• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migrating for Oz: Living Expenses?

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forgive me if this post sound abrupt, still under (M) and limited 500 characters.

Have a wife and kids, 10,7 and 3. Run our own business and leaving SG because PR residency requirement is due July 13 and need a place conducive for our kids to pursue their talents (2 in music, one in sports).

If we base ourselves in Oz, what is a typical monthly expenditure, e.g. - School Fees (Private), Petrol, Groceries, Utilities etc.

What minimum sum should we bring that would cover it?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Forgive me if this post sound abrupt, still under (M) and limited 500 characters.

Have a wife and kids, 10,7 and 3. Run our own business and leaving SG because PR residency requirement is due July 13 and need a place conducive for our kids to pursue their talents (2 in music, one in sports).

If we base ourselves in Oz, what is a typical monthly expenditure, e.g. - School Fees (Private), Petrol, Groceries, Utilities etc.

OZ is HUGE! Overheads vary widely from city to city and town to town.

Petrol costs depend on your weekly mileage no matter where you are and prices can vary considerably between regions. The more isolated the region, the higher the price per litre will be.

Private School Fees can easily be determined by emailing the school you have in mind.

Utilities depend upon which part of OZ you're in. If you need heating in winter, the bill will be a lot bigger. If you're moving to Darwin and can live without airconditioning, it's a lot lower.

Big City groceries are cheaper because of more intense competition. Rural groceries tend to me more expensive but you have the advantage of being able to grow a lot of stuff in your own backyard.

Don't forget to factor in council rates if you're going to buy a home. They can be astronomical.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

A typical living in Melbourne would cost :
a) School Fees - govt free ! or perhaps $300 per yr per pax (donation to school)
b) Childcare service : $100/day (N/A if ya housewife)
b) Petrol - $80/wk for 1600cc + $650/yr rego (aka road tax) +$800 insurance
c) Utilities - $100/mth x 3 (elec, gas &water)
d) Rent - $450/wk
e) Grocer - $250 /wk

As a new migrant, your new govt will pay you.. approx $x,xxx/mth for child benefits etc...
Happy Living !

Last edited:

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Still settling PR application forms for my 2 toddlers.. at 1.20am in the morning..

Been HECTIC settling back in melbourne with no help/relatives around..

anyone living around the keysborough area? :biggrin:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
A typical living in Melbourne would cost :
a) School Fees - govt free ! or perhaps $300 per yr per pax (donation to school)
b) Childcare service : $100/day (N/A if ya housewife)
b) Petrol - $80/wk for 1600cc + $650/yr rego (aka road tax) +$800 insurance
c) Utilities - $100/mth x 3 (elec, gas &water)
d) Rent - $450/wk
e) Grocer - $250 /wk

As a new migrant, your new govt will pay you.. approx $x,xxx/mth for child benefits etc...
Happy Living !
Hi, it is tough to enrol into school in Mel? What's your view on public vs private schools?

Sounds like it is still quite cheap to live in Mel, as compare to sinkieland.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Melbourne, the public has to accept your kids, if you are within close proximity to their zone. In the affluent suburbs, the angmos normally send their kids to public school (in good areas) then upgrade to private schools in Year 7-12, avg fee about $25,000/pa.

The above $$ provided does not include your weekend eat-out. Tim sum for a family is about $80-100 per meal.. or simple 4 plates of char kway teow (including drinks) is about $50.

Your biggest worry is getting a loan for house purchase, unless you have the cash like to PRC (cash for a dwelling). If there is no proof of income, banks will not lend you the money. An income of $100k only allow to borrow $500k.. Good area dwelling would cost about 950k. New development house (30km from CBD) probably around $500-600k.

Oz Education
http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?21903-education-in-Australia&p=197031#post197031

Hi, it is tough to enrol into school in Mel? What's your view on public vs private schools?

Sounds like it is still quite cheap to live in Mel, as compare to sinkieland.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cost of living in melbourne sure is high,,,nearly a million bucks for a house close to city,,guess its like singapore,,except 1 mill get u a HDB flat near the city,,,but at least the interest rate is lower in singapore,,,whereas in oz is about 6%

In Melbourne, the public has to accept your kids, if you are within close proximity to their zone. In the affluent suburbs, the angmos normally send their kids to public school (in good areas) then upgrade to private schools in Year 7-12, avg fee about $25,000/pa.

The above $$ provided does not include your weekend eat-out. Tim sum for a family is about $80-100 per meal.. or simple 4 plates of char kway teow (including drinks) is about $50.

Your biggest worry is getting a loan for house purchase, unless you have the cash like to PRC (cash for a dwelling). If there is no proof of income, banks will not lend you the money. An income of $100k only allow to borrow $500k.. Good area dwelling would cost about 950k. New development house (30km from CBD) probably around $500-600k.

Oz Education
http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?21903-education-in-Australia&p=197031#post197031

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oz Education
For me the biggest concern will be kids education. Seem like private schools are preferred, but really expensive, just like COE.

I saw some southbank apartments, was thinking about them, as 3br around aud 750k, about same price as hdb exec flat. Thought this area is not bad, close to st Kilda, CBD, botanical gardens, beach etc. any opinion?

Was thinking maybe buy one first, then rent it out for a few years before finally making the move. At least can use sinkie income statement to get oz bank loan... Possible?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cost of living in melbourne sure is high,,,nearly a million bucks for a house close to city,,guess its like singapore,,except 1 mill get u a HDB flat near the city,,,but at least the interest rate is lower in singapore,,,whereas in oz is about 6%
If exclude kids education I think Mel cost is a little lower. Cars, housing and grocery cheaper. Though the other taxes, council fees etc may not be cheap. For me eating out is not a must as I am getting to like home cooked food. Nowadays due to high rental and manpower costs, I find that sinkie restaurants are no longer cheap, and the cheap ones are skimming on quality of ingredient.

agrid

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fixed expenditures are as follows
School Fees - govt free ! or perhaps $300 per yr per pax (donation to school)
Childcare service : $100/day (N/A if ya housewife)
Petrol - $80/wk for 1600cc + $650/yr rego (aka road tax) +$800 insurance
Utilities - $100/mth x 3 (elec, gas &water)
Rent - $450/wk
Grocer - $250 /wk
After all these calculation you should be fine with this.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Inner East or Inner South-east is looking at around $1.2-1.4 mil minimum for a 500m2 land - 3bed 2 bath.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Copy cat !!

The fixed expenditures are as follows
School Fees - govt free ! or perhaps $300 per yr per pax (donation to school)
Childcare service : $100/day (N/A if ya housewife)
Petrol - $80/wk for 1600cc + $650/yr rego (aka road tax) +$800 insurance
Utilities - $100/mth x 3 (elec, gas &water)
Rent - $450/wk
Grocer - $250 /wk
After all these calculation you should be fine with this.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
A frz told me the other day - property (Inner East Mel) valued at $1.45mil, rates about $1800/pa.
Cheaper than apartment (valued @ $500k) with rates ($800)+ corporate fee ($2000).

I have to highlight buying in bulk from Cosco - rice & washing power by 25kgs.

Rental in Melbourne is cheaper than Sg, but buying houses may or may not be cheap - the interest is 6% or 3 times of Sg. Example if you are paying $2,000 in Sg, you'll pay $6,000 in interest in Australia.

If exclude kids education I think Mel cost is a little lower. Cars, housing and grocery cheaper. Though the other taxes, council fees etc may not be cheap. For me eating out is not a must as I am getting to like home cooked food. Nowadays due to high rental and manpower costs, I find that sinkie restaurants are no longer cheap, and the cheap ones are skimming on quality of ingredient.

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
A frz told me the other day - property (Inner East Mel) valued at $1.45mil, rates about $1800/pa.
Cheaper than apartment (valued @ $500k) with rates ($800)+ corporate fee ($2000).

I have to highlight buying in bulk from Cosco - rice & washing power by 25kgs.

Rental in Melbourne is cheaper than Sg, but buying houses may or may not be cheap - the interest is 6% or 3 times of Sg. Example if you are paying $2,000 in Sg, you'll pay $6,000 in interest in Australia.
Makes sense to rent. No wonder so many Australians are renting. Better to put the cash in bank since can't leverage much, unlike in sinkieland. Of course owning house gives more certainty and control.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Makes sense to rent. No wonder so many Australians are renting. Better to put the cash in bank since can't leverage much, unlike in sinkieland. Of course owning house gives more certainty and control.

If you have to work your sum.. If you dont have a job, it is wise to place your money in the bank for interest. To the best of my recollection, income for interest zero-to-25k is tax free. However, you may miss the boom (capital growth) and be harder to get into the market if there is an upswing.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have to work your sum.. If you dont have a job, it is wise to place your money in the bank for interest. To the best of my recollection, income for interest zero-to-25k is tax free. However, you may miss the boom (capital growth) and be harder to get into the market if there is an upswing.
I'm thinking more of buying a small business there, maybe a convenient shop or restaurant. Heard the returns are quite good. Better than buying house to rent out,

I like Australia because the tax structure is fairer than sinkie land and encourage small entrepreneurs. Sinkieland is too geared towards big money and property speculators.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm thinking more of buying a small business there, maybe a convenient shop or restaurant. Heard the returns are quite good. Better than buying house to rent out,

I like Australia because the tax structure is fairer than sinkie land and encourage small entrepreneurs. Sinkieland is too geared towards big money and property speculators.

Gentle advice, see an accountant before any purchase, he'll get you a right structure for effective tax. Typical Singaporean will buy one hse and work for their whole life...interest rate @ 6.5% and their increment is about 2.5% - common sense tell us, they'll take many many years to pay up ! Food industry is booming abiet poor economy- esp M'sians food. I am trying dig out my cousin, a Chef from Glen Waverley... From his hint, profit margin abt 40%

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gentle advice, see an accountant before any purchase, he'll get you a right structure for effective tax. Typical Singaporean will buy one hse and work for their whole life...interest rate @ 6.5% and their increment is about 2.5% - common sense tell us, they'll take many many years to pay up ! Food industry is booming abiet poor economy- esp M'sians food. I am trying dig out my cousin, a Chef from Glen Waverley... From his hint, profit margin abt 40%

Hire me, I can cook anything under the sun. Can disappear from peesai anytime. Am serious if you are.

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for advice. That's roughly the profit margin I heard too, around 30-50% of capital. Of course much depends on food quality and sometimes luck.

So you are also thinking of restaurant biz?