• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ming Yi under fire again for $200,000 gala dinner

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
400afp_mingyi1.jpg

By Kai Fong – December 2nd, 2010
Email Facebook Twitter Print
Venerable Ming Yi

Barely three months after his release from prison, Reverend Ming Yi is embroiled in a fresh controversy, this time regarding a ceremonial dinner reported to have cost $200,000.

Organised by the Foo Hai Chan Monastery in Geylang, the $1,000-a-table dinner at the Pan Pacific Hotel was held on Nov 21 to mark Venerable Ming Yi’s 20 years of service as abbot of the temple.

The gala dinner has sparked off an emotional debate among Buddhists, reported The Straits Times.

Devotees of the said monastery called the celebration a sheng zuo dian li, or “rise to the power ceremony”; they said they wanted to celebrate Ven Ming Yi’s return to the temple.

But detractors asked if it was appropriate for the monk to turn the spotlight on himself — and so soon after his release from prison in September.

In addition, monastery records show that the 48-year-old monk’s 20th year of service comes about only in 2012.

Mr Lim Bock Guan, head of the Singapore Buddhist Lodge, told the same paper he had never heard of a monk being honoured for his service with a $1,000-a-table dinner in a top hotel.

The dinner was attended by monks from Malaysia and Hong Kong, but senior Buddhists in Singapore were noticeably absent although they had been invited.

The Buddhist Federation, the top Buddhist authority in Singapore, now wants Ming Yi to step forward and be judged by his fellow monks for crimes that landed him in jail earlier this year. Last October, the former head of Ren Ci was convicted of charges that included falsifying accounts and misappropriating funds.

For this to happen, though, Ming Yi has to step up voluntarily.

If he does, a disciplinary committee will be set up. It will be the first time that the Buddhist community here will have a panel of monks in a position to demote or defrock one of their own.

When asked for thoughts of the federation’s move, the chief disciple of Ven Wu Feng, the monk who had presided over Ming Yi’s ordination in 1984, said it was unlikely that Ming Yi would turn himself in, although “it is what he should do.”

“He’s climbed too far up, and now he has a long way to fall,” said the nun who declined to be named.

knn,$200K,can feed a lot of those patient at Ren Ci Hospital for quite awhile.
not fit to be a monk. :mad:

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does not seem like Ren Ci is any need of money to help the poor since they have $200,000 to spare.

Fucking dumb. I doubt Ren Ci will get a single penny of donation moving forward.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read the news that they were having a $1000/table meal to celebrate his premature 20th anniversary. Were they having "buddha jumped over the wall" feast or abalone soaked in sharkfins soup meal? Seemed like a presidential indulgence for everyone who adore him while people still donate monies to them based on all the tears from the poor and needy - ironically speaking.

This monk will never ever want to humble himself thinking he is part of PAP "elite" group. Self-glorifying even in crime. Oh I remember a peanut cost $600K is chicken feet too. I am speechless about all these so-called million dollars charity organisations.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sheer extravagance! $200,000.00 can be used for many more worthier causes considering that Ming Yi is a monk who is also a vegetarian.Wtf $1,000.00 table! Despite his public statement that he is a modern monk with fine tastes, he appears to be over-indulging once again.His “rise to the power ceremony” is politically incorrect and wanton coming so soon after his release from Changi Resort. He just love to be in the limelight enjoying all the adulation and idol-worshipping. What a modern monk indeed!:rolleyes:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He's a special monk. Reportedly goes out in the evenings with a wig on. No idea to where or with whom. But, a wig? That's surreptitious behavior for a monk.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He's a special monk. Reportedly goes out in the evenings with a wig on. No idea to where or with whom. But, a wig? That's surreptitious behavior for a monk.

lucky that christains " pestors " still got to keep their hair , go to nightclub dont need to wear wig .

by the way , i have a singaporean friend who open ago-go boys bar in bangkok spotted him there with a wig ..when he told me, i dont believe him ...:(

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lucky that christains " pestors " still got to keep their hair , go to nightclub dont need to wear wig .

by the way , i have a singaporean friend who open ago-go boys bar in bangkok spotted him there with a wig ..when he told me, i dont believe him ...:(

That is why I rather be a pastor than a monk. Pastor chiong no one knows unless your church members are straying and you meet them there. Monks from far, cover blown already. Ming Yi's cousin disclosed the info to me and there is no reason for him to sabo his cousin coz they enjoy a cordial relationship. End of the day, religious leaders are also human beings.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why I rather be a pastor than a monk. Pastor chiong no one knows unless your church members are straying and you meet them there. Monks from far, cover blown already. Ming Yi's cousin disclosed the info to me and there is no reason for him to sabo his cousin coz they enjoy a cordial relationship. End of the day, religious leaders are also human beings.

Yep but no one is forcing him to be a monk. He can be a lay Buddhist teacher and still get to have a gay lifestyle. No one will shoot him for that. But being a monk means that he took a vow of celibacy.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Theravada monks do not partake meal after midday, I guess this is different from Mahayana which Ming Yi belongs :confused:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mahayana monks are supposed to be vegetarians and teetotalers. What kind of vegetarian feast costs S$1,000 per table?

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
his gala dinner got sio tee (roasted pig), sio kuay (roasted chicken) n sio ark (roasted duck) or not?

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Possible. Or maybe they engaged striptease dancers and allowed the restaurant to bill them so as to camouflage the whole thing. The vegetarian meal should not cost a bomb.

Maybe they serve Truffles at the dinner. Those cost a bomb