• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mr Ho, 59, spent $150 to decorate Taxi for National Day!

limpeh

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20090807-159746.html

Were stickers a safety hazard?

HE wanted to share his patriotism and love for Singapore with others.

So with National Day coming up, taxi driver Henry Ho spent over $150 decking his taxi out in Singapore colours.

National flags flew from the car's roof, customised "Majulah Singapura" and "Happy 44th Birthday Singapore" stickers graced the bumper and bonnet, and flag decals danced on the windows and windscreen.

But two weeks after the 53-year-old first did up his taxi, he had to watch helplessly as the flags and decals he had decorated the car with were stripped off under orders from his company, Prime Car Rental&Taxi Services.

The company's general manager, Mr Tan Soon Chye, told The New Paper that the driver had ignored advice to "remove unsightly stickers" that had "obviously become a safety issue by obstructing the driver's view".

But Mr Ho, a taxi driver for 20 years, countered: "If they blocked my view I would have had accidents already.

"It's ridiculous. I was trying to do something good, but the company had to dampen my enthusiasm."

Mr Ho insisted he had made sure his blind spots were not covered by the decals and flags - which had been bought in Chinatown - and that the large sticker on the front windscreen was placed in such a way that it served as a sunshade.

In response, Mr Tan said that the company decided to remove the decorations because they were "unauthorised".

He insisted that removing them was in no way disrespectful,and added that the company had not thrown away the flags and decals, but had offered them back to Mr Ho after taking them off his vehicle.

The company's move to strip Mr Ho's taxi came after the taxi driver refused to heed an SMS that had been sent to him five days ago: "Mr Ho, please remove all the flags from your vehicle or we will remove them. Thanks."

But he refused to budge.

Custom-made clothes

Especially since he had also custom-made his working attire - including a printed collared shirt and bright red pants that will be ready by Sunday - for the special day on Sunday.

Explained Mr Ho, whose income of $2,000 to $3,000 a month supports his wife and stepdaughter: "I knew I would be working on National Day and missing the parade, but flying the flags on the car made me feel like I could be a part of it wherever I was.

"And I wanted others like me who won't have a chance to be in the parade to feel the same way."

Mr Ho claimed he was encouraged by passengers and friends,who enjoyed the decorations he had put up, and were surprised when they saw the bare taxi later.

Prime Taxi's general manager, however, said: "This was definitely overdone. We will not allow the displaying of stickers that will compromise the safety of the drivers or other road users.

"In addition, approval must be sought from the relevant authorities for displaying of decals especially on the windscreen."

Mr Ho said his first taxi makeover this year had been inspired by taxi drivers from other companies.

Said Ms Tammy Tan, vice president of Corporate Communications in Comfort DelGro: "As a Singapore-headquartered company, we certainly encourage taxi drivers to show their patriotism by putting up flag decals."

She noted, however, that such acts "must not be done to the extent that it becomes a safety issue".

So far, Comfort DelGro has not encountered drivers "who have gone overboard such that safety is compromised", she added.

Meanwhile, Mr Ho said he plans to protest.

He'll do that by not displaying advertisements on the sides of his vehicle, for which taxi drivers normally get $25 a month.

He said: "If I can't put my flags on the car, why let them advertise other commercial products there?

"Instead of earning money off advertisements, why not spend a little on flags to encourage others, especially children, to take pride in our nation?"

A police spokesman said there have not been cases where taxis were stopped for road safety issues involving obstructive decals.

- Hoe Pei Shan, newsroom intern

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Explained Mr Ho, whose income of $2,000 to $3,000 a month supports his wife and stepdaughter: "I knew I would be working on National Day and missing the parade, but flying the flags on the car made me feel like I could be a part of it wherever I was.

=> Wife = PRC PDMM?

A police spokesman said there have not been cases where taxis were stopped for road safety issues involving obstructive decals.

=> Lifetime ban if display CSJ's face?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But two weeks after the 53-year-old first did up his taxi, he had to watch helplessly as the flags and decals he had decorated the car with were stripped off under orders from his company, Prime Car Rental&Taxi Services.

The company's general manager, Mr Tan Soon Chye, told The New Paper that the driver had ignored advice to "remove unsightly stickers" that had "obviously become a safety issue by obstructing the driver's view".

=> Kudos, Mr Tan!

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal

=>

=> Lifetime ban if display CSJ's face?

Maybe if cabby put up the old man's face, he will be rewarded? Stupid cabby!