• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My top 3 best Nasi Padang in SG

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow great! another foodie thread.

Alamaking, may i ask if Sayur Lodeh is an authentic nasi padang dish?
No its not, there are not many vege dishes in Nasi Padang, the tapioca leaves and the young jackfruit are some of the vege dishes. Tempe, petai (stinky beans) and Jengkol are vege dishes too

Sayur lodeh are very familiar with Indo's Lontong Sayur, think here they improvised bah.

11542_332631970093_329458175093_9697406_8029061_n.jpg

This is Jengkol

petai1of1-6.jpg

This is petai, some cooked, some eat it raw with just chillies

Last edited:

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just came back from Jakarta this week and had Nasi Padang at Garuda restaurant something there... cant say I exactly like their concept there as all the food are put on table and those not eaten, are taken back for the next diner... but in Rome, do what the Romans do, I guess. Food was so-so.

Prefer the Padang food here, so far always liked Rendezvous but really too pricey, so dont eat it often.
Nice to find out so many other places recommended by bros here... will check them out, thanks.

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
No its not, there are not many vege dishes in Nasi Padang, the tapioca leaves and the young jackfruit are some of the vege dishes. Tempe, petai (stinky beans) and Jengkol are vege dishes too

Sayur lodeh are very familiar with Indo's Lontong Sayur, think here they improvised bah.

11542_332631970093_329458175093_9697406_8029061_n.jpg

This is Jengkol

petai1of1-6.jpg

This is petai, some cooked, some eat it raw with just chillies

The Petai with chilli looks awesome!
Where can I find this?

jw5

Loyal
The stall at Havelock/River Valley, opposite Great World City is quite good.

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw, what is jengkol?
I ate it first time this week but not sure what it was... guess some kind of vegetables?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rendezvous now in eu tong sen? Their original at the old site among the 2nd hand book dealers was bestest....then they moved to raffles city.....many years never tried liao.

Warong also good but everyday long queue and close so early...

Rendezvous used to be locacted next to the alley where there was Saint the 2nd hand books store. I preferred the nasi padang store a few feet further down at the corner store(on the Bras Basah side) because it was not so spicy. I can't remember the name of that popular store:confused: Anyone remember the name?

Last edited:

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a small little known one run by Indons in Lucky Plaza - its not a restaurant per se but a food stall set up inside a single unit with about 6 tables - they serve one particular dish which is rarely made in most nasi padang stores - Ayam Rendang - 1 meat + 2 veggie meal is about $8 but the food pretty much beats any makcik's cooking...servings are hearty and they serve 3 different types of chilli...the green one is killer

Minang House Traditional Nasi Padang
#02 - 004
(65) 6887 4702

http://www.luckyplaza.com.sg/imagestore/userfiles/image/floor_maps/L2_large.jpg

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johnny333 said:
Rendezvous used to be locacted next to the alley where there was Saint the 2nd hand books store. I preferred the nasi padang store a few feet further down at the corner store(on the Bras Basah side) because it was not so spicy. I can't remember the name of that popular store:confused: Anyone remember the name?

Rendezvous was the restaurant right at the corner end opposite Cathay cinema. Today, they are at Central. The food range has narrowed.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
the only difference between nasi padang and northern malay food is their meet curry and sambal. Others like gulai nangka, gulai ikan (more like ikan masak lemak or cuka), gulai telur and gulai kambing (served during kenduri mostly) are similar. Northern malay food is not as sweet as its southern counterpart(johore).

FYI negeri sembilan food have dendeng and many more nasi padang favourites. Their ancestors are padang people and the women folks are the ones with balls.

The other thing, authentic padang food uses the animal to the max, including cow's brain.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a couple of authentic Indon cuisine restaurants in Lucky Plaza selling decent Nasi Padang (other than Ayam Penyet Ria).

Be careful when going there on weekends. You'll have to navigate through hordes of Filipino maids to get to those restaurants.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Alamaking, great thread. Fan of Nasi Padang but now understand how they are served. Been to Pariman and enjoyed it. Loved the Rendeveous chicken and the sotong. The staff however are poor in courtesy and stiff.

When did they go to Eu Tong Sen? I thought they are in the hotel of the same name facing Cathay, their old address.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
None I have tasted here has rendang comparable to those from Indonesia, and Nasi Padang is hard to find in our neighbourhood stalls.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, most Singapore and Malaysian Malays call it Nasi Campur (mixed rice). Indonesians call it Nasi Padang (field rice). As a whiff of Indonesian wind blew over to Singapore decades ago, some Singapore Malays began to call it Nasi Padang too. The best version is available in north Malaysia, Penang and Kedah areas. It's called Nasi Kandar (balanced rice) there. But Nasi Kandar isn't pure Malay style. It's somewhere in between Malay and Indian Muslim style without being outright Briyani. Very cheap and low quality rice, even qualifying for discard in the bins, is used for Nasi Briyani. That's why it needs to be soaked in colorant while cooking. Nasi Kandar (or Campur or Padang) uses higher quality rice suitable for cooking and eating as plain rice. The lemak, curry, fish and meat can be cooked served as toppings separately.

The best rice is still Japanese, Korean, northern Chinese and Californian rice. Nobody there wants to even cook it as porridge as it'd be considered a waste of good plain rice. Southern Chinese, SEA and Indian rice grades are not that good. That's why chok, kway teow, kway chap, chee cheong fun etc. are invented out of rice. The best grade of rice in SEA is Thai jasmine flagrant. Below that grade, I'd consider inedible as plain rice and would rather have a bowl of noodle.

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a small little known one run by Indons in Lucky Plaza - its not a restaurant per se but a food stall set up inside a single unit with about 6 tables - they serve one particular dish which is rarely made in most nasi padang stores - Ayam Rendang - 1 meat + 2 veggie meal is about $8 but the food pretty much beats any makcik's cooking...servings are hearty and they serve 3 different types of chilli...the green one is killer

Minang House Traditional Nasi Padang
#02 - 004
(65) 6887 4702

http://www.luckyplaza.com.sg/imagestore/userfiles/image/floor_maps/L2_large.jpg

Been to every nook of Padang regency in Sumatra.Hence eaten every known variety of Padang food there is.But want to stay off this thread simply because as there is no such as thing as a typical ethnicity of food anymore.For better or worse.Just as there is no Singapore variant of Hainanese chicken rice in Hainan itself or no such thing as Fish head curry in S.India;in fact fish head is never eaten as a decent dish in India.

Likewise,the Nasi Padang had evolved.In fact the Nasi Padang one eats in the provincial capital of Padang and Pariaman (an hour and a half drive)is different.Not to mention the Nasi Bakau of Bukit Tinggi( a three hour drive from capital) which is quite different altogether.Now you must note the difference between Pariaman and Padang per ce.Those from Pariaman are usually the coolie class--hence their food is not so rich.

But what markes a truly authentic Nasi Padang is as you mention,the green and red sambal..Yes,the green one is the killer and the red milder.But most of the Nasi Padang outlets in Sinkie does not serves the sambal.Heck,who cares since taste matters most and why bother if it's nothing original or authentic.

btw.pls note that Minang never use the term machik for aunties or older females.only malays uses this teminology.You should call them ibu.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, most Singapore and Malaysian Malays call it Nasi Campur (mixed rice). Indonesians call it Nasi Padang (field rice). As a whiff of Indonesian wind blew over to Singapore decades ago, some Singapore Malays began to call it Nasi Padang too. The best version is available in north Malaysia, Penang and Kedah areas. It's called Nasi Kandar (balanced rice) there. But Nasi Kandar isn't pure Malay style. It's somewhere in between Malay and Indian Muslim style without being outright Briyani. Very cheap and low quality rice, even qualifying for discard in the bins, is used for Nasi Briyani. That's why it needs to be soaked in colorant while cooking. Nasi Kandar (or Campur or Padang) uses higher quality rice suitable for cooking and eating as plain rice. The lemak, curry, fish and meat can be cooked served as toppings separately.

Spewing utter rubbish.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rendezvous was the restaurant right at the corner end opposite Cathay cinema. Today, they are at Central. The food range has narrowed.

In those days names weren't that important:smile: You just needed the location & people knew which paces you were referring to. Not like today where things are so difficult.

There was I believe 2 or 3 nasi padang places next to each other at Dhoby Ghaut, but I can only recall that 1 "nasi padang" place because the food was milder than it's neighbours which was very too hot for my tastes:o