• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More Small Businesses Closing Down

jw5

Loyal
I tend to believe PASSION is the key ingredient for a successful business. Successful startups can happen without the criteria you listed, which often is more an inertia than not.
Agree that passion is another important criteria.
But don't agree that the criteria I listed may not be required if passion is present.
Just my opinion. :smile:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree that passion is another important criteria.
But don't agree that the criteria I listed may not be required if passion is present.
Just my opinion. :smile:

Really don't agree.. go research.. there are lots of real life stories out there about people who started with nothing. Passion is not just another criteria.. it is THE first and foremost, and perhaps the only needed criteria. The rest are peripheral.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. A startup must usually go through lots of downs initially, such as working 12-16 hour days, extreme tight cashflow, high competition from established companies, difficulty in employing staff (S'poreans only want to work in big MNCs which promise multi-month bonuses and signing-on fees), burnt Sundays, and many other challenges. Without passion, the entrepreuner will not be able to go through the difficult early phase. People who only work comfortable hours and for good pay will never be able to tahan such working conditions.

Not to splash cold water. Small companies really had many disadvantage to start up in here. Market not big enough, big MNCs around grabbing the biz, high rental cost. In fact now MNC themselves had a hard time substaining this tough period.:rolleyes:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really don't agree.. go research.. there are lots of real life stories out there about people who started with nothing. Passion is not just another criteria.. it is THE first and foremost, and perhaps the only needed criteria. The rest are peripheral.

Passion is needed, but reality can be very harsh :biggrin:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. Passion can overcome harsh reality, not spare cash, paper biz plans and experience. Passion is in the person, the rest are but tools

Actually I do agree with you that Passion is the utmost importance. Passion is for people who have money to sustain their passion, for people without money to put bread on the table for their family, passion will probably have to take a backseat. :p