• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MOM, why not reveal the employment rate of Singapore citizens?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Again the Ministry of Manpower is obfuscating the employment statistics by hiding the employment rate of citizens together with PRs under "Residents".

CRIEnglish.com, 30 Nov 2012
Singapore's employment rate has recorded a new high of 66.6 percent, up from the 66.1 percent last year, according to a report released by Ministry of Manpower on Friday.
According to the report, named "Singapore Workforce, 2012", the government attributed the increase to "the strong employment creation and the rise in labor force participation among women and older residents".
In particular, 64.0 percent of residents aged 55 to 64 were employed in 2012, higher than 61.2 percent in 2011. The improvement of employment rate for older residents were mainly due to the government's measures to improve the employability of older residents such as the implementation of the re-employment legislation.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Older residents, does that include those in the cemeteries, Columbarium & the old age home? ha ha ha

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
[
According to the report, named "Singapore Workforce, 2012", the government attributed the increase to "the strong employment creation and the rise in labor force participation among women and older residents".

This is the easy part. Restricting the supply of low wage transient workforce for jobs under S$1,700 p.m.

How about the rest of the economy? More cabbies? Are all of them structurally unemployed (aka their fault for not learning new tricks)? Is it conspiracy theory to say they are systematically displaced by cunning foreigners?

The truth is probably in between. Singapore under PAP is not producing enough good jobs for its people in the last few years, and had foolishly opened the floodgates for some of these to be taken up by foreigners in the early years of Loong's reign.

Sentinel

Alfrescian
Loyal
The truth is probably in between. Singapore under PAP is not producing enough good jobs for its people in the last few years, and had foolishly opened the floodgates for some of these to be taken up by foreigners in the early years of Loong's reign.

Well said. Truth is always simple.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS, you are barking up wrong tree. The more important question is how many people are unemployed if the definition of unemployment is expanded to include who cannot find job AFTER 7 days. Also what is the percent of underemployment?

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
All this assumes that the govt has any real interest in knowing the unemployment rate of Singaporeans. The general unemployment rate is derived through the Labour Force Survey, which is a sample survey of people who are interviewed. It is the same tool used virtually all over the world. I have not known a single person who has ever been interviewed.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, you are barking up wrong tree. The more important question is how many people are unemployed if the definition of unemployment is expanded to include who cannot find job AFTER 7 days. Also what is the percent of underemployment?

jobless data is out of date. in US, every Thursday will release jobless claims data.

so what if u r jobless? maybe u r a day trader? or small business owner without even register their business and they may even employ some workers to work for them. some can earn their keep without even land themselves a job and even create jobs. i know some with a few properties collecting rental more than 10k a mth, so are they jobless?

don't tell people how many jobs u created or employed, it may not even benefit our own people. should give data on how many need help due to unable to generate incomes. for example jobless claim data in US. this is the group of people we should help them and study why are the jobless. in sg, we should give more help including financially to all these people, than to massage those employment data to hide the truth. uniquely useless sinkie pap style.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
The basic question is how many locals are out of work and how many are underpaid doing work that don't match their skillset and experience.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a friend, an engineer, in his 30s who lost his job 3 years ago and failed to secure another job despite sending out dozens of CVs and applications. Finally earlier this year he emailed me that he had re-located, to Armenia, where he is working in the oil & gas sector. He did not sound happy at all. Due to force of circumstances he had to leave S'pore and accept a job in a very foreign land. And I got the impression that the salary and perks he was getting was not attractive at all.

People have to do what they have to do. Spurned by their own country that prefers FTs, some are forced to now re-locate to the other side of the globe.

SecurityGUARD

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a friend, an engineer, in his 30s who lost his job 3 years ago and failed to secure another job despite sending out dozens of CVs and applications. Finally earlier this year he emailed me that he had re-located, to Armenia, where he is working in the oil & gas sector. He did not sound happy at all. Due to force of circumstances he had to leave S'pore and accept a job in a very foreign land. And I got the impression that the salary and perks he was getting was not attractive at all.

People have to do what they have to do. Spurned by their own country that prefers FTs, some are forced to now re-locate to the other side of the globe.

This is now the norm in Sinkiepoor rather than the exception. Frankly, the FTs are screwing our jobs and who is to blame for all this nonsense? You know and I know...sigh.

GOONDUSAMI

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Again the Ministry of Manpower is obfuscating the employment statistics by hiding the employment rate of citizens together with PRs under "Residents".

CRIEnglish.com, 30 Nov 2012
Singapore's employment rate has recorded a new high of 66.6 percent, up from the 66.1 percent last year, according to a report released by Ministry of Manpower on Friday.
In particular, 64.0 percent of residents aged 55 to 64 were employed in 2012, higher than 61.2 percent in 2011. The improvement of employment rate for older residents were mainly due to the government's measures to improve the employability of older residents such as the implementation of the re-employment legislation.

Great job by PAP! We must be thankful. Anyone who doubt this great work done by our rulers should go to Spain to look for work!

GOONDUSAMI

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

He was never spurned. He is plainly incompetent.

GOONDUSAMI

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is now the norm in Sinkiepoor rather than the exception. Frankly, the FTs are screwing our jobs and who is to blame for all this nonsense? You know and I know...sigh.

The FTs have contributed to Sinkieland greatly. Sinkies are screwing themselves because they are lazy, unlike the Fts.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unemployment is Singaporeans who are able at the regular working age band and not like non-disher wash geng king LKY is in reality double digit and for underemployment at spain levels. No need to go Spain. That is why there are so many who are dying to be hired in the PAP brigade- they are jobless and underemployed. Not to say they have much skills.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great job by PAP! We must be thankful. Anyone who doubt this great work done by our rulers should go to Spain to look for work!

Youth unemployment in Spain is 50%. All your friends happily employed before you took on this silly IB gig?

Last edited: