• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Medini (Nusajaya) Community

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
However how expensive things are, Johore is still one of very few choice Singaporeans have to space out.
The other choice is to fly. And Johore authorities know that.

Yes, what is your opinion on KSL landed development in Mutiara Bestari?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, what is your opinion on KSL landed development in Mutiara Bestari?

KSL is not in my list of favorable developers. They are the type who won't default but the type who give you the average built. They are not the upmarket developers so town planning, amenities or quality finishing is something you need to look into.
The clustered design is not favoured, as it involved sharing of walls with 2 neighbours. Getting approvals for renovation might be a problem. Personally, I prefer a kitchen with a open backyard. It is actually a standard 24 ft wide house with a strip of land on the side.
I think for such a house, the average selling price at 800k plus, seemed a bit high and it is below threshold of RM1.0. There will be takers from locals, maybe slow but I think locals can afford it. More so, it is guarded, how effective or is there a permanent perimeter wall remained to be seen.
Locationwise, it is away from central JB, so traffic jams not so bad. You can go to Tuas as well as through Woodlands. Good place for parent's retirement plan if you don't like Zone B.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
KSL is not in my list of favorable developers. They are the type who won't default but the type who give you the average built. They are not the upmarket developers so town planning, amenities or quality finishing is something you need to look into.
The clustered design is not favoured, as it involved sharing of walls with 2 neighbours. Getting approvals for renovation might be a problem. Personally, I prefer a kitchen with a open backyard. It is actually a standard 24 ft wide house with a strip of land on the side.
I think for such a house, the average selling price at 800k plus, seemed a bit high and it is below threshold of RM1.0. There will be takers from locals, maybe slow but I think locals can afford it. More so, it is guarded, how effective or is there a permanent perimeter wall remained to be seen.
Locationwise, it is away from central JB, so traffic jams not so bad. You can go to Tuas as well as through Woodlands. Good place for parent's retirement plan if you don't like Zone B.

Yep, very much agree with the assessment here of KSL. They are not Haagen Daaz premium brand type, more of the Walls type of ice cream, in my view. They won't chup lup or run road. Condo project wise, if they can do something like KSL City and do it slightly better, I am happy liao. Yesterday went to check the Daya progress and now reach 12th storey, hopefully in the next couple of years the immediate surroundings are also beautified somewhat. Back in 2013 we viewed their Kempas cluster houses, at that time already close to RM1 million but we found the location a bit too "ulu" to our liking and it was a bare unit, though size wise quite big.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't really say that. Opportunity costs are involved. Basically money is parked there indefinitely. Or for those with bank loans, every month money goes out (with interest) but no money coming in. Buyers must realize also the saying "Property prices will always go up" does not paint a complete picture.

Consider this example: Suppose one can hold, say the property prices drop within first 5 years. Ok, do nothing. Then in the next 5 years, the price goes back up to the original purchase. Another 10 years later, it's 20% more. You average out over 20 years, it's only 1% per annum. Even if you up it to 40% more, it's only 2% p.a., an amount you can easily get from other investments. What about bank interests incurred, taxes, maintenance, etc. For foreigners, also got to consider currency ex. And then the important question: If one wants to let it go, would anyone want to buy a 20 yr old condo?

I have a friend who bought the shares of a company which he thought would do well. He bought it at more than S$1 when there was so much hype about it. Cut long story short. When it dropped to half the value, he didn't believe in selling to cut loss. He's the buy and keep type. "Holding power" is important, as some here say. He also hoped and hoped that things would do better. Today, the price is worth less than S$0.20. He has lost on paper more than S$20k. Yes, there's no real loss as long as he doesn't sell. But the feeling is not good. Nobody can say if the company can turn around.

Now my friend is just keeping the shares. The money remains stuck indefinitely. The analogy is the same when buying properties without due consideration. Of course, I must always clarify if you don't need the money, are rich or buy to play play and enjoy the place, it is a different story.

In my view, your 20-year property example and your friend's stocks example brings home the point that one makes decision based on then available knowledge he has. He can't know the future for certain regarding what would happen 5 years or 10 years down the road. A lot of assumptions need to be made. Of course on hind sight one can always say "you should have done more due diligence on this and that, you should have known this and that" but such is usually of little value when the commitment has been made. Assuming the target of your criticism is on those who only have herd mentality, probably true. But then there could be those who did not follow herd mentality, but did their homework and bought it, yet would unfortunately be lumped together as being one of the herd simply because of the "guilt by association" reasoning.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my view, your 20-year property example and your friend's stocks example brings home the point that one makes decision based on then available knowledge he has. He can't know the future for certain regarding what would happen 5 years or 10 years down the road. A lot of assumptions need to be made. Of course on hind sight one can always say "you should have done more due diligence on this and that, you should have known this and that" but such is usually of little value when the commitment has been made. Assuming the target of your criticism is on those who only have herd mentality, probably true. But then there could be those who did not follow herd mentality, but did their homework and bought it, yet would unfortunately be lumped together as being one of the herd simply because of the "guilt by association" reasoning.

Sorry..but this is my take. If you calculate too much, you won't buy anything in the end of the day.
I was a stupid and fool hardy. Die also do not know why type.

Well..I just bought another property and have yet to sell any. Maybe I am right or maybe I am wrong. But I never borrow too much to buy.
One step at a time and start small. Baby steps before you leap. I started buying a low cost house costing RM43,500 and that too I have to borrow to pay down payment. Friends said they have to drive through palm oil estate before reaching my house. That is the only house I can afford then. Poor people like me cannot demand too much. My 2nd purchase uses credit card advance too for deposit too. No shame in saying all these. The rest is history. No one know what is the future. You plan the best you could in the present.

Last edited:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal

KSL, Segamat ah beng but a lot of money :p
Those who know their history will understand

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes I noted that on their sharing of walls, but I was looking at their semi detached houses, although it may be too big as I have no family now so to speak, but the location seems good, near Bukit Indah Aron and second link, I am not sure as I did not really scout the location but just from Google maps.

Parents already very clear they don't want to move from East Coast in Singapore. Only me and spouse, not even the kids.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I noted that on their sharing of walls, but I was looking at their semi detached houses, although it may be too big as I have no family now so to speak, but the location seems good, near Bukit Indah Aron and second link, I am not sure as I did not really scout the location but just from Google maps.

Parents already very clear they don't want to move from East Coast in Singapore. Only me and spouse, not even the kids.

I live in a oversize house too.
Cleaning is a chore but now kinda became a form of exercise for us. We would tend the garden every other day and it actually give us something outdoor to do. Too much indoor give you more stress. Every now and then, the drains need to be cleaned, ants would be marching along or you have caterpillars chomping plants. But it does give you something to do apart from looking at each another and welll..too much of it is not good, even teeth bites the tongue at times.

But the nice part is while we enjoy privacy, mom, brothers and sister come along for a 3 day 2 night package whenever there's holidays. Or once a while, we cook and have a big dinner and play mahjong non stop for few days. I had many BBQ parties in the garden with my neighbour or relatives. You can never get all these if you stay in a condo. Moreso, my siblings all stayed in condos. Not that they do not want to host big gathering but they don't have space to do it. Max is eat in restaurants. But that is a different feel. Money cannot buy this type of gathering of family closeness. Enjoy the moments while everyone is able and around.

Fast forward to the next 10 years, I can see my kids moving out as they have their own families. Daughter would get married. Old creaking bones cannot clean a big house anymore. I am ready for retirement then. Small 5 star condo will do fine.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I live in a oversize house too.
Cleaning is a chore but now kinda became a form of exercise for us. We would tend the garden every other day and it actually give us something outdoor to do. Too much indoor give you more stress. Every now and then, the drains need to be cleaned, ants would be marching along or you have caterpillars chomping plants. But it does give you something to do apart from looking at each another and welll..too much of it is not good, even teeth bites the tongue at times.

But the nice part is while we enjoy privacy, mom, brothers and sister come along for a 3 day 2 night package whenever there's holidays. Or once a while, we cook and have a big dinner and play mahjong non stop for few days. I had many BBQ parties in the garden with my neighbour or relatives. You can never get all these if you stay in a condo. Moreso, my siblings all stayed in condos. Not that they do not want to host big gathering but they don't have space to do it. Max is eat in restaurants. But that is a different feel. Money cannot buy this type of gathering of family closeness. Enjoy the moments while everyone is able and around.

Fast forward to the next 10 years, I can see my kids moving out as they have their own families. Daughter would get married. Old creaking bones cannot clean a big house anymore. I am ready for retirement then. Small 5 star condo will do fine.

Thats what I like about big landed properties, I was brought up in a 5000 sq feet landed corner semi detached house when young, had a Doberman as a pet dog and as a boy used to setup tent and camp in the garden, and yes I am used to critters as it brings me closer to nature, I used to catch bats, birds, and rhinoceros beetle in the garden, wild watermelon growing, must be neighbor threw watermelon seeds, nothing beats having a childhood like that. I want to relive that kind of life in retirement.

Assuming nobody stays in big house, I may leave the rooms empty for easy cleaning. As long as house is not cramped and everything well spaced out I feel it should be easier to clean.

Anyway real retirement is about 10 years away, if can come across a good deal in Johor then commit, now is open eyes stage.

I really think that many economic refugees may spill over in the next decade or so.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats what I like about big landed properties, I was brought up in a 5000 sq feet landed corner semi detached house when young, had a Doberman as a pet dog and as a boy used to setup tent and camp in the garden, and yes I am used to critters as it brings me closer to nature, I used to catch bats, birds, and rhinoceros beetle in the garden, wild watermelon growing, must be neighbor threw watermelon seeds, nothing beats having a childhood like that. I want to relive that kind of life in retirement.

Assuming nobody stays in big house, I may leave the rooms empty for easy cleaning. As long as house is not cramped and everything well spaced out I feel it should be easier to clean.

Anyway real retirement is about 10 years away, if can come across a good deal in Johor then commit, now is open eyes stage.

I really think that many economic refugees may spill over in the next decade or so.

Interestingly, my present 3 storey corner house is 60ft wide x 80ft length.No one wants to stay on the top floor. That's why it is a guest room. Downstairs bedroom is converted into a gym room. 28 ft wide golf grass garden and pergola & fountain. Frontage face a park. Birds tweet in the morning. Enjoying every minute of it now, until one day I clean it no more. Then I will move to a condo, maybe 10 years later.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wah...brought up in 5000sqft house...jin ho mia leh!:smile:

I was brought up in one room flat. Rich Dad vs Poor Dad.:p

Last edited:

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well Frodo we all will eventually end up at the same place… :biggrin:
More important is live in the present to the BEST of your ability.
To each his own. Nothing to envy or be ashamed of. Stay Happy!

:wink:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interestingly, my present 3 storey corner house is 60ft wide x 80ft length.No one wants to stay on the top floor. That's why it is a guest room. Downstairs bedroom is converted into a gym room. 28 ft wide golf grass garden and pergola & fountain. Frontage face a park. Birds tweet in the morning. Enjoying every minute of it now, until one day I clean it no more. Then I will move to a condo, maybe 10 years later.

Yep my plans are to have gym room too. My parents still stay in their 3 storey landed now and they are almost 80, they have home help to clean the place. So far seldom hear people have maid in Johor, maybe scared they really "clean" the house.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

My dad started off like you, bought 3 room flat in Toa Payoh for $7k and booked semi detached house for $40k, rented it out and it was self paying, later he sold the 3 room flat for $14k and we moved into the landed house, after 5 years he fully paid the landed house and he went into business, the business needed to have factory, like Tekkun....and to cut the long story short, the rest is history as we diversified from good engineering business into property investment.

My biggest regret though, is not going into coffeeshop business. Those days can easily get good coffeeshop for about $1m, now they are all 2 digit millions with Bukit Batok one going for $35m.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
With inflation & globalisation, things esp property tends to appreciate. In SG esp so with limited Land. Coupled with all the Crazy QE & money printing/low to negative interest rate environment, the future of holding onto cash is.....

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dad started off like you, bought 3 room flat in Toa Payoh for $7k and booked semi detached house for $40k, rented it out and it was self paying, later he sold the 3 room flat for $14k and we moved into the landed house, after 5 years he fully paid the landed house and he went into business, the business needed to have factory, like Tekkun....and to cut the long story short, the rest is history as we diversified from good engineering business into property investment.

My biggest regret though, is not going into coffeeshop business. Those days can easily get good coffeeshop for about $1m, now they are all 2 digit millions with Bukit Batok one going for $35m.

I guess those were the long gone days ya...when it is probably easier/faster to pay off a $7K or $40K loan versus nowadays when we are talking about $400-$900K HDB flats, no need to even talk about semi-Ds. Really obscene profits can be made from those prices then! It's definitely harder to replicate such a feat in today's context. Frankly speaking, I doubt I would have much of a financial legacy to leave with my kids (all my properties combined is not even S$1 million in value!), but at least there's a bit more to distribute besides just a HDB unit.:smile: Now just hoping for things to turn out better.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
With inflation & globalisation, things esp property tends to appreciate. In SG esp so with limited Land. Coupled with all the Crazy QE & money printing/low to negative interest rate environment, the future of holding onto cash is.....

Does that mean it is advisable for those who can afford it to now just buy say, a condo in Iskandar or maybe any property in other countries? Treat it as a long term "savings plan". Sleep, don't touch the money, and wake up 20 years later, the S$300k becomes S$600k or more.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does that mean it is advisable for those who can afford it to now just buy say, a condo in Iskandar or maybe any property in other countries? Treat it as a long term "savings plan". Sleep, don't touch the money, and wake up 20 years later, the S$300k becomes S$600k or more.

In my view, it really depends on the individual preference and objectives. I don't know about investing in other countries, but personally I feel that JB condos are affordable compared to Singapore, so if I really want to buy a condo property JB would be at the top of the choice. The entry bar is low, and the currency and proximity are in our favour, traffic gripes notwithstanding. And there is already a blending of sorts between JB and SG these past few decades and people generally understand the pattern or "kuan" of both sides, so there is also a familiarity advantage compared to say buying in a further place like Bangkok or Australia. And not forgetting also the language factor, where English and Chinese can get you by most of the time, without speaking any Malay.:smile:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my view, it really depends on the individual preference and objectives. I don't know about investing in other countries, but personally I feel that JB condos are affordable compared to Singapore, so if I really want to buy a condo property JB would be at the top of the choice. The entry bar is low, and the currency and proximity are in our favour, traffic gripes notwithstanding. And there is already a blending of sorts between JB and SG these past few decades and people generally understand the pattern or "kuan" of both sides, so there is also a familiarity advantage compared to say buying in a further place like Bangkok or Australia. And not forgetting also the language factor, where English and Chinese can get you by most of the time, without speaking any Malay.:smile:

I don't mean buy for own occupancy but for investment. Cos I've heard some saying "property will appreciate". So be it Iskandar or other countries, even if SG if one can afford it, it's a no-brainer to just put down the money and years later, it will grow?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well Frodo we all will eventually end up at the same place… :biggrin:
More important is live in the present to the BEST of your ability.
To each his own. Nothing to envy or be ashamed of. Stay Happy!

:wink:

True indeed. I was just sharing with my old classmate last Friday that as we enter our 40s our mortality looms large and being able to wake up alive every morning is already a blessing:smile: So maybe it is better to enjoy the moment while it is still today...so let's "eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die"! (figure of speech only lah, not to be taken literally ok?) LOL!:biggrin: