• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My Paper article implies that well-to-do Sinkies are tolerant of foreigners!

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because of how I feel about the unusually lob-sided news in local is, I have not bought any newspapers for almost 4 years now. I only go to get the free papers because I still want to see some news of the world, ans also what some things happening in SG are reported.

Today (not the free paper.. but really referring to this day 27th August 2013), I read thru' My Paper and was very disturbed by an article that implied that a finding/survey/whatever they want to call it, has found that Sinkies earning below SGD 2k was not tolerant of foreigners and felt that the numbers of these people should be cut.. and so on. Not surprising, as many foreigners have taken away jobs from lower income earners.. but the tag of SGD 2k meant that these foreigners are moving up the pay scale.. no wonder mre and mre PMEs are getting kicked out into the "cold".

But the disturbing thing was that, the article implied that findings suggested Sinkies who earned SGD 3k or over, were more tolerant of foreigners. I was dumbfounded and speechless. There weren't any EXACT figures (usual) but the percentages seemed to show that well-to-do ppl who earned higher income didn't mind mre foreigners at all. Now.. it's not surprising.. but the fact that this was REPORTED.. sent bad vibes through my whole body.

I met my friends for tea/kopi this late afternoon, and all of them also read this article too.. after a hearty discussion.. some opinions were formed..

1) Is the article suggesting that if Sinkies earned SGD 3k or more, they will be kinder to foreigners and be willing to allow more of them into SG? But if that happens, and their jobs (rice bowls) are affected, will they still hold the same view? And.. was this ever asked in the survey/study/whatever...?

2) Is the article trying to tell Sinkies... that the RICH don't care.. and don't feel a thing about these increase of foreigners and therefore, to appease these RICH.. the rest should not make noise? Now.. think of who else besides PMETs also earned SGD 3k or more.. I will give a hint.. think of the ppl in the parliament.. the cabinet.. those who actually dish out the policies... is the article actually telling Sinkies that THESE people.. can tolerate foreigners or even more, just because their pay is more.. does that mean they don;t care about what us ordinary folk feel?!!!

3) One of my friend's words were, "Great! So to make all SG ppl accept more foreigners, all companies should pay Singaporeans at least SGD 3k! Then, all is happy what.. no?" He has my full agreement here.. raise all workers' salaries who are Singaproeans, to SGD 3k a month (those that are actually below SGD3k to begin with).. then the SG ppl will not call on the Govt to stop foreigner inflow.. the govt happy, the companies can hire as many FT(rash) as they want, and SG ppl are happy. Win! Win! Win!

Now.. I am seriously having so many thoughts in my mind.. "why put out this article?", "does the editor or press think ppl in SG don't have brains or don't know how to think?", "what is the editor, reporter... all the ppl at this newspaper thinking? do they know what they are actually reporting and what kind of ideas are they feeding to the ppl who read this article?"

Lastly, one friend said the best thing that all 4 of us at the kopi-tiam agreed might be the cause of such an article being put in print.

"Maybe the reporter is a FTrash, and the editor also a FTrash, and they, being the cheap labour that they are, don't know how to think ahead.. and just thought this will make the ordinary folk shut up so as not to drive the rich ppl away or make the rich annoyed!??"

I mean.. what else could be the reason for such a stupid article being put onto a free newspaper? Do they think nobody will take notice, or even ponder over the implications of such an article and the findings???

Good job, people at My Paper!! Definitely food for the brains!!!

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,You noe y they put lidat? Cos.. those who got money ah, dun take public transport.. so.. duno the squeeze that ppl feel wif those ah nehs, ah tiongs n those idiot pinoys.plus.. those who earn more ah think their job is secure lor.. but when kena kick or sack or retrench n haf to compete wif these Ftrash.. den they kaupeh kaubu lor.These ppl nvr learn de.. until they see "coffin" den they will cry.My Paper is probably thinking they are dam smart.. well.. ppl will remember de.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro,You noe y they put lidat? Cos.. those who got money ah, dun take public transport.. so.. duno the squeeze that ppl feel wif those ah nehs, ah tiongs n those idiot pinoys.plus.. those who earn more ah think their job is secure lor.. but when kena kick or sack or retrench n haf to compete wif these Ftrash.. den they kaupeh kaubu lor.These ppl nvr learn de.. until they see "coffin" den they will cry.My Paper is probably thinking they are dam smart.. well.. ppl will remember de.

Well my friend.. when these ppl who earn SGD 3k and more do get the axe, and then find it hard to get back into the working world.. then they will realize that they have let in the "wolf into the house".

Why is it that these people.. and I believe most are late 20s to early and mid 30s and 40s, don't see the bigger picture?

Ah Loong has admitted that him and his party don't have 20/20 foresight vision.. but I think alot more Singaporeans who currently hold jobs, are even more short-sighted.. and too comfy and unwilling to ponder over their future.

Being ignorant is no longer an excuse. You have the internet to get around the MSN and read and listen to what others have to say about this country.. and then make your own comparison.. and your own opinion on what you think are good and bad things.

I only hope those earning SGD 3k and more, are not representing more than 50% of the voting population when the next elections are near.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a personal level, I'm okay co-existing with foreigners. My department is an even mix of foreigners and locals, and they do not pose major thread to my survival.

Many people gripe about the overcrowding in public transport, but as I drive, this doesn't affect me. I also do not think foreigners are jamming up the roads with their cars. You'll be surprised in an international bank like the one I'm in, very few expats actually drives a car here. Even when I look around me on the roads, I see mostly fellow middle class Sinkies behind the wheels.

It is also not quite true that foreigners drive up the COE prices, as I have mentioned above, most of them don't drive here. In fact they are to aghast at our car prices here, and the fact that they are not likely to stay here for too long, the would not want to buy a car.

So its a typical Sinkie pawn Sinkie situation on the roads. It's their stupid kiasu mentality plus laziness in letting the car dealers bid on their behalf, that drove up COE prices. It is also the typical Sinkie kiasu mentality, that drove up property prices. Finally, it's the typical kiasu + kiasi mentality that keep voting back the same people time after time, expecting things to change but it never did, it just gets worse.

If you are a Sinkie and you are not doing well, don't blame foreigners. Have a good look at yourself first.

Last edited:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a personal level, I'm okay co-existing with foreigners. My department is an even mix of foreigners and locals, and they do not pose major thread to my survival.

Many people gripe about the overcrowding in public transport, but as I drive, this doesn't affect me. I also do not think foreigners are jamming up the roads with their cars. You'll be surprised in an international bank like the one I'm in, very few expats actually drives a car here. Even when I look around me on the roads, I see mostly fellow middle class Sinkies behind the wheels.

It is also not quite true that foreigners drive up the COE prices, as I have mentioned above, most of them don't drive here. In fact they are to aghast at our car prices here, and the fact that they are not likely to stay here for too long, the would not want to buy a car.

So its a typical Sinkie pawn Sinkie situation on the roads. It's their stupid kiasu mentality plus laziness in letting the car dealers bid on their behalf, that drove up COE prices. It is also the typical Sinkie kiasu mentality, that drove up property prices. Finally, it's the typical kiasu + kiasi mentality that keep voting back the same people time after time, expecting things to change but it never did, it just gets worse.

If you are a Sinkie and you are not doing well, don't blame foreigners. Have a good look at yourself first.

If u r a Sinkie and not doing well, its because of foreigners because they took that job or promotion from u. The gahment is chiefly to blame because they do not protect the locals..eg hire Sinkies first then foreigners. True there are many foreigners who are better than locals but there are also many foreigners who are crap and they take good jobs away from Sinkies. U will sing a different tune when your job is taken over by a FT who costs much less and younger than u.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Troll has posted the sad truth about typical selfish behaviour amongst those 60+%.. (hopefully it's dwindling).. and how short-sighted they are.

Yes.. the bank (MNC) which you work in, may not hire that many foreigners.. for NOW. But once YOU become too EXPENSIVE when compared to a foreigner.. or when that foreigner is willing to do more work for lesser than your salary.. *boom*.. you will be out that door of that MNC you work in.

Face it, businesses exist for profits. If they can save money (hiring foreigners who are willing to work less and do the same work as you.. or do more), there is not second guessing what the business owners will do.

And you say you see Singaporeans around you when you drive.. WOW!! You have x-ray vision? You can see their NRIC.. or you can identify facial features of a SINGAPOREAN over a FOREIGNER??? The ICA should hire you as an expert and put you to guard our entry points!! Your talent is wasted in the bank!!

Finally... you work in a MNC and already it is an "even mix", which leaves me to think you mean.. HALF of your office are foreigners. Pray tell.. where are they from?

And if MNCs hire like half their employees from foreigners.. do you think the SMEs will hire more Singaporeans? Singaporeans are being squeezed out.. and you don't seem to think ahead for yourself, or for your children and the future generation of Singapore.. to take some time to really consider what it might become if MORE and MORE foreigners are allowed in.. onto our shores.

And that's why I said the frigging 60+% who voted for the incumbent government in the last GE are short-sighted and are not thinking ahead and weighing the seriousness of SG's future.

Too long have SG ppl NOT THOUGHT about politics.. because we believed in those who were leading us.. they did a good job transforming SG into what it is today. But why are more and more ppl in SG not smiling? If life is SOOO GOOD.. why are we NOT SMILING?!!

Don't just think you are safe and secure right now... think.. ponder.. have some time to discuss with ppl over the possible future.. and ask yourself.. why are more and more Singaporeans over 35s-40s not able to hold onto their jobs.. and are less able to get re-hired back into the workforce to earn for their living.

For those Singaporeans who are working now.. getting whatever salary brackets you are getting.. if you have not reached 35-40 and are not worried... you are lucky.. but don't sit on your laurels.. with so many foreigners in SG.. everyone can be REPLACED. It's just a question of when.. and for how much!!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's put it this way. Ang mors will always prefer to work with their own type. If it wasn't for the law requiring them to maintain a quota, Sinkies would have been screwed thoroughly.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have worked for MNCs & one thing I've noticed is that foreigners are more likely to help their own while Sporeans are more like lone wolves & failing to network with others that could help them in their careers.

I could hear my Malaysian colleagues sharing with other Malaysians info on job oppurtunities. This helped many of them to upgrade. The angmos would also help each other get the juicy positions & once they were in they only helped their 'own'.

So it's not always about Sporeans failing to do well but rather the foreigners are better at ganging up on Sporeans. What's made it worse is that Sporeans are hampered by their reservist commitments. Many companies don't like people going off to play soldier.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Troll has posted the sad truth about typical selfish behaviour amongst those 60+%.. (hopefully it's dwindling).. and how short-sighted they are.

Yes.. the bank (MNC) which you work in, may not hire that many foreigners.. for NOW. But once YOU become too EXPENSIVE when compared to a foreigner.. or when that foreigner is willing to do more work for lesser than your salary.. *boom*.. you will be out that door of that MNC you work in.

Face it, businesses exist for profits. If they can save money (hiring foreigners who are willing to work less and do the same work as you.. or do more), there is not second guessing what the business owners will do.

And you say you see Singaporeans around you when you drive.. WOW!! You have x-ray vision? You can see their NRIC.. or you can identify facial features of a SINGAPOREAN over a FOREIGNER??? The ICA should hire you as an expert and put you to guard our entry points!! Your talent is wasted in the bank!!

Finally... you work in a MNC and already it is an "even mix", which leaves me to think you mean.. HALF of your office are foreigners. Pray tell.. where are they from?

And if MNCs hire like half their employees from foreigners.. do you think the SMEs will hire more Singaporeans? Singaporeans are being squeezed out.. and you don't seem to think ahead for yourself, or for your children and the future generation of Singapore.. to take some time to really consider what it might become if MORE and MORE foreigners are allowed in.. onto our shores.

And that's why I said the frigging 60+% who voted for the incumbent government in the last GE are short-sighted and are not thinking ahead and weighing the seriousness of SG's future.

Too long have SG ppl NOT THOUGHT about politics.. because we believed in those who were leading us.. they did a good job transforming SG into what it is today. But why are more and more ppl in SG not smiling? If life is SOOO GOOD.. why are we NOT SMILING?!!

Don't just think you are safe and secure right now... think.. ponder.. have some time to discuss with ppl over the possible future.. and ask yourself.. why are more and more Singaporeans over 35s-40s not able to hold onto their jobs.. and are less able to get re-hired back into the workforce to earn for their living.

For those Singaporeans who are working now.. getting whatever salary brackets you are getting.. if you have not reached 35-40 and are not worried... you are lucky.. but don't sit on your laurels.. with so many foreigners in SG.. everyone can be REPLACED. It's just a question of when.. and for how much!!

When I drive on the roads, I do look around and every other drivers are fellow Sinkies like me. Fellow Sinkies have a certain face and certain driving habits, don't need x-ray eyes to spot. Anyway that's not so important, because the key point I want to share is below:

While the presence of too many foreigners poses many interesting challenges, truth is, the absence of foreigners doesn't guarantee you'll be able to hold on to your job till retirement. The world has changed, and Singapore has never been in a position that we are immune to economic cycles. During bad times, businesses WILL close down, and people WILL loss their jobs. The fact is, you can never out-cheap anybody, whether as an employee, as a business, or as a country.

I agree with your last statement, which essentially says nobody is indispensable. Which is why I take these couple of years to line up my cards, so that after this job I'll be doing something else even more profitable. I take ownership of my destiny and will not allow the company, or even economic cycles affect me.

My parting shot is, don't be a loser Sinkie who sit down and whine about things, especially foreigner issues. It's fine to vote out PAP - if you all can and I sincerely hope that day will come. But no matter who is in power, if you do not take ownership of your career and destiny, you only have yourself to blame when the economy goes south.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have worked for MNCs & one thing I've noticed is that foreigners are more likely to help their own while Sporeans are more like lone wolves & failing to network with others that could help them in their careers.

I could hear my Malaysian colleagues sharing with other Malaysians info on job oppurtunities. This helped many of them to upgrade. The angmos would also help each other get the juicy positions & once they were in they only helped their 'own'.

So it's not always about Sporeans failing to do well but rather the foreigners are better at ganging up on Sporeans. What's made it worse is that Sporeans are hampered by their reservist commitments. Many companies don't like people going off to play soldier.

Generally your observation is quite true. That said, I do form my own gang of like minded Singaporeans where we share information and help each other.

In the end, the only way for Spore to be a country, is we, fellow Sinkies - stop pawning each other.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3K = well to do?
2k =low income?

again this is simi lan jiao logic? What are about the ministar salaries? Call what?

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I drive on the roads, I do look around and every other drivers are fellow Sinkies like me. Fellow Sinkies have a certain face and certain driving habits, don't need x-ray eyes to spot. Anyway that's not so important, because the key point I want to share is below:

While the presence of too many foreigners poses many interesting challenges, truth is, the absence of foreigners doesn't guarantee you'll be able to hold on to your job till retirement. The world has changed, and Singapore has never been in a position that we are immune to economic cycles. During bad times, businesses WILL close down, and people WILL loss their jobs. The fact is, you can never out-cheap anybody, whether as an employee, as a business, or as a country.

I agree with your last statement, which essentially says nobody is indispensable. Which is why I take these couple of years to line up my cards, so that after this job I'll be doing something else even more profitable. I take ownership of my destiny and will not allow the company, or even economic cycles affect me.

My parting shot is, don't be a loser Sinkie who sit down and whine about things, especially foreigner issues. It's fine to vote out PAP - if you all can and I sincerely hope that day will come. But no matter who is in power, if you do not take ownership of your career and destiny, you only have yourself to blame when the economy goes south.

I still say you are over-estimating yourself on being so "spot-on" on the supposed nationalities of those drivers that you described. There is no way you can prove 100% that all those you saw.. are indeed Singaporeans.

And I don't agree that with less foreigners, Singaporeans would not be in a better position to get MORE jobs than what they are able to hunt for now. Foreigners flooding SG is not a challenge.. it's a big MISTAKE. And pappies are only realizing it from the results of the GE2011 and the previous 2 by-elections.

With lesser foreigners, the fact is.. more Singaporeans will have more opportunities to get employed. This does not translate into more BEING employed.. just more opportunities. And you are correct. it doesn't guarantee that those who find jobs, those who currently have jobs, will necessarily be able to hold onto to them. But.. at least.. they will have MORE OPPORTUNITIES THAN WHAT THEY ARE HAVING NOW!!

It would be a far cry from going to an office where half, or even more of the office workers and colleagues, are foreigners. I have heard too many stories of ppl who go for interviews and are being told that employers need Singaporeans.. because their foreign quota has been reached. Most of the time, these SG ppl who go into those companies.. where foreign quota has been reached.. faces "attack" from not only the foreigners, but also the local supervisors and bosses. They tell me that they ar being chastised on being "not willing to work longer hours as the foreigners", "not wanting to do multiple roles" and wanting to have more pay than the foreigners.

First of all, foreigners.. most of them.. do not have families here. They probably will go home after they have earned enough.. and the exfhange rate will guarantee them a very very comfortable life back in their home country.

They can work longer hours because they have nothing else better to do here. They come here, work, sleep, eat...etc etc. If they don't work to earn money.. they will probably stay at their residences and not want to go out to shop at pricy Orchard road or anywhere else. They are the serious bargain hunters in SG. Go to the electronics fairs.. so many of them buy so many and sent back home to sell to their relatives and friends to make EVEN MORE MONEY!

Unlike the Singaporeans, who would/might want to consider to start families.. they will need their private time to court, date, go out, hang out, relax and recharge, spend time with family and friends.. because this is their HOME!! SG is HOME for Singaporeans.. what do you want them to do? Work until they die??!!!

I say, kick those cheap foreigners out of SG! Impose tougher rules on employing foreigners, stricter regulation on who is hiring what kind of ppl to be coming into SG. We don't need TRASH who crowd our MRTs, waste our time blocking the pedestrian paths, cut queues and generally make a din here.

Troll.. I'm not afraid to say this, but your comments seem to indicate your "love" and "tolerance" of the foreigners.. but how well will you like them.. if your children are to compete with MORE and MORE of them? Unless you want to leave SG.. which then makes your comments even less tolerable because you probably don't care.. and therefore.. why bother to post here then?

You have a plan for your future, good for you. You're thinking for yourself, good.. but are you thinking for your fellow country brethren? I am assuming you are a Singaporean. And if you say you can't care less.. then get lost you selfish bugger! One less of your kind, makes the rest more united.

Change is happening everyday.. and this is what elitist fear.. for they are the ones who are most comfortable with the way things are.. so that they can still reap the benefits and enjoy what they can.

I feel a revolution.. of some sort.. coming.. and it has no place for selfish buggers who just think for themselves.. for I feel it is only to be united that we can move on.. move forward.. I for one, say :kick those selfish buggers out', 'kick those trash out'.. and then rebuild what we want this country to be for us and our future generations. We have had it too easy.. adn too lazy... depending on the few.. for over 40+ years.. to take us where we are today. But I don't think we can escape the hardships of really making a country mature into a proud nation. one that includes every citizen.. that looks after every citizen to the best that it can.

We need to have a vision of solidarity.. to march onward.. and make this country.. a place where we would be glad our children can grow up and grow old in.

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the end, the only way for Spore to be a country, is we, fellow Sinkies - stop pawning each other.

sinkies have small hearts; they rather see a foreigner achieve success than a fellow citizen.

how many of you out there actually support locally made clothes/movies/music/gadgets? probably 10%-20% at most.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies have small hearts; they rather see a foreigner achieve success than a fellow citizen.

how many of you out there actually support locally made clothes/movies/music/gadgets? probably 10%-20% at most.
agree! ...

gahmen lidat wat! ... if gahmen got angmo consultant vs local consultant, u tink gahmen gif wok 2 local sinkie consultant? ... if got imported product, u tink gahmen wil buy local product? ... ofcos, oni unless product is made by glc ...

if gahmen dun support local coys n products, how can u convins daft sinkies 2 do so? ...

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
if gahmen dun support local coys n products, how can u convins daft sinkies 2 do so? ...

where's tonychat? sinkie alert.

fren, you need the gahmen to tell you when to pang sai?????

i shit whenever i want, as long as got toilet. if no toilet, i will dig hole behind a tree. if no tree, then i will shit in my pants.

t0nychat

Alfrescian
Loyal
All you sinkies, better welcome we Foreign Talents with open arms and legs, especially the Malaysians.

Without us, you sinkies will die.