• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'No win, no fee' lawyer's bill: $1.6m

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
20121107_171323_hammer.jpg

The Straits Times
Friday, Nov 09, 2012
SINGAPORE - A lawyer who agreed to accept payment from an accident victim only if he won her court suit has pleaded guilty to professional misconduct before a disciplinary tribunal, in a rare case.

Mr R. Kurubalan, 55, made the deal with Madam Ho Shin Hwee in 2006, in which he would receive 30 per cent of the proceeds if she won less than A$300,000, and 40 per cent if she won more.

The case was investigated by a tribunal appointed by the Chief Justice, which decided that the misconduct was serious enough to be referred to the Court of Three Judges - the legal profession's highest disciplinary body.

This means Mr Kurubalan could be suspended, fined or struck off.

Lawyers in Singapore are not allowed to charge clients on a percentage basis depending on whether the case is successful.

In the past, the Law Society has made clear that this practice, called champerty, is forbidden.

But several other countries such as the United States have recognised this method of charging, also known as the contingency fee system. And the concept has been the subject of review and debate.

The tribunal, made up of Senior Counsel Giam Chin Toon and lawyer Joy Tan, released its findings on Tuesday, in what is believed to be the first such case in more than a decade.
Madam Ho retained Mr Kurubalan to pursue the claim for a car accident in Brisbane in 2003, which left her paralysed.

Mr Kurubalan liaised with lawyers in Queensland, and paid upfront for expenses that included a trip to Australia with Madam Ho and her mother.

The Australian lawyers brokered and settled the suit for Madam Ho for about A$3.25 million (S$4.15 million) in March last year.

In August last year, they transferred the sum to her bank account and Mr Kurubalan later became aware of the transfer.

Two months later, he billed $156,487 to the Queensland lawyers for professional fees and other expenses in relation to his work on Madam Ho's claim.

He also sought to claim the 40 per cent from Madam Ho, which came up to $1.6million. But she complained to the Law Society, triggering the probe.

Senior Counsel Chelva Rajah argued for Mr Kurubalan before the disciplinary tribunal, saying Mr Kurubalan had helped Madam Ho to succeed in her suit and get a better deal than expected.

Madam Ho admitted that she complained because she did not know she would be awarded such a large sum and the lawyer would be able to charge such high fees.

Had Mr Kurubalan lost, he would have got nothing, despite spending about $15,000.

He said in mitigation that he would not have chosen this fee arrangement if he could turn back the clock.

Lawyers Philip Fong and Kirsten Teo prosecuted the case for the Law Society before the tribunal.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Champerty should be encouraged. It makes the lawyers work hard. It's like a company giving the employees a share of the profit. It will cultivate loyalty.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mr R. Kurubalan, 55, made the deal with Madam Ho Shin Hwee in 2006,

But she complained to the Law Society, triggering the probe.

Dis Madam Ho damn boi swee...agree leow den eat her words...maybe its better she kena run over by another car again...n fight de case herself...:biggrin:

kiacaren

Alfrescian
Loyal
Madam Ho admitted that she complained because she did not know she would be awarded such a large sum and the lawyer would be able to charge such high fees.

Maybe she happier with only A$299,999. Absurd and Retard.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Champerty should be encouraged. It makes the lawyers work hard. It's like a company giving the employees a share of the profit. It will cultivate loyalty.

The law society probably wants to protect the welfare of the lawyers. Don't forget that the Law Society are all lawyers & they are therefore biased:wink:

It would also open a can of worms if lawyers are encouraged to go out & represent the poor "lesser mortals" against big businesses. Big business usually have links to elites. Can imagine all the funny business that would be uncovered:eek:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Employee work for the company as that they are being paid. You moron. They are NOT the customer of the company. They should have the same vested interest.

A client is a customer of the snake lawyers. They are supposed to pay less and get more in return. Don't you think that should be the case if you are a customer going to buy some service for yourself!

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Your signature should have a debugging code for your new OS. Something like this :

moi = me
dis = this
ish = is

No nid...moi bery sure u get use 2 it in no time...jus like switching frm Apple to Andriod phone lidat...:biggrin::p

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Champerty should not be allowed. It is as good as saying, "Look, this amount is for engaging my service, but if you want me to do my best and maximise the chance of winning your case, you need to pay me $x more". The lawyer owe his client fiduciary duty and must perform to his best ability and knowledge even if his fee is a paltry.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought this is a fair deal. She AGREED to the deal for goodness sake.
Law Society does not want this because it would encourage competition and make lawyers do some real work to earn money. Lawyers are too used to doing nothing and fleecing clients. When you have some brave lawyers occasionally the "brotherhood" is quick to silence them. Fuck the lawyers!

Last edited:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Agree.
She is the type that gives free fuck and later claim rape.

Or those who borrow from ah long...and when it's time to pay...they report mata...not tat I support ah long in anyway...but such ppl are equally fuck up...haizz

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Champerty is common here. This lawyer is just unlucky. Injured foreign workers will tell you there is one law form based near the Sub Courts that covers your living expenses, settles your medical bills and even loan you money to send home if you agree to their 'deal'. They will make an assessment of likely damages to be paid before striking a deal with injured foreign workers. This law firm has branches in HDB estates too.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Champerty should not be allowed. It is as good as saying, "Look, this amount is for engaging my service, but if you want me to do my best and maximise the chance of winning your case, you need to pay me $x more". The lawyer owe his client fiduciary duty and must perform to his best ability and knowledge even if his fee is a paltry.

Lawyers, like all professionals, work for a fee. Currently, lawyers get paid whether he wins or lose. Hence, it make his more trigger happy. If he has to finance the adventure, then he will not be that fast in commencing action. This will actually make him think and a better quality of work result. In the ideal case, the lawyer must perform to the best of his ability. However, in reality, this often lacking.