• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Ngee Ann Poly Can't Find Minah's Complaint On islamophobia! Minah Now Backtracks And Says She Can't Rmb Whether She Got Lodge Complaint!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

1623916987455.png

Ngee Ann Poly tried to locate 2017 complaint about lecturer Tan Boon Lee's Islamophobic comments​

It will make all feedback channels more visible and resolve gaps in dealing with external feedback.

Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) is in the midst of firing its senior lecturer Tan Boon Lee, who made racist comments to a couple he did not know while out on the streets, and allegedly did so a few years ago in class.

In a public statement put up on Facebook on June 17, NP said in its update that it has officially charged the staff in question for serious breach of the institution's Staff Code of Conduct, and is proceeding to terminate his service.

Ex-student's claim

NP also revealed it has completed its internal investigations on the lecturer and had tried to locate the 2017 feedback a former student said she provided to complain about Tan's conduct in class, where he allegedly made Islamophobic comments.

According to the alumnus, she alleged that she had provided feedback about Tan's conduct back then while still in the polytechnic but nothing came out of it.

NP tried to find feedback
In its latest post, NP said it sought to find out why the alumnus' feedback was not acted upon back then, and combed through archives to locate the it.

According to NP's post, the alumnus said she could not remember if she provided the feedback during a post-course focus group discussion or via email.

NP wrote:

As part of our investigations, we also wanted to understand why our alumna’s feedback had not been acted upon, to tighten our feedback processes and ensure that gaps and areas of improvement are duly addressed. In our conversation with her, she indicated that she could not recall whether she had emailed her feedback on the incident or raised it during a post-course focus group discussion (FGD) in 2017. FGDs are typically held at the end of every semester to seek students’ feedback on courses and lecturers.

NP also said the feedback could not be found despite trying to find it: "We have conducted a search of our various feedback channels, and worked with our alumna for her to check her NP mailbox archives, but have not been able to locate any records of the feedback."

NP to make feedback channels more prominent
However, as part of tightening its feedback processes and as an outcome of the investigations, NP said it is "committed to preventing a similar incident from occurring again".

The polytechnic pledged to make feedback channels more prominent, and advise its staff on managing and reporting feedback they receive, even those that are provided externally.

"Nonetheless, we are committed to preventing a similar incident from occurring again, and will ensure that students are made aware of the appropriate channels for them to provide feedback in a safe manner. We will also advise our staff on how to manage and report feedback that they may receive outside of these channels, as appropriate."

Anonymous whistleblowing channel available
NP also highlighted that it has an anonymous whistleblowing email feedback channel, [email protected], for students.

NP wrote: "We would like to assure students that all feedback will be taken seriously and handled in confidence."

Feedback on teaching to be reviewed
The polytechnic also said it will work to address shortcomings in class.

The polytechnic added: "We will review our internal feedback monitoring processes to identify and resolve any gaps in teaching and learning practices and to ensure that matters of concern can be flagged in a timely manner."

Both incidents involving Tan are under police investigations.

https://mothership.sg/2021/06/ngee-ann-polytechnic-2017-complaint-feedback/

jw5

Loyal

View attachment 113886

Ngee Ann Poly tried to locate 2017 complaint about lecturer Tan Boon Lee's Islamophobic comments​

It will make all feedback channels more visible and resolve gaps in dealing with external feedback.

Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) is in the midst of firing its senior lecturer Tan Boon Lee, who made racist comments to a couple he did not know while out on the streets, and allegedly did so a few years ago in class.

In a public statement put up on Facebook on June 17, NP said in its update that it has officially charged the staff in question for serious breach of the institution's Staff Code of Conduct, and is proceeding to terminate his service.

Ex-student's claim

NP also revealed it has completed its internal investigations on the lecturer and had tried to locate the 2017 feedback a former student said she provided to complain about Tan's conduct in class, where he allegedly made Islamophobic comments.

According to the alumnus, she alleged that she had provided feedback about Tan's conduct back then while still in the polytechnic but nothing came out of it.

NP tried to find feedback
In its latest post, NP said it sought to find out why the alumnus' feedback was not acted upon back then, and combed through archives to locate the it.

According to NP's post, the alumnus said she could not remember if she provided the feedback during a post-course focus group discussion or via email.

NP wrote:

As part of our investigations, we also wanted to understand why our alumna’s feedback had not been acted upon, to tighten our feedback processes and ensure that gaps and areas of improvement are duly addressed. In our conversation with her, she indicated that she could not recall whether she had emailed her feedback on the incident or raised it during a post-course focus group discussion (FGD) in 2017. FGDs are typically held at the end of every semester to seek students’ feedback on courses and lecturers.

NP also said the feedback could not be found despite trying to find it: "We have conducted a search of our various feedback channels, and worked with our alumna for her to check her NP mailbox archives, but have not been able to locate any records of the feedback."

NP to make feedback channels more prominent
However, as part of tightening its feedback processes and as an outcome of the investigations, NP said it is "committed to preventing a similar incident from occurring again".

The polytechnic pledged to make feedback channels more prominent, and advise its staff on managing and reporting feedback they receive, even those that are provided externally.

"Nonetheless, we are committed to preventing a similar incident from occurring again, and will ensure that students are made aware of the appropriate channels for them to provide feedback in a safe manner. We will also advise our staff on how to manage and report feedback that they may receive outside of these channels, as appropriate."

Anonymous whistleblowing channel available
NP also highlighted that it has an anonymous whistleblowing email feedback channel, [email protected], for students.

NP wrote: "We would like to assure students that all feedback will be taken seriously and handled in confidence."

The polytechnic added: "We will review our internal feedback monitoring processes to identify and resolve any gaps in teaching and learning practices and to ensure that matters of concern can be flagged in a timely manner."

Both incidents involving Tan are under police investigations.

https://mothership.sg/2021/06/ngee-ann-polytechnic-2017-complaint-feedback/

Has he not been sacked already? :unsure:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-who-made-racist-remarks-to-mixed-race-couple

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN my uncle say lansai lah KNN do we leelee need lecturers in the polytechnic? KNN my uncle make a big soon par with his lj at stake again from year 2 onwards he already leelised all the lecturers are all useless old fart so he did not attend a single lecture KNN although his leesults were mostlee borderline passes but no supplementary papers were taken KNN

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He should not be sacked because of the video. He is entitled to his racist views but he did nothing unlawful.
He should be sacked for his Islamophobic comments but the issue now is....where is the evidence?
If he is sacked without evidence for the latter, anyone and everyone can be targetted.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chao cheebye minah plays the racist card, said it was very traumatizing but she didn’t lodge complain? :FU:

nin-nao-hiah

Alfrescian
Loyal
He should not be sacked because of the video. He is entitled to his racist views but he did nothing unlawful.
He should be sacked for his Islamophobic comments but the issue now is....where is the evidence?
If he is sacked without evidence for the latter, anyone and everyone can be targetted.
That looks to be the intent of the powers that be: break this person's ricebowl as a demonstration of trial by public and official opinions. Never mind if there is no shred of evidence.

This, to me, is more insidious and frightening than the Internal Security Act.

jw5

Loyal
That looks to be the intent of the powers that be: break this person's ricebowl as a demonstration of trial by public and official opinions. Never mind if there is no shred of evidence.

This, to me, is more insidious and frightening than the Internal Security Act.

If I was in the Firing Committee at Ngee Ann, I would also vote to fire him. Not for being a racist but for being an idiot. Our polytechnic students should not be taught by idiots. :wink:

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I was in the Firing Committee at Ngee Ann, I would also vote to fire him. Not for being a racist but for being an idiot. Our polytechnic students should not be taught by idiots. :wink:
A letter of reprimand is suffice.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly speaking the lecturer is being an idiot. He probably deserved to get fired. I said probably because… well he was exercising his free speech in a way. Too bad he did it in his capacity as a lecturer by talking about Quran in class. Knn… crazy bastard!

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
But is there proof that he said such things in class a few years ago? Why wait till now than u make a complain? Of coz u can come out with whatever reasons now for not raising the alarm back than. Not that I side the lecturer but u need evidence to prove him guilty!

jw5

Loyal
But is there proof that he said such things in class a few years ago? Why wait till now than u make a complain? Of coz u can come out with whatever reasons now for not raising the alarm back than. Not that I side the lecturer but u need evidence to prove him guilty!

I can only speak for what I would have done, not for what Ngee Ann did.
The guy is a fucking idiot, because even if he had negative opinion about Islam, he should just keep them to himself. It is not his place to go and lecture about all the negatives to a room of students. Even if you don't like the religion, at least have a little respect for those who have faith in it.
As for the couple of different race, again keep it to himself. Moreover, it is none of his damn business who decides to date who, unless of course the guy stole his wife or girlfriend, then his anger would be understandable. :coffee:

jw5

Loyal
A letter of reprimand is suffice.

Ok................ maybe..................... if he grows some brains or he has an exemplary record or he promises to get smarter or whatever. I would still fire him for being an idiot. :biggrin:

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok................ maybe..................... if he grows some brains or he has an exemplary record or he promises to get smarter or whatever. I would still fire him for being an idiot. :biggrin:
Even if he had done wrong, I believed everyone should be given a 2nd chance. Send him for some counselling sessions n give him a final warning, if he repeats the same mistake he'll be terminated.

jw5

Loyal
Even if he had done wrong, I believed everyone should be given a 2nd chance. Send him for some counselling sessions n give him a final warning, if he repeats the same mistake he'll be terminated.

OK.............. maybe as batman1 said in post#10, give him a letter of reprimand if there was no prior indiscretions. :thumbsup:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is something wrong with this country that racist lky built.
This lecturer has been abusing his classes and no one from the majority race made a complaint because they find nothing wrong with what he said?
Looks like the whole country is full of racist bastards.
Anyway the minorities are looking intently on the actions that will be taken upon SG51.
Make the wrong decision and we will conclude the govt is also racist.

jw5

Loyal
There is something wrong with this country that racist lky built.
This lecturer has been abusing his classes and no one from the majority race made a complaint because they find nothing wrong with what he said?
Looks like the whole country is full of racist bastards.
Anyway the minorities are looking intently on the actions that will be taken upon SG51.
Make the wrong decision and we will conclude the govt is also racist.

The best solution is that you stand for elections and become the country's next PM. Then you can eradicate racism once and for all. :thumbsup: