• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minister:"We are a city. We are not a country."

R

redlightmeansgo

In a city there are no stayers and quitters, everyone's just a sojourner.

We come, we shit, we conquer, that's a fact of life.

Since we are still merely slouching towards a democratic ideal, we haven't really evolved and arrived as a people. So when there's a diaspora of Sinkies, it's merely a natural progression of historical events.

We have no unity as such, only a corporate common purpose.

You scratch my back, I scratch yours, and when the one night stand is over, stay for what? Siao!

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like Singaporeans were conned into serving NS (some even lost their lives in the process) to protect a non-existent country. I remembered LKY quoting "... some nations had greatness thrust upon them" and that Singapore is one such example. Wonder if the whole PAP can be sued for misrepresentation?

Anyway, I have discovered long ago that it is pointless to regard Singapore as your country. Doing this will only cause you more heartache and the blame must be laid at PAP's door. I am fortunate that I realised this before I became unwanted and unloved by this so-called "country".

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

His observation of the beast is correct, his conclusions and justifications biased and off. I can name any number of cities in both the US and UK where there has been political see sawing between democrats and republicans and in the UK between liberals, conservatives and the labor party.

The political beast in Singapore is more that of a city stripping out all the valid issues which you have raised and the opposition forgets it at its peril.

Local issues matter, competence in governing your estate matters. In a city versus a rural area, that difference is clear.

Issues which concern cities are issues which usually do not concern rural voters, the split in the UK over Fox hunting comes to mine.

Conservatism versus liberalism, In the US rural areas are more conservative think red neck whereas cities more liberal and tolerant. Singapore is interesting in that respect why are we not more liberal on issues non political , gay rights, workers rights ?

Organization, and campaigning. Again very different in nature with rural voters more dependent on seeing the candidates away from traditional media settings and events. Singapore interestingly enough requires a mix of the two.

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
SF / NY are no different to some constituencies where for decades had been held by the same parties because of the demographic profile of voters who are either decidedly conservative/capitalist or liberal/labour etc. Bryan Caplan would have been more accurate if he had realised that SF/NY are no different to such constitutencies that have a strong bent to a particular political philosophy and compared apples with apples.

I therefore argue that the observation is wrong. NY/SF in no way functions as a country. To put it another way, Voters in Australia will vote Labour for Federal but Liberal for State and vice versa. Looks like the voters are much smarter than Shanmugam or Bryan Caplan because Aussie voters can tell the difference between function of a state and that of a country and not to mention the age risk adage of not putting all their eggs in one basket.

Many years ago, old man first raised the spectre of city-states failing to survive citing history. Primarily because, they can't go beyond their original function on which they were founded. He also raised the example of Vatican not because of its hinterland of faithfull stretching around the world from the Philippines to Peru but was more keen on Papacy mode of survive. He was determkined to make sure that Singapore evolves into a country and remains as such.

Now his cabinet colleague has suddenly decided to become a city for convenience.

Dear Scroobal

His observation of the beast is correct, his conclusions and justifications biased and off. I can name any number of cities in both the US and UK where there has been political see sawing between democrats and republicans and in the UK between liberals, conservatives and the labor party.

The political beast in Singapore is more that of a city stripping out all the valid issues which you have raised and the opposition forgets it at its peril.

Local issues matter, competence in governing your estate matters. In a city versus a rural area, that difference is clear.

Issues which concern cities are issues which usually do not concern rural voters, the split in the UK over Fox hunting comes to mine.

Conservatism versus liberalism, In the US rural areas are more conservative think red neck whereas cities more liberal and tolerant. Singapore is interesting in that respect why are we not more liberal on issues non political , gay rights, workers rights ?

Organization, and campaigning. Again very different in nature with rural voters more dependent on seeing the candidates away from traditional media settings and events. Singapore interestingly enough requires a mix of the two.

Locke

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
can he be charged for treason for saying spore is a city but not a country?

Singapore is a city in India or China?

We fought so hard to be a country - National Day after National Day everybody feels proud of independence day.

Suddenly Singapore is just a city - not even a city state? So sad. So where is our country? Malaysia?

Which layman will understand so cheem definition of a country becoming a city? Everybody will need to go back to Geograph class.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bastard is insulting us and himself.
It's no different from saying :

"This is where most people make a mistake. … I have tried to explain that I am different. I'm a faggot. I'm not not a real man.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Henceforth, 9th August will be renamed City Day rather than National Day. National Day Parade will be called City Day Parade !!

PLEASE BE CLEAR AND BEAR THIS IN MIND. WE ARE A CITY NOT A COUNTRY/NATION.

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
pls help em by directing them to proper care

axjmvs.jpg

LOL upZZ..........................

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never mind that the last and current NYC mayors are both republicans. Guilani and bloomberg. NY city council members are voted by NYC residents of the 5 clearly marked buroughs. Most singaporeans dont even get to vote and voting districts are mandated to favour the PAP. This minister is an ASS