• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Melvyn Tan Saga - Part 2

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
To. The Prime Minister
To. The Minister of Defence

Firstly this is not abput re-visiting Melvyn Tan being allowed entry into Singapore and the ridiculous fine that he incurred. This is about Melvyn Tan making money from Singaporeans and Singapore, the very people and very country that he and his parents disrespected.

We saw the parliamentary debate and the comments and proposals made by Government ministers and MPs on this matter after the Melvyn Tan affair came to light. It appears that the Govt do not get or understand the first principals behind this issue.

Of all people both of you should know the number of conscripted young men who have lost lives and limbs since National Service was introduced in 1967. Is this fair to parents, family and friends of those who lost their lives or have been maimed, some being the only son or child. Is is fair to all those who served NS, some of whom are unemployed. Please think what you have allowed. The ROI from a $3k is enormous by any standard.

Melvyn allowed entry social visit visa to visit his country of birth, meet his family and friends after paying the fine is different from being allowed to perform, collect money and make a living from the very people that he showed his middle finger to.

His parents were well to do, educated and they knew what they were doing. They cannot claim ignorance. They had the means to send him away for extended period, could afford trips and a home to be with him, something most people cannot afford.

He is no longer a Singaporean and I am sure he will not give up his UK citizenship and take the Singapore citizenship. Its obvious he is milking the "home ethnic" locals to line his pocket.

Its a bloody disgrace and a slap to the face of all Singaporeans.

I think we need to know how many defaulters are allowed to return and milk the country similar to Melvyn.

Last edited:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
When will it end?? Defaulters gets away with it!! FTs gets away with it!! Only local Sinkies end up being suckers!! To all those who say that NS is special, creates a bond....unique experience..blah blah blah....if I have to live my life again, I would rather skip NS if given a choice. Now I am expected to defend a country where half of the populance I don't know or even relate to..

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read with enthusiasm this revived interest in Melvyn Tan, the pianist.

I am aware of what happened a few years back when he tried to come back when his mother (or grandmother?) was ill or passed away. At that time, there was considerable backlash. People were angry that he was "let off" too easily.

Then I started to think about what he has achieved with those hands that has never touched a rifle. Has anyone listened to him play? Would he have achieved the same if he had come back?

Then I thought about our own musical talents - those that have achieved at least some sort of international recognition - Seow Lee Chin, Lee Huei Min, etc... Why predominantly female? Is NS a stumbling block? The music industry, when picking "starlets", likes them young. Also, which institution would grant a scholarship with a 2 year NS in between? Would the person be able to put in enough hours to keep his technique ship shape?

Then my thoughts wandered to Ike See, who "bypassed" the problem by doing a diploma instead of a degree. And also the very promising Gabriel Ng, who should have turned 18 (or soon?). Is he back for NS?

Then I thought of Maxim Vengerov, Israeli. He was granted exemption.

And I come back to Singapore and our wonderful beautiful Esplanade.
What gives?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oscar Pistorius is a gifted runner who overcame disability, broke new ground and broke his own world record 30 times. A national hero and a role model. a rare individual. Based on this alone he should have got bail.

See the logic?

I read with enthusiasm this revived interest in Melvyn Tan, the pianist.
And I come back to Singapore and our wonderful beautiful Esplanade.
What gives?

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
When will it end?? Defaulters gets away with it!! FTs gets away with it!! Only local Sinkies end up being suckers!! To all those who say that NS is special, creates a bond....unique experience..blah blah blah....if I have to live my life again, I would rather skip NS if given a choice. Now I am expected to defend a country where half of the populance I don't know or even relate to..

you cannot AWOL, NS is mandated by law; but they cannot lock in your spirit; i look back at my NS years with nostalgia; but the reasons for my commitment have changed; i would not give my heart and soul defending a land if more than half did not have the same bond as me; those who become MP without doing NS will not get my support

Last edited:

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
by PM Lee

He emphasised that the concept of a Singaporean core is not just about numbers, but about spirit.
In an emotional moment, Mr Lee's eyes reddened as he said that the Singapore core are those who share values, ideals, memories and experiences; those willing to defend the nation and our way of life "because we feel as one together."

my spirit will not be with the 45% non core immigrants ... come 2030, so how to defend the nation

what do you think?

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hv actually seen Melvyn play live before...at tat time did not know of his bkgrd becuz it was way before his ns/awol saga...he is indeed a talented pianist...

However fact of the matter is tat Melvynappears to hv gamed the system...same prolly goes for Patrick Tan...

I wld be surprised if Dr Goh wld hv allowed both cases to hv transpired as they did under his watch...

The Times They Are A Changinn....

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hv actually seen Melvyn play live before...at tat time did not know of his bkgrd becuz it was way before his ns/awol saga...he is indeed a talented pianist...

However fact of the matter is tat Melvynappears to hv gamed the system...same prolly goes for Patrick Tan...

I wld be surprised if Dr Goh wld hv allowed both cases to hv transpired as they did under his watch...

The Times They Are A Changinn....

I would be interested to ask Scroo if he thinks Mel's parents made the right decision.

As for NS, it is so accepted now and we do it so willingly it has become a sacrifice with no value at all. Something you gotta do. Very few in Singapore gives a toss about Melvyn getting away so easily. If they could they would do it too. Meritocracy get it ?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our own ex-citizens screw us. The PAP govt screw us. The fake talents who come in screw us.

Everybody is gaming the system, led by the MIWs and their cronies. All gaming the system at our expense and all thanks to the PAP!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our own ex-citizens screw us. The PAP govt screw us. The fake talents who come in screw us.

Everybody is gaming the system, led by the MIWs and their cronies. All gaming the system at our expense and all thanks to the PAP!

The problem is that there are rewards for screwing Singaporeans.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If my recollection did not failed me, Melvyn Tan was presented with the opportunity to serve his NS in a clerical position so as to avoid the risk of him injuring his hands. The decision maker then had bent over backwards to accommodate him. The offer was conveyed to his parents. He refused.

If he had return anytime before 40, he would have been arrested, charged in court, possibly jailed, and still require to serve his NS.
He choose to return after 40 yrs. He knew the system and how it works.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Voted in time and time again by Singkies with no balls.
And those Singkies with no balls want the rest with balls to be screwed together with them.

Collective punishment with those that do not have the balls.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are parents in the early years who are rich and have sent their children overseas. Thats fine. They made choice and they live by it.

This is a guy who not only skipped NS, but he is holding concerts in Singapore and collecting money from gullible Simgaporeans who actually did their NS? He has been residing in UK all these years and not in a welfare home for orphans.

For example of an extreme sense, if I your rape your elder sister and then date your younger sister with your parents permission, do you think people would think something is wrong. After all, I am a gifted individual, well helled and pretty much loaded.

I would be interested to ask Scroo if he thinks Mel's parents made the right decision.

As for NS, it is so accepted now and we do it so willingly it has become a sacrifice with no value at all. Something you gotta do. Very few in Singapore gives a toss about Melvyn getting away so easily. If they could they would do it too. Meritocracy get it ?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For years, people with special talent including national sportsmen after BMT are given soft postings and allowed time-off for training. Has been going on for donkey years. 3 months BMT is a flash in the pan.

If my recollection did not failed me, Melvyn Tan was presented with the opportunity to serve his NS in a clerical position so as to avoid the risk of him injuring his hands. The decision maker then had bent over backwards to accommodate him. The offer was conveyed to his parents. He refused.

If he had return anytime before 40, he would have been arrested, charged in court, possibly jailed, and still require to serve his NS.
He choose to return after 40 yrs. He knew the system and how it works.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
This issue can be mitigated by rewarding NS men. Many former military officers use to carry their rank after leaving service - BG Lee, etc.

So why not recognize the 2 years of service plus the 13 or more years of reservist training by rewarding them. Right now, many, like Melvyn can game the system.

For example: we could give a 10% COE discount or rather apply a 10% surcharge for cars bought by non-NS men. NS men get priority in selecting HDB flats, schools of choice, get a 20% of their medical bills picked up by the SAF, greater childcare assistance, etc.

Right now the only benefit I can see is an additional $100 to $200 when it comes to GST kickbacks.

SO they can bring in new citizens but recognize those that have sacrificed 2 to 3 years of their lives for NS by $$$ incentives.