• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Melben Seafood Ang Mo Kio - Good Claypot Crab Bee Hoon

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I’ve been to Mellben a couple of times, and I quite like the place, except for the long queues!...had not been there for sometime and decided to pay a visit yesterday as the family and out of town guests were in the mood for crabs...

no impeccable service, nor a great view, or anything pretty, but its Crabs alone were worth the trip once again...although there was yet another long queue...

Claypot Crab Beehoon is its speciality and it is still to to-die-for...succulent meat in a savoury buttery soup base, yummy...Butter Crabs and Pepper Crabs were also good topped off with Man Tou(10 pieces per plate) and had a side dish of sambal kangkong which was well blended and also yummy...

One word of caution though...don’t get other food, just get the crabs...the other dishes are very normal zi char fare standard, so don’t bother really...and if you’re going to queue up just to get to this place, it’s simply not worth your time ordering other food...

Alfrescian
Loyal
No big deal, the standard have dropped. Its opposite blk 233, Amk. You have to enter by st. 22. Why not go to Chinatown, buy yourself a crab and cook it yourself.

pachinko

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait till you try the Alaskan king crab beehoon at Chef Chan Restaurant at National Museum ,you will sing praises for this joint. Be prepared to be set back by at least $300 plus for this dish alone , but no regrets , you will walk out a very happy belly. His bittergout crab is also superd not to mention sharksfin in double boil chicken broth .That's real dining , I have never eaten anything better elsewhere when it comes to chinese (maybe cantonese) fine dining.

Sorry to disagree with you on Melben which I tried but so so only. It's like the one at crab delight in Tiaong Bahru, normal crab bee hoon already quite pricey in coffee shop environment.

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
i tried the one at toa payoh lorong 8 market a few times, i would say i love the soup and thick bee hoon, but nothing fantastic about the crabs. the tze char is also very normal.

if i can pay for only the soup and bee hoon, i would visit the place more frequently. But to pay the price of expensive crabs just for the sake of the soup, i think it is not worth it.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
no worries bro...we are all here to share our own povs:wink:

Wait till you try the Alaskan king crab beehoon at Chef Chan Restaurant at National Museum ,you will sing praises for this joint. Be prepared to be set back by at least $300 plus for this dish alone , but no regrets , you will walk out a very happy belly. His bittergout crab is also superd not to mention sharksfin in double boil chicken broth .That's real dining , I have never eaten anything better elsewhere when it comes to chinese (maybe cantonese) fine dining.

Sorry to disagree with you on Melben which I tried but so so only. It's like the one at crab delight in Tiaong Bahru, normal crab bee hoon already quite pricey in coffee shop environment.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
charge by the weight of the crab...for a coffee shop sort of joint(recently renovated but still a coffee shop joint) the price is on the highside, i think $35 per kg...

personally i would go to Melben only for their crab bee hoon because i really love the creamy buttery soup together with succulent sweet crab meat and their butter crabs...

what is the price for the crab?

miosux

Alfrescian
Loyal
I’ve been to Mellben a couple of times, and I quite like the place, except for the long queues!...had not been there for sometime and decided to pay a visit yesterday as the family and out of town guests were in the mood for crabs...

no impeccable service, nor a great view, or anything pretty, but its Crabs alone were worth the trip once again...although there was yet another long queue...

Claypot Crab Beehoon is its speciality and it is still to to-die-for...succulent meat in a savoury buttery soup base, yummy...Butter Crabs and Pepper Crabs were also good topped off with Man Tou(10 pieces per plate) and had a side dish of sambal kangkong which was well blended and also yummy...

One word of caution though...don’t get other food, just get the crabs...the other dishes are very normal zi char fare standard, so don’t bother really...and if you’re going to queue up just to get to this place, it’s simply not worth your time ordering other food...

sorry i beg to differ. on the contrary, the other dishes were a lot more impressive than the crab. i tried the claypot crab beehoon - while the soup/stock was excellent and i could taste the 'essence of crab' in it, the problem is that ALL the flavour from the crab meat was boiled away into the soup. (p/s the crab soup/stock would make an excellent base for a seafood chowder!)

as for the butter crab, that's just a strange, confused dish. i'd call it "confused fusion" :wink: the curry leaves with creamy butter sauce was just.... strange. there's no harmony of flavours, just a jarring clash. it might appeal to ang mohs, but this dish is not for me.

for the purists, this place is not for you.

peace and love!