• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MPee : Joo Chiat is now less sleazy

G

Ginchiyo Tachibana

Apr 19, 2010
Joo Chiat is now less sleazy

<!-- by line --> By Cai Haoxiang

<!-- end left side bar -->
ln-sg-joo.jpg

The 'hundreds' of women who used to walk the street at night have fallen to about 40 to 50, according to the area's MP Chan Soo Sen. -- PHOTO: NP

THE sleaze in Joo Chiat has shrivelled.
The 'hundreds' of women who used to walk the street at night have fallen to about 40 to 50, according to the area's MP Chan Soo Sen. 'I make it a point to look at (the situation) every week and have a rough count,' he told reporters on Monday. The vice problem is now confined to a 50m stretch along Joo Chiat Road, he added, and more family-oriented and lifestyle businesses such as food, fashion, advertising, and souvenirs have popped up in the neighbourhood in the last couple of years.

The MP was briefing reporters on the improvements made to the heritage area, ahead of the May 9 ministerial walkabout by Law Minister K. Shanmugam. In 2005, he said, 'hundreds' of women solicited customers along a 1.3km stretch of Joo Chiat Road. Now, the road is quieter and he sees 40 to 50 women on the street when he drives or walks in the area at night. Sleaze was a political issue in the intense campaign for Joo Chiat during the 2006 General Election. Mr Chan won 65 per cent of the 18,806 valid votes against Workers' Party veteran Tan Bin Seng. Asked whether he will contest in the next general election, Mr Chan said the decision is up to the leaders of the People's Action Party: 'If they want to field me, I will continue to try and do my best till the last day.'

Read the full story in Tuesday's edition of The Straits Times.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or if these out-of-touch MPs make some statements from their ivory towers that is not reflective of the actual situation on the ground but put them on good light, IT IS election time soon.

It is very obvious this MP dared not walk the streets now after the incident and do not know(or refuse to know) the actual situation.

Anyone can see for themselves whenever a MP/minister visit an area, say wet market, the pporlumpas will close the market day before and scrub every inch clean where the MP/minister is being led like dog through the route. Thereafter proclaim a excellent living standard build for the citizens. Either the MP/minister is daft or refuse to know the actual situation or just a hypocrite ?

ILaidLeiaB4Solo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apr 19, 2010
Joo Chiat is now less sleazy

<!-- by line --> By Cai Haoxiang

<!-- end left side bar -->
ln-sg-joo.jpg

The 'hundreds' of women who used to walk the street at night have fallen to about 40 to 50, according to the area's MP Chan Soo Sen. -- PHOTO: NP

THE sleaze in Joo Chiat has shrivelled.
The 'hundreds' of women who used to walk the street at night have fallen to about 40 to 50, according to the area's MP Chan Soo Sen. 'I make it a point to look at (the situation) every week and have a rough count,' he told reporters on Monday. The vice problem is now confined to a 50m stretch along Joo Chiat Road, he added, and more family-oriented and lifestyle businesses such as food, fashion, advertising, and souvenirs have popped up in the neighbourhood in the last couple of years.

The MP was briefing reporters on the improvements made to the heritage area, ahead of the May 9 ministerial walkabout by Law Minister K. Shanmugam. In 2005, he said, 'hundreds' of women solicited customers along a 1.3km stretch of Joo Chiat Road. Now, the road is quieter and he sees 40 to 50 women on the street when he drives or walks in the area at night. Sleaze was a political issue in the intense campaign for Joo Chiat during the 2006 General Election. Mr Chan won 65 per cent of the 18,806 valid votes against Workers' Party veteran Tan Bin Seng. Asked whether he will contest in the next general election, Mr Chan said the decision is up to the leaders of the People's Action Party: 'If they want to field me, I will continue to try and do my best till the last day.'

Read the full story in Tuesday's edition of The Straits Times.

ah.....now i know who the person in the breadtalk picture is

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you that this bloody MP is talking cock.

Only 40-50 women? Has he been walking around at night? EVERY night can easily find HUNDREDS of walking and working ladies there OK.

Walk 5 minutes away to Paramount Shopping Center and you can find hundreds MORE of SLEAZY pinoys that never seemed to be arrested (BECAUSE THEY SERVE INDIANS I WAS TOLD AND THE PRCs DON'T).

Or if these out-of-touch MPs make some statements from their ivory towers that is not reflective of the actual situation on the ground but put them on good light, IT IS election time soon.

It is very obvious this MP dared not walk the streets now after the incident and do not know(or refuse to know) the actual situation.

Anyone can see for themselves whenever a MP/minister visit an area, say wet market, the pporlumpas will close the market day before and scrub every inch clean where the MP/minister is being led like dog through the route. Thereafter proclaim a excellent living standard build for the citizens. Either the MP/minister is daft or refuse to know the actual situation or just a hypocrite ?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
This MP also jjoining int he fun! I haven't been there for so many years, but he goes every week.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reading in-betqween the lines in the report, I tend to think this MP is actually complaining.

In his mind is probably :
"Shit, we (aka MIW) let in thousands of talents daily. Surely there must be hundreds supposed to walk the streets every night. KNN I can only find 40-50and lousier ones. These fxxking peasants must have came earlier and grabbed the good ones. Next time must tell those RC porlumpas to finish whatever craps they want me to do like visiting old folks, kissing babies, sweep the floor for photographers...etc earlier and let me go so that I can come earlier to grab the better ones. KNN "

T

Tadakatsu Honda

Joo Chiat cleans up sleazy image

Joo Chiat cleans up sleazy image

By Joanne Chan |
Posted: 19 April 2010 1817 hrs
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="260"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" width="20"></td> <td align="right" width="240">
php0qQN9r.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="60" valign="top"></td> <td class="update" height="80" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="138">Photos </td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="47">1 of 1</td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" onclick="Prev();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" height="15" width="18" type="image"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="19"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" onclick="Play()" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" height="15" width="19" type="image"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " onclick="Next();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" height="15" width="18" type="image"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

Joo Chiat shophouses
</td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td class="update"></td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

SINGAPORE : Joo Chiat, once infamous for a stretch of road where prostitutes openly solicited, has now flushed out most of its sleaze. MP Chan Soo Sen said this ahead of a ministerial visit by Law Minister K Shanmugam next month.

Joo Chiat wants to be known for its rich Peranakan heritage, best seen in the old shophouses that line its streets. But its history had been overshadowed by a stretch of road, which gained a reputation as a hotspot for prostitutes.

Back in 2005, Joo Chiat Road was populated by many budget hotels, massage parlours and pubs and this caused great distress to residents who were often separated by just a small alley. Complaints about loud noises and unfavourable activities in the back lane led to the installation of lights in 2008, and the situation has since improved. Other efforts to clean up the area included an appeal to the police to stop the number of licences handed out to such establishments.

A neighbourhood watch group was also formed to keep a lookout for places that broke the law. And these have paid off, as the stretch of road where prostitutes would solicit has also been reduced from 800 metres to 50 metres. The pubs and massage parlours have also given way to family restaurants and art galleries. In 2005, there were more than 40 pubs and 30 massage parlours in that area. These dropped to 30 pubs and fewer than 5 massage places in 2008.

Chan Soo Sen, MP for Joo Chiat, said: "It will make more economic sense for the landlord to rent our their premises to businesses that can give them better returns, rather than to businesses that have to get a police licence, and who are observed regularly by the community. So I'm confident that over time, things will improve further."

Asked if he plans to stand in the next General Election, due by February 2012, Mr Chan said he would like to continue, but this has to be decided by his party, the People's Action Party. He added: "The Joo Chiat community has given me their support in the last general election. It is my duty to serve them loyally and with dedication, till the last day of my term, whatever that term may be." Mr Chan has served two terms as an MP for Joo Chiat, and prior to that, one term in East Coast.

Meanwhile, the work to improve the image of Joo Chiat continues, with the constituency working closely with the Peranakan and Eurasian Associations to highlight its food and culture. There are also plans to improve the old infrastructure of the area, such as the drainage system, and also to promote active aging among senior citizens.

- CNA/al