• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minimum wage in Singapore? Not a good idea for consumers!

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's funny how so many people are screaming out for minimum wage in Singapore.
I would imagine how when services become more expensive, prices of our food and items will become so pricey and our standard of living will increase further.

Our current progressive wage model is only implemented into certain sectors, not across the whole country into all sectors. Which means that only certain things will become more expensive. A minimum wage across all sectors will put a higher price tag on everything and increase our high standard of living further!

Why pay more when you can pay less? What do you think?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2014/05/06/seattle-will-hurt-local-economy-with-15-an-hour-minimum-wage/

"Raising the minimum wage adds no money into the local economy; it only redistributes money among people who are already part of the economy. Low wage workers will have more money to spend; business owners and customers of those businesses will have less to spend by an amount equal to the increase in wages. However, while this is an even trade of money from one group to another, one specific source of money actually shrinks."

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
totally agree with you PAP scum.
i think minimum wages is not good.
minimum GST is better for people like you and it shall be increased to 10% GST in order for PAP to win more votes

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
totally agree with you PAP scum.
i think minimum wages is not good.
minimum GST is better for people like you and it shall be increased to 10% GST in order for PAP to win more votes

Wow that's a surprise! You're agreeing with a scum. I guess it takes one to know one. :smile:
GST already has a cap across all items and our taxes is after all one of the lowest in the world. Nobody's complaining.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A minimum wage is never a good idea in any country as it means that idiots will end up being paid far more than they deserve.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A minimum wage is never a good idea in any country as it means that idiots will end up being paid far more than they deserve.

Well said... This is why idiots wanted government to implement minimum wages... That will benefit them...:biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

by idiots u mean the ones getting paid millions and producing jackshit or the ones making $1000 a month doing a hard day's work?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
by idiots u mean the ones getting paid millions and producing jackshit or the ones making $1000 a month doing a hard day's work?

In this politically correct world we live in now, the top guys are actually being underpaid.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP doesn't want minimum wage because in their opinion, slaves (Singaporeans) cannot earn ANY wages, only a megre allowance. Slaves must always remain as slaves, for PAP monopoly and oppression that is.
Agree?

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
singaporean.....ah singaporean u really like a frog in a well.

i was born and lived and work there for 36 years and u say singapore tax is the "lowest"???
what the use of "lowest tax" when salary is even lower then the lowest! and every year everything things goes UP but your salary stay the same or up by $20 to $50 infact u are poorer then the previous year!.
your utility bills your healthcare and even food are very expensive!(for the food $3.50 but the portion is so small), u still have to pay for your children education too right.

DO u kow in Australia as u know they have mininum wages(they get 3X or 4X higer salary what u get in singapore) and high tax.
many singaporean failed to see or dont want to know that those normal workers their tax is normal but those who are high earners like doctors, judges,CEO, ministers these group of high paid earner will be tax very high. thus we all get real benefits like FREE healthcare, FREE education and many more! and even our utility bills is far cheaper too for example everyday 24hrs i on my heater during cold days and during hot days i on aircon and my bill is $300+a month!(the only time i off my aircon or heater when i go holiday!)
and after i install solar power on the roof my bill was cut to half! (u try on aircon 24hrs in singapore for one month and tell me how much is the bill)

well from what i see singapore will never implement mininum wages because it is not good for the companies and goverment there.
u must understand all this while singapore survive by attracting the cheapest labours and companies love it! and because of that many companies set their company in sg because of super cheap workers and safe enviroment both companies and gahmen the one who benefits oh ya plus the foreigner workers once they sent their salaries back home the money will be 3X to 4X after the exchange rate! they only have to work 10 years to 15 years in sg and they able to retire gracefully back home with afew houses and land!

guess who are the one who lose out in this?????
simple answer local born sg :smile:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

i was born and lived and work there for 36 years and u say singapore tax is the "lowest"???
what the use of "lowest tax" when salary is even lower then the lowest! and every year everything things goes UP but your salary stay the same or up by $20 to $50 infact u are poorer then the previous year!.
your utility bills your healthcare and even food are very expensive!(for the food $3.50 but the portion is so small), u still have to pay for your children education too right.

DO u kow in Australia as u know they have mininum wages(they get 3X or 4X higer salary what u get in singapore) and high tax.
many singaporean failed to see or dont want to know that those normal workers their tax is normal but those who are high earners like doctors, judges,CEO, ministers these group of high paid earner will be tax very high. thus we all get real benefits like FREE healthcare, FREE education and many more! and even our utility bills is far cheaper too for example everyday 24hrs i on my heater during cold days and during hot days i on aircon and my bill is $300+a month!(the only time i off my aircon or heater when i go holiday!)
and after i install solar power on the roof my bill was cut to half! (u try on aircon 24hrs in singapore for one month and tell me how much is the bill)

well from what i see singapore will never implement mininum wages because it is not good for the companies and goverment there.
u must understand all this while singapore survive by attracting the cheapest labours and companies love it! and because of that many companies set their company in sg because of super cheap workers and safe enviroment both companies and gahmen the one who benefits oh ya plus the foreigner workers once they sent their salaries back home the money will be 3X to 4X after the exchange rate! they only have to work 10 years to 15 years in sg and they able to retire gracefully back home with afew houses and land!

The crux is not who lose out, but who benefits the most. :cautious:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do you know that Australia attracts hundreds of thousands of immigrants a year. Most are wealthy professionals or retirees. And they bring in maybe a million $ each say. That translate into a billion for every thousand, ten billion for every ten thousand, a hundred billion aud$ every year. Except this year due to covid. That was how australia avouds recession.

And all these excludes the tens of 5housands of overseas students who pay full fees into the education system. Plus their dad who buy them homes and sends money for monthly spending.

Cost of producing electricity in Australia is cheap due to abundance of coal.the cheapest form of energy but polluting.plus solar/battery storage is now entirely used in southern Australia power grid if I am not mistaken.

PAP is using Australia as a example to boost its economy wrt immigrants. Unfortunately, not msny actually live on the island after getting the passport. They needed sinkie passport as it's easy to get to the west for businesses or travel.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let’s not talk about minimum wages in a vacuum

let’s be specific

where there is a minimum or certain amount needed for daily survival , that’s where minimum wages is certainly needed ..and Sinkieland does comes under this since there is no escaping the minimum amount needed for your survival , the amount you need to service for your housing , cloth and feed yourself - that’s the minimum wage that should be legally mandated

whereas in Malusia for instance you will always have the option to balek kampong and live in your ancestral home where your grandpa and his grandpa lived , grow your veggies and catch fishes for cooking and wear the same sarong for a week and nobody cares , the minimum required for your survival would be far less than a minimum earned by even illegal labourer , hence the question of minimum wages may not be that important

but in the context of sinkiland , minimum wages must be set since we do need a minimum amount of dollars even if we sit in our HDB and do nothing else because the very HDB itself is time based , meaning you have to earn a minimum sum to pay for the the 99 years lease , which is basically rental ...of course , the question of capital gain on your HDB arises but that is not liquidity since it would be locked under CPF

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let’s not talk about minimum wages in a vacuum

let’s be specific

where there is a minimum or certain amount needed for daily survival , that’s where minimum wages is certainly needed ..and Sinkieland does comes under this since there is no escaping the minimum amount needed for your survival , the amount you need to service for your housing , cloth and feed yourself - that’s the minimum wage that should be legally mandated

whereas in Malusia for instance you will always have the option to balek kampong and live in your ancestral home where your grandpa and his grandpa lived , grow your veggies and catch fishes for cooking and wear the same sarong for a week and nobody cares , the minimum required for your survival would be far less than a minimum earned by even illegal labourer , hence the question of minimum wages may not be that important

but in the context of sinkiland , minimum wages must be set since we do need a minimum amount of dollars even if we sit in our HDB and do nothing else because the very HDB itself is time based , meaning you have to earn a minimum sum to pay for the the 99 years lease , which is basically rental ...of course , the question of capital gain on your HDB arises but that is not liquidity since it would be locked under CPF
There is no need for minimum wage if cheap foreign labour is barred ftom the economy. Wages will automatically move up. And price increase easily absorbed.

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know that Australia attracts hundreds of thousands of immigrants a year. Most are wealthy professionals or retirees. And they bring in maybe a million $ each say. That translate into a billion for every thousand, ten billion for every ten thousand, a hundred billion aud$ every year. Except this year due to covid. That was how australia avouds recession.

And all these excludes the tens of 5housands of overseas students who pay full fees into the education system. Plus their dad who buy them homes and sends money for monthly spending.

Cost of producing electricity in Australia is cheap due to abundance of coal.the cheapest form of energy but polluting.plus solar/battery storage is now entirely used in southern Australia power grid if I am not mistaken.

PAP is using Australia as a example to boost its economy wrt immigrants. Unfortunately, not msny actually live on the island after getting the passport. They needed sinkie passport as it's easy to get to the west for businesses or travel.

the different between Australia and Singapore is that Australia don’t suck their citizen to make money but Singapore suck their citisen dry.

Australia got minimum wages which mean ONLY professional able to get jobs and it is controlled in Australia so that there always jobs for the local.
While in Singapore as long as a “professional” with fake cert willing to take low salary and work long hours they are in demand in Singapore.

in Australia foreign students must pay full school fees while in Singapore get foreign students FREE education and daily expenses.

my house in Singapore is a 5 room hdb and I rarely use aircon maybe in a year I use less then 5 time in my master bedroom for afew hours that it. Everyday I use fan and the bill is more expensive.

Many foreigners they eventually use Singapore as a springboard because they are street smart and can see how super expensive to live in Singapore. And some countries even after they renounced their original country they can apply back!!! Once the time is ripe they renounce their Sg citizenship and sell off their hdb they can retire back in their original country like a king! Or migrate to a better country like Australia!

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lol the hard fact is singapore gahmen don’t want minimum wages lah.
Just accept it it will never happen.

after 50 years under this gahmen u still don’t know their greed ah whatever they do or empliment is all to their (gahmen) benefits!!!!!
and NEVER for the people!!!

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lol the hard fact is singapore gahmen don’t want minimum wages lah.
Just accept it it will never happen.

after 50 years under this gahmen u still don’t know their greed ah whatever they do or empliment is all to their (gahmen) benefits!!!!!
and NEVER for the people!!!

You can never ever have a minimum wage system in Singapore as long as you continue to take in foreigners working as domestic maids and construction workers and paying them pittance.

The only winner in this equation is the gahmen where they collect the respective foreign worker levies.