• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New submariner? Blue?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The straight answer is you don’t actually need any fancy complications for your watch. Chrono is practically useless since u are not a race driver and don’t have to time your laps.

GMT might be useful if you do frequent traveling and want to reference 1) local 2) foreign time at same time.

I will say the most useful and likewise expensive complication is a perpetual calendar. This type of complication is at least $30,000 and above.
View attachment 89795

The actual answer is that watches are absolutely unnecessary in this day and age. ALL the functions plus hundreds more are available on the device that is with you all the time ie your phone. The phone is also 1,000,000 times more accurate because it is synced with global ref clocks.

Phones automatically adjust for time zones, leap year, daylight saving.... everything.

Watches are just an indulgence and they're actually very troublesome. I have to reset the time on my Rolex every few months and adjust the damned date every other month too.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The straight answer is you don’t actually need any fancy complications for your watch. Chrono is practically useless since u are not a race driver and don’t have to time your laps.

GMT might be useful if you do frequent traveling and want to reference 1) local 2) foreign time at same time.

I will say the most useful and likewise expensive complication is a perpetual calendar. This type of complication is at least $30,000 and above.
View attachment 89795
Thanks.

Yes the feature I was asking about was indeed "perpetual calendar". And the IWC one seems to be the only one with automatic movement and perpetual calendar. The 2 most important functions to me.

Ironically my first watch was a Seiko which had the perpetual calendar function and it cost me less than $250 20 years ago. That's why I'm disillusioned with luxury watches and stick to my digital watches instead

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The actual answer is that watches are absolutely unnecessary in this day and age. ALL the functions plus hundreds more are available on the device that is with you all the time ie your phone. The phone is also 1,000,000 times more accurate because it is synced with global ref clocks.

Phones automatically adjust for time zones, leap year, daylight saving.... everything.

Watches are just an indulgence.
watches are like cufflinks, handkerchiefs, safety razor shavers. They hark back to a time when men were gentlemen, to a more elegant time.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
watches are like cufflinks, handkerchiefs, safety razor shavers. They hark back to a time when men were gentlemen, to a more elegant time.
Be careful .. your line of thought resulted in the hipster movement. Next thing you know people will be using typewriters and riding bikes to work.

LOL!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Be careful .. your line of thought resulted in the hipster movement. Next thing you know people will be using typewriters and riding bikes to work.

LOL!
I ride my bicycle to work. And I use typewriter fonts in my word processor. So quaint and nostalgic.

759a731483b073a2d355300ac6761938.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Watches are just an indulgence and they're actually very troublesome. I have to reset the time on my Rolex every few months and adjust the damned date every other month too.
Watches are about the only jewellery a man can wear.....so make it a good one

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal

Watches to me is a men's jewelry and also a hobby at the same time. It makes you feel good if you wear the watch you truly like. It's for myself to feel good and not for bragging rights. i also never use it for investments, it's for collection of love.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Watches to me is a men's jewelry and also a hobby at the same time. It makes you feel good if you wear the watch you truly like. It's for myself to feel good and not for bragging rights. i also never use it for investments, it's for collection of love.
Yes I feel the same way. A few good watches is all we need. The watch maketh the man.

mixmasternrv

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh and while we are at it a friend popped over today to share with me his recently purchased used Yellow Rolesor Daytona Oyster Flat Bracelet With Folding Oysterlock that he felt was a upgrade from his current Rolex Explorer.
I mean I enjoy a good purchase with horological significance but I would not part with $18K for that.
Why? I showed him my poor man's Daytona from Tudor and I told him mine was way sexier and he seemed quite enthused until he heard the price...I bought mine retail for $6K (inclusive usual discount) brand new. The watch? A full ceramic black Tudor Fastrider Black Shield.

42000CN-alcantara.jpg
446f27cb3bcb31cd512e44e9f7582dae.jpg

TUDOR Rolex Daytona

Black And Bronze Tinted Dial - Brown Alcantara Strap 42 mm monobloc matt black ceramic case, screw-down winding crown in black PVD-treated steel engraved with the Tudor logo, chronograph pushers in black PVD-treated steel, approximately 46 hours of power reserve, date, brown alcantara strap, folding buckle. Water resistant to 150 m.

Last edited:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Matte black bezel? Honestly, I can never quite see the appeal of that. It’s like in the bad old days whereby everyone wanted to get a bronze watch and see it age nicely..... which never works out.

Another faux pas will be changing to an aftermarket strap which looks wildly incompatible to the watch face. The worst culprit is the NATO strap. Simply cheapens the whole watch and gives a Daniel Wellington vibe.
1598805126634.jpeg

1598805244517.jpeg