• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ngiam Tong Dow: Income Gap Threatens Social Stability

RandomMonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
A very interesting read. Ngiam Tong Dow is a respected ex-permanent secretary and head of civil service. In fact, he was once considered amongst the inner circle of establishment elites and more powerful and influential than many ministers. For him to come out and criticise the government is very interesting. I wonder if he will consider joining opposition politics like Tan Jee Say.

http://entrepid.sg/we-must-achieve-more-with-less-ngiam-tong-dow/

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He has been quite consistent in criticising PAP policies as far back as decade ago. He was very much groomed by his master Goh Keng Swee. He hardly mentioned LKY and I believe he has nothing good to say about PAP.

insignia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interestingly, Tan Jee Say is also fiercely loyal to Goh Keng Swee, but he loathes the current PAP leadership

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He has been quite consistent in criticising PAP policies as far back as decade ago. He was very much groomed by his master Goh Keng Swee. He hardly mentioned LKY and I believe he has nothing good to say about PAP.

Many years ago Mr Ngiam already wrote an article that someday we will find ourselves strangers in our own land.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A very well thought out article and his arguments are all very sound.

In another occasion, he mentioned that gifted students should not all be concentrated in a few top schools. He argued that in this environment, you breed an elite team with group think. He also proposed that the elite students should not all be concentrated in the civil service as the private sector also needs good people to grow and improve.

I made a related point recently in this forum regarding group think in our political system, that the way ahead is being decided by a very small team of people with very similar ideas of doing things. The political system should be changed to accommodate contribution from a larger group.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Same breed, same kennel, different "kennel" same cannie...can't really belive all these cannies, especially they have been fed the same 'food', gown fat over the years...can't really believe them!

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
halsey02 said:
Same breed, same kennel, different "kennel" same cannie...can't really belive all these cannies, especially they have been fed the same 'food', gown fat over the years...can't really believe them!

He did say something like that in the Old Cabinet which included Old Man, there was only one man who made business contribution to the economy of Singapore and he was Dr Goh Keng Swee. So you be the judge of this.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I say to hell with the income gap. As long as Singapore is thriving, GDP is rising and budget surpluses are being achieved regularly, the PAP should hold course and forge ahead.

If the masses start causing too much trouble, bring out the water canons, the rubber bullets and the paddy wagons.

If that doesn't quell dissent, switch to live ammo and tanks.

jw5

Loyal
The part I agree most with Ngiam is when he spoke about wealth management and wealth creation.
He said that SG is becoming more focused on the former, whereas we should be more focused on the latter.
One of the drawbacks about focusing on wealth management is that you get spoilt rich fuckers coming here
to stay and buying luxury cars. Of course they also spend money here, but they are not here to create jobs or
create useful products, services or anything of value.
Instead they use the country as their playground.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I say to hell with the income gap. As long as Singapore is thriving, GDP is rising and budget surpluses are being achieved regularly, the PAP should hold course and forge ahead.

If the masses start causing too much trouble, bring out the water canons, the rubber bullets and the paddy wagons.

If that doesn't quell dissent, switch to live ammo and tanks.

Well said! Singaporeans have become ungrateful. Without PAP, Singapore would not have existed. How dare the ignorant hoi polloi question the policies of their betters! I couldn't give a flying fuck if those useless ingrates were shot and crushed by bullets and tanks. What do those lowly workers contribute to the economy and society? How many of them are doctors, lawyers and businessmen? Singapore would work just fine if every single one of them were wiped out overnight. Majulah PAP! :mad: