• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My 3 sticking points for the upcoming GE

seebaysong

Alfrescian
Loyal
(1) Pay for "low-grade" civil services need to be raised substantially... Think abt it... we pay big $$$ for top pple taking high posts... we pay top $$$ for no. 1 infrastructure in transport, communications, housing, etc... we pay top $$$ for healthcare...now... let's look at our "lower-level" civil services :

- we hv arguably no.1 rubbish collection service nation-wide, these are high risk jobs with lots of potential health hazards... we ought to pay these pple their dues for their courage to take on these jobs, whether they are FTs, locals or foreigners

- we hv very good healthcare, world class even! Our nursing support staff needs to be rewarded for their efforts... they deserve a pension scheme for their toils and troubles... imagine cleaning up after patients day-in-day out, even if this is not a work hazard, it requires patience and passion

- we r working towards no.1 educational system in the world... same story... there is a gross imbalance... current "smarts" are due to top $$$ splashed by parents into extra enrichment programs... only few principals+teachers can be complimented... why? Most of the work are done by the parents anyway !
Don't mean to give a slap in the face, but as a parent, I m slapped over and over and over again... I hope teachers can be rewarded well and motivated to want to bear a larger burden for their students' future... REWARD THE TEACHERS !

Simply put... if the carrot is dangled as a means for getting us NO. 1 ... then please be consistent and use it for ALL, not just a few elite.

How much more some may ask ... I say give from the heart... imagine if you, mr minister/mp are doing the rubbish cleaning, shit cleaning, vomit cleaning, teaching rascals, etc... how much do you think you should be paid... Are you paying administrative staff who sit happily and comfortably in air-con cool comfort more for less work ? At the moment, YES! CRAP!

(2) Make public transport CHEAP ! Pls spare us the term "affordable"... Make public transport CHEAP ! How can we expect parents to bear 3,4,5 kids and ask them to use public transport ? Don't they know that a family of 7-8 pay more public transport than buying their own vehicle ?! No wonder pple don't dare to venture beyond 0 kids!

MAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORT CHEAP !

(3) Make public transport ACCESSIBLE !

Notice the number of white elephants called the LRT trains coasting from point A to point Z ? Who uses them ? Only pple with deep pockets... LRT rides are expensive, machiam taking a sight seeing tour of sentosa, where u do it only once in a while...

rather, LRT should be fully integrated into the MRT network, 1 fare should cover start point ---> destination. It should not be so hap-hazard and disconnected. LRT should not be treated as a feeder service, but an extension to the main rail. I guarantee LRT will be successful if that is done... Lastly, I m sure we can afford a few tens of millions in subsidising public transport since this is peanut considering how much we make each yr... rite :wink:

.... afterall, what is paying millions to top civil servants if we are able to get top solutions ? :biggrin: