have a better profile than before - Cheo and GMS.

It therefore has to capture attention somehow. If they released their strategy just before GE, it will drowned out by PAP,WP and in the case of SDP by its unusual approach to politics.

They also have to very focused as well as early by capturing anything that is very close to voters and they seemed to have done that in a very clinical manner - policy,rising HDB prices, the ministry that is faltering etc. This is now a hot potato.

Others now have to choose something else. And frankly there is nothing that comes close to rising HDB prices. I guess that have Gazumped the rest.

Note the choice of words, phrases etc such as nothing personal.

The PAP will now be constrained at 2 fronts as in 1991 where SDP and WP gave them a massive headache. Hopefully NSP can form the 2nd front. If we can get SDP to focus on practical, local burning issues, it will be 3 fronts. Reform party needs to build a profile quick. At the moment, economics seems to be their pet issue. If they can translate that to HDB heartlander language, it not going anywhere.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
So your strategy is to disappear and reappear during a GE?

HAha... kidding

Thank you for all the responses.

There are many dimensions to this strategy. It is not solely about how to win the elections but rather using the GE as a means to extract accountability from the various ministers for all the policies that they have made.

PAP has used GRC to fortify their position by utilizing the ministers as the heavy weight anchoring the whole team. Voters will always be "misled" by such strategy and resulting them to use the ministers to compare with the weakest link of the opposition team. Meaning, when voters are to justify why they will vote PAP, it is always because they buy the PAP's idea that they couldn't lose those Ministers. But when justifying why they will not vote for opposition, it is always because of the weakest candidates in the whole team, even if the weakest candidate in that opposition team may be stronger than PAP's weakest team member.

This is unfair comparison but just a fact of life in Singapore. That's how Singaporeans make their voting choice.

Thus in order to break such unfair comparison, the only way is to make voters think twice about the ministers in their wards, whether it is worth keeping the ministers when there are so many lousy policies coming out from them.

This is basically the rational of the whole strategy.

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's very clear that Meng Seng has cleared war on Mah Bow Tan. There's nothing wrong about that. Otherwise, we all agree with MBT and PAP and go to sleep.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I saw the TOC article, I immediately spotted a structure/strategy clearly forming. Decided to wait and have a good hard read. Thus my comments later. Kudos well done. NSP is now in the game. Clearly infusion of "new" talent has paid off.

I also noted Ken's loaded and lethal comments about the PM.

As long as you guys don't address the PAP, just the voters, in their language and about something that can immediately identified as important, you are on the inside track.

The trick is to keep it boiling at a constant temperature. 85% of Singapore live in HDB flats of which 95% own those flats - but they have siblings, children, relatives and friends who have come of age and need flats. They will empathise with them.

Not many people are aware that Chiam successfully got into parliament the first time on one single important issue - the market price of HDB flats. Chiam said that he did the sums on bricks, mortars and it did not come close.

Dear Scroobal,

You are pretty scary you know! :wink:

Whatever I have planned for the past one year to lay the ground very discreetly, you spotted all of it. Pretty scary.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mah is essentially a colourless chap. That combined with his ministry holding a hot potato, both barrels have been loaded. Old man, GCT, PM will be campaigning for him. Mah might make history by being the first PAP MP to lose his first campaign and his last campaign

It's very clear that Meng Seng has cleared war on Mah Bow Tan. There's nothing wrong about that. Otherwise, we all agree with MBT and PAP and go to sleep.