• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New "Lemon Law" Of course, I know what lemon is...

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
from The New Paper

Blank stares, shoulder-shrugging and misinformation.

These were what greeted The New Paper team on Tuesday when we tested how much sales staff in Orchard Road stores and heartland malls knew about what is known as the "lemon law".

One thought it referred to a jewellery box, others had never heard of it, and one even accused us of lying.

The "lemon law" was passed by Parliament in March and took effect on Saturday.

Under it, sellers are obliged to repair, replace or refund the cost of defective goods reported within six months of delivery.

However, observers have commented that small enterprises may have a more difficult time coping with the law due to a lack of resources.

At four of the six stores in Orchard Road, staff had no clue about the new law.

When TNP asked a salesgirl from local retail store 77th Street at Ion Orchard if the law would protect our consumer rights if we bought a charm bracelet, she presented a small box to us, thinking the "lemon law" was a type of packaging.

Founder of 77th Street, Ms Elim Chew, 46, was among the few from management who responded when TNP told them about what happened at their stores.

She said: "Our store managers briefed them about the 'lemon law' on Thursday.

"This slight delay was due to the setting up of certain procedures in response to the law. The procedures are in place now."

Another salesgirl from a stationery store, also at Ion, said: "Lemon what? Lemon law? What's that?"

She then directed the reporter to her store manager, who also had no clue what the new law was about.

Of the 14 stores approached in heartland malls, only five had employees who knew of the law, but they were unclear about its specifics.

What was worrying was the manner in which some employees reacted to a potential customer when the law was explained to them.

Before a TNP reporter identified himself, an employee from a clothing store in Ang Mo Kio shopping mall, AMK Hub, accused him of lying after he had explained to her that the law allowed customers to exchange defective products over a six-month period.

She said: "Don't lie."

No refunds

She insisted their exchange policy was only valid for a week and that they did not give refunds.

When TNP contacted the store's head office, its managing director said that abiding by the new law was not that simple.

He said: "If they come back in a few months for a refund or exchange, we will just tell them that we cannot give it to them even if the law says so because it's just not practical.

"Fashion styles come and go too quickly. The maximum we can give is two weeks."

Of all the stores we visited, both in town and in the heartlands, one store stood out.

Staff at Stereo, a concept store that sells headphones at Ion Orchard, were trained on dealing with the law.

When our reporter asked a salesgirl if a pair of earphones that cost $29.90 would still be protected by the "lemon law", she carefully explained the process on how to get a repair and refund.

She also reminded the reporter that the period to do so was six months.

Its manager, Mr Aron Tan, 33, said they had raised several concerns with the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case) before the law was passed.

He said: "We are very concerned because replace and refund policies used to be decided on a case-by-case basis. But now, it is compulsory."

Stereo also has a fund put aside to pay customers who want a refund.

Mr Tan declined to reveal how big this fund was.

Mr Tan's other concern was the law gave more power and rights to unreasonable customers.

He said: "I previously had a customer who swam with his earphones and demanded an exchange. He said that my staff did not let him know the earphones were not waterproof."

The customer got an exchange in the end.

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
this shows how ignorant a lot of sinkie workers never read news ... wahahaha... first world country, my ass

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did you read what one of the shop owners said.

When TNP contacted the store's head office, its managing director said that abiding by the new law was not that simple.

He said: "If they come back in a few months for a refund or exchange, we will just tell them that we cannot give it to them even if the law says so because it's just not practical.

According to him it's ok for his company to break the law simply cos they say so.

chorut

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reporter also never explain. Any self-respecting reporter will at least write a para of the origin of why it is called Lemon Law.
It has a history of how the word lemon comes into the picture.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lemon law (plus a mandatory cooling off period) would have been the law long ago, had a certain worthless feeder porlumpar at CASE done his job properly instead of making dumplings with Pinky Loong.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just out of curiosity and for the interest of debate: would the new lemon law also apply to 2nd hand items sold/given away?

For example: if, say, someone sells an old TV or computer via ebay or online forum, would the law be also subject to such transactions - would the buyer have a 6mth warranty period to ensure there are no inherent defects? If so, I wonder how they would/could prove such defects were existent prior to the purchase or damage that occurred after the purchase.

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
for more details, the guidelines are on the consumer association in this link

http://www.case.org.sg/cpfta.html

i believe the link provide guidelines on how you can claim a defect purchase from the retailers. from my understanding as long as the seller is in a retail trade, then you (the buyer) are protected by the 6 month warranty irrespective the item is new or 2nd hand purchased. the law doesn't protect you if you buy your item from a private seller which means they are not registered as retailers. so best is to check your sellers' background before you commit a contract of purchase.

Just out of curiosity and for the interest of debate: would the new lemon law also apply to 2nd hand items sold/given away?

For example: if, say, someone sells an old TV or computer via ebay or online forum, would the law be also subject to such transactions - would the buyer have a 6mth warranty period to ensure there are no inherent defects? If so, I wonder how they would/could prove such defects were existent prior to the purchase or damage that occurred after the purchase.

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you know that ebay has its own consumer protection law? if you buy anything through ebay, ebay law will protect sellers and buyers. i don't think ebay is under lemon law regulation b/c ebay is online retailers and they are not even registered in singapore as retailers

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
the reporter doesn't need to explain how lemon law comes about. it is not their duty to divulge information to the retailers. but the onus is on the retailers to find out about it.

i find a lot of sinkie ppl don't read newspapers. that's y a lot of them are so ignorant abt new regulation.

The reporter also never explain. Any self-respecting reporter will at least write a para of the origin of why it is called Lemon Law.
It has a history of how the word lemon comes into the picture.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the reporter doesn't need to explain how lemon law comes about. it is not their duty to divulge information to the retailers. but the onus is on the retailers to find out about it.

i find a lot of sinkie ppl don't read newspapers. that's y a lot of them are so ignorant abt new regulation.

The problem with "laws" is that you need an official body who is going to enforce the rules. So who in Spore has that honor :confused:

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
many store assistants dont know about this lemon law. i brought a school bag at amk hub, so ask the msian ah lian store assistant the exchange procedure in the event bag rosak. She said company policy is within 7days, so i ask what abt the new lemon law, she dunno anything abt lemon and insist company policy is 7days. anyway not my job to educate her, it her company duty to do it.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Consumer rights? Another Western invention. Rights and freedoms are incompatible with the proud Confucian values of Singaporeans. Singaporeans do not want rights. They are a pragmatic lot. They are more concerned with bread-and-butter issues. I think the government should repeal this Lemon Law. You wouldn't want Singapore to deteriorate into a chaotic society like those in the West, would you? :rolleyes:

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe the registrar will send them a letter about this new lemon law to the retailers. the onus is still on the retailers to find out about this law. retailers can't argue with it even though they want to insist about their 7 or 14 days return policy.

The problem with "laws" is that you need an official body who is going to enforce the rules. So who in Spore has that honor :confused:

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
singapore is trying to encourage not only local shoppers to shop in singapore, but all over the world to come and shop in singapore. that's y this lemon law come about to give consumers more faith to shop in singapore. it's a smart tactic:wink:

Consumer rights? Another Western invention. Rights and freedoms are incompatible with the proud Confucian values of Singaporeans. Singaporeans do not want rights. They are a pragmatic lot. They are more concerned with bread-and-butter issues. I think the government should repeal this Lemon Law. You wouldn't want Singapore to deteriorate into a chaotic society like those in the West, would you? :rolleyes: