• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No Words To Describe

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Openness was one of the many themes talked about by Dr Balakrishnan as he gave his address during the forum. He regaled the audience of about 320 with numerous anecdotes, preferring to distance himself from the podium and addressing the crowd without a script.

Politician, story-teller, and big brother – the minister juggled many hats while addressing the students.

Illustrating how faraway events can have a significant impact on the Singapore, he shared how he switched on the television at night and saw the World Trade Centre collapse after returning home from a fund-raising dinner.

That event was what got him into politics.

“That was the night I know for sure that I was going to go into politics. There are things to protect, things to fight for, and it’s not just enough to just talk about it,” he said.

In view of maintaining an open society, he also highlighted the opportunities and threats of globalisation, and how transparency is key to Singapore’s future success.

“Everything we do is under public scrutiny,” he said. “In Singapore there are no secrets, if I cock up you will know. At least within the PAP, we select on the basis of merit, and we are also totally unsentimental about dropping people. It’s almost a samurai code. We’re not a group of friends who got together one night and decided we want to run Singapore and enrich ourselves.”
article c&p from TOC

When I first saw him on TV in a debating competition, I knew, that the then young man was headed for bigger things. Eye surgeon and now this?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha... 'almost like a samurai code'? PAPIST don't apologize. They say, lets move on! What kind of weird shit samurai code is that???

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
When I first saw him on TV in a debating competition, I knew, that the then young man was headed for bigger things. Eye surgeon and now this?

Samurai Code?!?!?!:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:

do you know how many seppuku WKS has to perform?

how many boo-boos and he's still there enjoying his time? Mas Selamat found already ar?

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal

do you know how many seppuku WKS has to perform?

how many boo-boos and he's still there enjoying his time? Mas Selamat found already ar?

What's happening with these people? And we are accused of being bone pickers. As for samurai code, no such term. It's Bushido.

Bushidō (武士道, Bushidō?), meaning "Way of the Warrior", is a Japanese code of conduct and a way of the samurai life, loosely analogous to the concept of chivalry. It originates from the samurai moral code and stresses frugality, loyalty, martial arts mastery, and honor until death

The leaders of this country embrace and practice Bushido?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Illustrating how faraway events can have a significant impact on the Singapore, he shared how he switched on the television at night and saw the World Trade Centre collapse after returning home from a fund-raising dinner.

I mean if he really believed what really happen to WTC, methinks he's not really smart at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0Ms7mId34

“Everything we do is under public scrutiny,” he said. “In Singapore there are no secrets, if I cock up you will know. At least within the PAP, we select on the basis of merit, and we are also totally unsentimental about dropping people. It’s almost a samurai code. We’re not a group of friends who got together one night and decided we want to run Singapore and enrich ourselves.”

Samurai code? Eh? I thought he's a mix of Indian and Chinese?

Where did this Japanese thingie come in from?

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not understand. Though you have stated there are no words to describe, you have already done so with your thread heading.......