• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mudland nurse exposes disgraceful working conditions in NUH

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
A bit of context, this issue in SG has been long on going. It’s not a new issue, not even 10 years back, it goes longer than that.
In short, am a former nurse from Malaysia, who worked in NUH 8 years back under the same hostile conditions. With no support, from the Nurse manager, hospital and HR.

My first brush with the working conditions there, came from about 15 years ago.

When a senior returned from SGH to work back in KL, but with a bad neck disc degeneration due to the work load and nature. A surgeon commented ‘Wow if this was in the UK, the hospital can get sued under OSHA’.

I went on to join NUH, my first red flag was the urgency they needed me to come over citing ‘shortage of staff’. I already told them, I am taking a 3 month break after years of working in Kl. They called every 3 weeks, asking me to consider coming now.

You said, you are the top hospital in SG. Then why the chronic shortage of staff?

Second red flag is when I arrived there.

The ward was in shambles!

To say cowboy ward, form the staff’s to patients and nurse manager, is an understatement. Never have I seen a ward, with 3 nurse managers, 1 charge nurse, 1 Clinical Instructor and only the charge nurse is hands on. The rest Do Nothing.

And the ward manager, doesn’t even sit in the ward! Disappears to God knows where, after clocking in.

Third red flag is when the senior nurse of 10 years said to me, that she is trying to get a transfer out for 8 years to no vail. Because, for 10 years this ward has been short of staff. What has the hospital management and Matron, been doing?!

Fourth red flag. No paid overtime. Off day withheld at the whim and fancy, of the management. Slave is it? Work for free. Disgraceful labour laws and union.

In short, apathetic; Nursing management, HR, Hospital administration.
The patients
have no shame, in yelling F*ck you to the nurses. Thankfully never to me, as I already came in as senior nurse and do not take this rubbish from anyone.
The nurses, is another story. While there are hard working, eager to serve young ones. There is a deep bullying culture in nursing, there is even a research done on it- called the ‘teenage high school girl syndrome’.And in SG, it is worst because of the influx of foreign nurses.
The Pinoy’s gang together, Indians from India one group, Chinese from China one group and the minority of Singaporean + Malaysian nurses. Reports would be passed in Tagalog, Tamil, when its supposed to be in English.
To be honest, some countries nurses are really poorly skilled and poor in attitude.
Human resource asked me 3 times to not resign, or wait till they can get more senior nurses. They had 10 years for that!
I came back with a bad plantar faciatis, which needed 1 year of treatment.
Because there were no chairs for nurses to sit, why? Because they need to add more beds, so nurses desk & chair has was removed.
Even when I was in agony standing, the Nurse manager will drag the chair away from me and not allow me to see the Doctor, till I just walked out and went myself , without the stupid slip.
*I was not bonded, due to the senior entry level. To the young ones, stuck with the bond, feel sorry for you my fellow colleagues. But dialog and awareness, must go on.

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good eye opener... Never expected the medical staff in SG are in such bad shape!
Wonder if the doctors working in these places are having similar problems?

Datingafter35

Alfrescian
Loyal
IT also. It's because of cheap labour and influx of foreign labourers who set the culture and bosses who assume that Singaporeans will take this lying down.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Good eye opener... Never expected the medical staff in SG are in such bad shape!
Wonder if the doctors working in these places are having similar problems?

Yes only the local ones. I had a friend he told me even lunch close door and eat tabao 10 mins finish quickly work, not enough Drs. You finish your work no OT.

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
if we look at EVERY industry in our society, its all the same,

frontline workers takes the brunt of the workload and crap
senior management sit on their fat ass and play politics,
medical, banking, govts, etc etc , all sama sama, big bully small

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went on to join NUH, my first red flag was the urgency they needed me to come over citing ‘shortage of staff’. I already told them, I am taking a 3 month break after years of working in Kl. They called every 3 weeks, asking me to consider coming now.

Fourth red flag. No paid overtime. Off day withheld at the whim and fancy, of the management. Slave is it? Work for free. Disgraceful labour laws and union.

In proper civilized countries with proper labour unions, this would have never happened. One extra minute of unlawful OT = lawsuits.

In Sinkieland, a totalitarian shithole where the PAP doggies sell you the scam of 'tripartism', this should not come as a surprise. :cool:

SwumXol.png

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Assuming the story is true ( no link or reference give) what happened to the unions that are supposed to fight for workers rights and welfare?
Are they too busy running businesses themselves in supermarkets, insurance, dentistry ect2?
You need a strong union in order for workers rights to be protected

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assuming the story is true ( no link or reference give) what happened to the unions that are supposed to fight for workers rights and welfare?
Are they too busy running businesses themselves in supermarkets, insurance, dentistry ect2?
Unions have been suppressed by PAP.
It's the management who should know that tired nurses and doctors are not good for the patients.

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actual fact in SG there is no union.. Union is just for show n wayang only...Everything in SG is about profits, even running a hospital is also about dollar n cents...
The big bosses n ministers will reap all the rewards, the frontliners get pittance!

Tun Tija

Alfrescian
Loyal
The story sound fishy.

Reports would be passed in Tagalog, Tamil...

Really meh. What report she refer to. If medical report with all the technical term is it so easy to write in Tagalog or Tamil? Maybe? But I am doubtful. If ask me to write a technical report in Malay I would find it difficult. Many technical terms are not available in Malay or even if available it is so obscure that only a scholar know it exist.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A bit of context, this issue in SG has been long on going. It’s not a new issue, not even 10 years back, it goes longer than that.
In short, am a former nurse from Malaysia, who worked in NUH 8 years back under the same hostile conditions. With no support, from the Nurse manager, hospital and HR.

When a senior returned from SGH to work back in KL, but with a bad neck disc degeneration due to the work load and nature. A surgeon commented ‘Wow if this was in the UK, the hospital can get sued under OSHA’.

You said, you are the top hospital in SG. Then why the chronic shortage of staff?

To say cowboy ward, form the staff’s to patients and nurse manager, is an understatement. Never have I seen a ward, with 3 nurse managers, 1 charge nurse, 1 Clinical Instructor and only the charge nurse is hands on. The rest Do Nothing.

And the ward manager, doesn’t even sit in the ward! Disappears to God knows where, after clocking in.

Third red flag is when the senior nurse of 10 years said to me, that she is trying to get a transfer out for 8 years to no vail. Because, for 10 years this ward has been short of staff. What has the hospital management and Matron, been doing?!

The patients
have no shame, in yelling F*ck you to the nurses. Thankfully never to me, as I already came in as senior nurse and do not take this rubbish from anyone.
The nurses, is another story. While there are hard working, eager to serve young ones. There is a deep bullying culture in nursing, there is even a research done on it- called the ‘teenage high school girl syndrome’.And in SG, it is worst because of the influx of foreign nurses.
The Pinoy’s gang together, Indians from India one group, Chinese from China one group and the minority of Singaporean + Malaysian nurses. Reports would be passed in Tagalog, Tamil, when its supposed to be in English.
To be honest, some countries nurses are really poorly skilled and poor in attitude.
Human resource asked me 3 times to not resign, or wait till they can get more senior nurses. They had 10 years for that!
Because there were no chairs for nurses to sit, why? Because they need to add more beds, so nurses desk & chair has was removed.
Even when I was in agony standing, the Nurse manager will drag the chair away from me and not allow me to see the Doctor, till I just walked out and went myself , without the stupid slip.
*I was not bonded, due to the senior entry level. To the young ones, stuck with the bond, feel sorry for you my fellow colleagues. But dialog and awareness, must go on.

A lot of rubbish! Our hospitals here follow all MOM regulations regarding overtime pay and working hours. If nurses are not paid properly, please alert your nearest RC. We'll follow up with MOM and MOH and take action against the hospital directors.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is the staffs leelee suffering ? Put it aside becas it just shows that patients will suffer as my uncle always said.

Eisenhut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey lj la! When she earn 3x1, she never complain??? Dun want work den fk back bolehland, many ceca, myanmar nurse wan come.

Anyway she dun know our union is NTUC? All cheap food she buy there are her union benefits

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
In proper civilized countries with proper labour unions, this would have never happened. One extra minute of unlawful OT = lawsuits.

In Sinkieland, a totalitarian shithole where the PAP doggies sell you the scam of 'tripartism', this should not come as a surprise. :cool:

SwumXol.png
When the labour floodgates are open. The working class are the ones that suffer the most

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

level 1
aWitchonthisEarth

OP·2 days ago·edited 1 day ago
Helpful
Wholesome
Silver

level 2
aWitchonthisEarth

OP·2 days ago

The patients
The nurses, is another story. While there are hard working, eager to serve young ones.

There is a deep bullying culture in nursing, there is even a research done on it- called the ‘teenage high school girl syndrome’. And in SG, it is worse because of the influx of foreign nurses.

The Pinoys gang together, Indians from India one group, Chinese from China one group and the minority of Singaporean + Malaysian nurses. Reports would be passed in Tagalog, Tamil, when its supposed to be in English.