• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More youths puffing illegal cigs

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_383682.html

More youths puffing illegal cigs
By Mavis Toh

In-SG-ANTISMOKE.jpg

Singapore Customs released figures of underage youths caught smoking illegal cigarettes at its 2009 World No Tobacco Day roadshow at Bugis Junction. --ST PHOTO: LIM WUI LIANG

THE allure could be its cheaper cost.
Illegal cigarettes - where no taxes are paid and which are smuggled in - could be half the price of duty-paid smokes.

That could explain why more people below age 18 are puffing on contraband cigarettes. Last year, 656 youths were busted, up from 649 in 2007.

In the first four months of this year, 153 youths have been nabbed.

There has also been a spike in the number of underage youths caught peddling illegal cigarettes - from two in 2007 to 11 last year. In the first four months of this year, two were caught.

These figures were released by Singapore Customs at its 2009 World No Tobacco Day roadshow at Bugis Junction on Saturday.

'The prevalence of youth caught with illegal cigarettes remains a concern. Not just because cigarettes are harmful, underage youth caught with them are also committing serious Customs offences,' said a Customs spokesman.

Read the full report in The Sunday Times.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
youth is when people make a lot of mistakes

but the mistake of picking up smoking is one that is very difficult to undo

you see, the tobacco companies get you hooked on NICOTINE

tobacco is not addictive, NICOTINE is

once hooked, very difficult to give up

youth think smoking is cool, rebellious

then later pay with emphysema, lung cancer, etc

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
youth is when people make a lot of mistakes

but the mistake of picking up smoking is one that is very difficult to undo

you see, the tobacco companies get you hooked on NICOTINE

tobacco is not addictive, NICOTINE is

That depend on the individual.

I used to be a daily smoker but have downgraded to causal smoker in recent years - my last cigs was during last year reservists and I never feel like smoking since then.

I started smoking at 18 yrs old, but believe it or not, I never feel addicted to cigs. I used to smoke daily but can go for days / weeks without smoking too.

Cigs nowadays every expensive, better don't smoke.
Last year I buy marlboro menthol around $12. now how much?