• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NOL puts up own building for sale

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: NOL sells building, layoff 400 staff

Blame the policies, not the men. Frankly, with the placement policies, GLCs don't bleed also very difficult:o

CEO is former CDF, CFO is former MOS and current MP...........................

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pasir Panjang side, even the dry shipping also move to the reclaimed land side i heard too

not sure what it is about but can see PSA is reclaiming the sea from, i dunno, labordor park to west coast park. if u travel on the pasir panjang viaduct toward pasir panjang vegie market on a commercial vehicle, ie, truck or bus, u will see the extend of the reclaimation. some part, the sea was 200m where it last was.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No kidding, they can build all they want but its Malaysia we're talking about. ETAs and berthing schedules always cocked up, Malaysia Boleh

Is Swire now the biggest offshore kid on the block?
Swire Shipping? im not sure. never have dealings with them or hear them much.

not sure what it is about but can see PSA is reclaiming the sea from, i dunno, labordor park to west coast park. if u travel on the pasir panjang viaduct toward pasir panjang vegie market on a commercial vehicle, ie, truck or bus, u will see the extend of the reclaimation. some part, the sea was 200m where it last was.
yes, it will be shifted to pasir panjang side but the recent news i heard govt trying to relocate to Jurong area.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yes, ex-civil servants, NOL would be the last shipping company i want to join, might as well go back to SAF if i want to join NOL, less stress and more bonuses

This only happened in the last 15 years or so. NOL original officers were all sailors and captains before. I believe that's how Lua Cheng Eng got his start as a ship capt. Than the PAP start parachuting their lackeys and pigs feeding at the public trough into NOL, and the problems start. These fuckers don't know how to shut up and not interfere and let the real professionals run NOL. Hence, u have a detriorating situation, U would think that Con You would know by now that patronage appointments do not work.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not sure if anyone can remember how Evergreen went over to Tanjong Pelepas. MCA MP called Jimmy something from Johor spoke to the chief in Hokkein. Kaki Nang.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pasir Panjang side, even the dry shipping also move to the reclaimed land side i heard too

Yes :o Ops moving to terminals in da west, last I heard.

Has anyone ever questioned the move:confused:
This is after all an important source of income for Spore.

For decades the port has built up around the original current site is. Wouldn't moving it would be expensive & unnecessary project? With the lack of talent in the PAP I predict someone is going to make another "honest mistake":p

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Not sure if anyone can remember how Evergreen went over to Tanjong Pelepas. MCA MP called Jimmy something from Johor spoke to the chief in Hokkein. Kaki Nang.

No matter how you cut it the bottomline truth is plain for all to see.

The fact is dispite such a legendary reputation for efficient container operations, and one of the largest container ports in the world, major shipping lines saw it fit to move their operations to Pelepas even though they have already spend money to establish their office and operations here. Something made them unhappy and they have been unhappy for some time now. The decision to move did not just happen on the spur of the moment.

PSA failed to identify and address these concerns. SOme of these concerns may be out of the reach to PSA to address. But nevertheless, they are real. Cost of the operating in Singapore was a major reason. But the cost did not come from the labour side. Contracting lorry companies is not significantly higher than the Malaysian side, nor is whatever they pay their staff. However, the sing dollar is very strong and their operations here must be paid in sing dollars while their revenues is in USD which is getting weaker. A double whammy for them. PSA cannot control this part.

But PSA can control their fees, port charges, etc. which they did not. In the end, credit to the Malaysian govt. for recognizing a great business oppportunity to create the new port at Pelapas. It may be decades before the malaysian govt. can recoup their investment in Pelepas, but that is not the real reason they build the port. Unlike the PAP, they are not that money minded yet. The Port was build so that investment can come into that part of Malaysia which had up to that point been mostly driven by real estate buyers from singapore and by agriculture. This creates a whole new economic pillar for them and creates jobs for their citizens and brings money into the country. More importantly, strategically for their own national security, they do not have to rely on a port in singapore for their good shipments.

Just my 2 cents.

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you drive thru Tanjung Pelepas 10 year ago, 5 year and now .
You will see it really grow. From few container hoist to now I think more than 40 crane/hoist.

This ish true, I ish the hoist.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal

For decades the port has built up around the original current site is. Wouldn't moving it would be expensive & unnecessary project? With the lack of talent in the PAP I predict someone is going to make another "honest mistake":p

wait till the mother of all projects come online in Thailand or malaysia come online man....

they have the Kra Isthmus which is very ripe and perfect for them to dig a suez canal type of longkang to allow all ships to pass through and collect erp at the same time... you see what will this koobye pap govt have its sleeve then....

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wait till the mother of all projects come online in Thailand or malaysia come online man....

they have the Kra Isthmus which is very ripe and perfect for them to dig a suez canal type of longkang to allow all ships to pass through and collect erp at the same time... you see what will this koobye pap govt have its sleeve then....

This project have been talk for 30 year. Until now nothing happen and unlikely due to the cost only cut the shipping route by 2~3 day and paying high toll.
Where in Suez canal is a big different. Please see the world MAP potato in Africa and potato in Malaysia.
If no Suez canal ship need to pass thru S. Africa and will take about 2~3week.
So is better to pay the toll to save 3 week journey . Is money and sense.

But there is one big problem. Thailand may built refinery and use pipe line to transfer the oil to from West to East.
Since need to unload the oil to refinery and load back to ship. Pipe line is cheap to built and take only small land.
Jurong Island may be doom but it will take 10 year. Built refinery take time and expansion also take time.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

They already plan for this lah. U don't see it mah? Why u think defence budget is $10 billion per year?. Imagine this. Strike package of F-15SG, F-16S, AWACS and KC-135.

Target for today: New Kra of Isthmus canal.
Objective: To destroy canal facilities and locks and to sink ships in the canal, hence blocking the canal and making it unusable
AWACS - To jam all Malaysian and Thai air defence systems, and provide C & C for strike package, as well as provide position for intercepting enemy fighters
F-16 - Fly top cover, and provide fighter interdiction, Use AARAMM to destroy enemy aircraft.
F-15 - Use PGM to bom the shit out the facilities and destroy shipping in the canal
KC-135 - Refuel strike package on the way back.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They already plan for this lah. U don't see it mah? Why u think defence budget is $10 billion per year?. Imagine this. Strike package of F-15SG, F-16S, AWACS and KC-135.

Target for today: New Kra of Isthmus canal.
Objective: To destroy canal facilities and locks and to sink ships in the canal, hence blocking the canal and making it unusable
AWACS - To jam all Malaysian and Thai air defence systems, and provide C & C for strike package, as well as provide position for intercepting enemy fighters
F-16 - Fly top cover, and provide fighter interdiction, Use AARAMM to destroy enemy aircraft.
F-15 - Use PGM to bom the shit out the facilities and destroy shipping in the canal
KC-135 - Refuel strike package on the way back.

You mind really a small child. War. Dont think about war is SG dare to bomb 1st is doom day for SG.
Is business and economy.

Canal is just a day dream for the next 2 decade will not even start to dig.
If each standard container ship about 200m length and toll is US$200k. The shipping line will just sail around Singapore.
Cost of the canal will be in US$100b or more to built. Is about 70km long. Imagine digging canal at least 500m wide and 15m depth from end of Tuas to Pulau Tekong.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the deciding factor is the toll, then the trick is about buliding it right such that you can collect the toll as long as possible. First 20 years maybe just breakeven, after that everything is cream.

I guess we are thankful that our neighbours up north are myopic and greedy clowns who only live for the short term gratification.....if a level headed government ran malaysia/thailand, they would have built it 10 years ago... half way to the money already....

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha......i see the usual empty vessel making noises here.......
those in the industry knew the main reason Evergreen went to TP was becos of yeo NH who was chairman PSA at that time.....
he was ex-ministar so he still behaved like a ministar when dealing with the shipping line bosses......
he was arrogant and rejected the request from Evergreen for dedicated terminal/berths deal for their ships at that time.....
Evergreen packed up and went over to TP and yeo was also sent packing from psa shortly...
after that psa leaked its wound and inked dedicated terminal deals with a number of major shipping lines (cosco, msc, pil; etc..)

for the canal across the isthmus, for those knowledgeable, it is again a no brainer where the economics is concerned......(of course the political situation also has a part)....the techology and abilities to do so is never in doubt

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard from kopi shop......

Keppel move up to Tuas in about 6 years time. PSA remain....then something 2030.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Not likely the case but there were rumours then that Patrick Ang was removed from FAS coz of Evergreen's move away from S'pore.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha......i see the usual empty vessel making noises here.......
those in the industry knew the main reason Evergreen went to TP was becos of yeo NH who was chairman PSA at that time.....for the canal across the isthmus, for those knowledgeable, it is again a no brainer where the economics is concerned......(of course the political situation also has a part)....the techology and abilities to do so is never in doubt

This Isthmus of Kra was discussed about 25 years ago by fappies top echelon. The Japs had the resources and are still very keen to undertake this massive project together with the Thais but the political situation does'nt augur well for the Thais to pull it through. Wise words then and it still applies "they won't alienate thë capitalist north from the communist south". Furthermore, the islamic m&ds just across the border will rub their hands in glee....Think about it!

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This Isthmus of Kra was discussed about 25 years ago by fappies top echelon. The Japs had the resources and are still very keen to undertake this massive project together with the Thais but the political situation does'nt augur well for the Thais to pull it through. Wise words then and it still applies "they won't alienate thë capitalist north from the communist south". Furthermore, the islamic m&ds just across the border will rub their hands in glee....Think about it!

The Japs also wanted to nuke the obstacles to clear the Isthmus :biggrin:

Anyway, i believe the Isthmus of Kra is possible within the next 30 years as oil and gas get scarcer and the pressure to create shorter and faster trading routes. Our 'special' geographical position that is always emphasized by PAP to no end will not save us, we are beginning to enter the end of our successful maritime industry. :(

Last edited: