• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MBT : Cant pay then down grade !

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is the bloody cost of buying the FLATS ! Why not moderate the expecation of HDB ? Keep thinking of making money from it own people !

==========================================================
These homeowners form a disproportionately large number of the hardship cases that MPs come across during their meet-the-people sessions, according to the latest issue of Petir, the People’s Action Party (PAP) magazine.

The financial problems raised during these sessions include jobs, welfare and assistance issues, and difficulty in paying utility bills, said Dr Beng Teck Liang, a member of the PAP’s Policy forum’s council. Its “preliminary” findings are based on data collected from the sessions held all over Singapore over the past five years or so.

Dr Beng said the forum would ask National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan at a forthcoming dialogue if applicants for four-room flats should be screened to see if they could afford to buy the flats in order to prevent “sub-prime” problems from cropping up.

Senior Minster of State for Trade and Industry, Mr S Iswaran, noted that the Housing Development Board now conducts credit assessments, “something we should have done from the start”.

“What’s sub-prime? It’s lending to people who maybe shouldn’t be borrowing so much,” said Mr Iswaran, who was asked about the problem during a dialogue session with the forum.

“The reality is there are some people who want to buy four-room flats but they don’t qualify for the loan for that amount, but if they want to buy a three-room flat, they can.

“So, this is really at the front end — trying to start moderating people’s expectations.”

He suggested that those facing problems servicing their home loans should cut their losses by selling their flats and downgrading to a smaller one or renting instead.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It would appear that the sinkies are just as dumb as them yanks!

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
“The reality is there are some people who want to buy four-room flats but they don’t qualify for the loan for that amount, but if they want to buy a three-room flat, they can.

“So, this is really at the front end — trying to start moderating people’s expectations.”

He suggested that those facing problems servicing their home loans should cut their losses by selling their flats and downgrading to a smaller one or renting instead.

Wasn't there a time when 3-room flats were in short (or no) supply and rented flats were impossible to get? Weren't the HDB building only 4- and 5-room flats amidst the govt's aggressive encouragement of home ownership?

Why blame the people now for what they were engineering then?

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB price is really really high

let me share an example, Punggol,

executive flats there during the initial selection period (1997) were around 500k each.

Many pple bought it.

Today (2008), the top resale price is only 465K. those pple who bought from HDB at 500K will lose alot of money.

Lucky i never buy executive flat there...else........

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is the bloody cost of buying the FLATS ! Why not moderate the expecation of HDB ? Keep thinking of making money from it own people !

==========================================================
These homeowners form a disproportionately large number of the hardship cases that MPs come across during their meet-the-people sessions, according to the latest issue of Petir, the People’s Action Party (PAP) magazine.

The financial problems raised during these sessions include jobs, welfare and assistance issues, and difficulty in paying utility bills, said Dr Beng Teck Liang, a member of the PAP’s Policy forum’s council. Its “preliminary” findings are based on data collected from the sessions held all over Singapore over the past five years or so.

Dr Beng said the forum would ask National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan at a forthcoming dialogue if applicants for four-room flats should be screened to see if they could afford to buy the flats in order to prevent “sub-prime” problems from cropping up.

Senior Minster of State for Trade and Industry, Mr S Iswaran, noted that the Housing Development Board now conducts credit assessments, “something we should have done from the start”.

“What’s sub-prime? It’s lending to people who maybe shouldn’t be borrowing so much,” said Mr Iswaran, who was asked about the problem during a dialogue session with the forum.

HDB doesn't owe it to you to let you live beyond your means.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
ppl canot affrod 4-5room hdb, aiming for 3room but not enough.
ppl wanna sell 4-5room hdb to downgrade to 3room canot sell
ppl stay condo kena enbloc, change to hdb also kena heavy property tax
ppl stay landed wanna sell, move to hdb, so can have more cash on hand also not many buyer

left also canot, right also canot. they think sell to downgrade so easy as change underwear meh?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Can't pay, then downgrade" is simple and sound advice. If the government start helping people pay for big flats that they can't afford, then I'd worry. Or better still, jump on the bandwagon and buy the biggest flat that I can't afford, and wait for government to help me pay.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
left also canot, right also canot. they think sell to downgrade so easy as change underwear meh?

Whether first time, upgrade or downgrade, anything concerning housing is never easy. It's unlike pasar malam shopping and of course, even more unlike like changing underwear. What to do? Make housing transaction as easy as buying and selling underwear?

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wasn't there a time when 3-room flats were in short (or no) supply and rented flats were impossible to get? Weren't the HDB building only 4- and 5-room flats amidst the govt's aggressive encouragement of home ownership?

Why blame the people now for what they were engineering then?

You are spot-on. If I remember correctly PAP MPs got to beg National Development Minister to build more 3-room flats but was flatly rejected. The reason given was that the govt encouraged people to upgrade to bigger flats.

So couples got no choice but to buy HDB 4-room flats instead. HDB rental flats are in very short-supply as govt's rationale is that these are for the very poor and there was no plans to build more. The housing choice for the average couples is limited.

Even now, if your household income is above $3k, you can only buy HDB 4-room flats direct from HDB. This requirement pushes many couples earning not much to swallow a bigger mortage than they can afford.

When effects of govt's bad housing policy began to show up, it would always be the people made a bad investment decision. The govt got nothing to do with this mess and its all the people's fault.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
ppl wana buy cheaper + smaller hdb also hoping heaven will drop some $ for them to afford. those waiting for punggol housing, hoping to smell a bit of the punggol 21 air, also have to wait long long liao.

if have to wait 3-5yrs for a hdb, ppl can wait so long meh? many ppl ROM liao, waiting for the hdb, then in the meantime stay with parents. waiting for the hdb to ready, then host the chinese wedding, then officially move into hdb.

as long as newly wed never move into their own hdb, how to expect them to so fast make baby?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So many rules buy flat from HDB. Should make it Simple like regardless race,income,married/single. A person can only buy one time from HDB. 2nd time buyer need to buy from open/resales market. A person can only own one HDB property at anytime.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, and I regret a lot of buggers holding my same typr of IC gave some people the power to price HDB flats beyond their value.

No possile. If flats are priced beyond their value, nobody will buy them e.g. the Senkang flats in the late 1990s when the HDB prices were above the resal prices.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ppl wana buy cheaper + smaller hdb also hoping heaven will drop some $ for them to afford. those waiting for punggol housing, hoping to smell a bit of the punggol 21 air, also have to wait long long liao.

??? Hoping heaven drop money? I thought the usual way is work and save money to pay for housing. However, while I agree with the principle that people should work for their own money to afford their own housing, I also think that the PAP is making housing more and more unaffordable.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
??? Hoping heaven drop money? I thought the usual way is work and save money to pay for housing. However, while I agree with the principle that people should work for their own money to afford their own housing, I also think that the PAP is making housing more and more unaffordable.

If mass retrenchments took place in the second half and a lot of PRs and locals who borrowed heavily from banks for their HDB flats lost their rice bowls, there would be a lot of foreclosures too. Speculators and those who over stretched themselves to buy private properties would be in this same category.

A mini sub-prime crises may then erupt in s'pore.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe u should say is they profiteering. now they sipeh smart liao. HDB no longer building the HDB, they open for tender. supplier charge price + 7% GST, then sub-con charge fee + 7% GST, then main-con charge fee + 7% GST. so at the end, ppl buy HDB pay price of house + (3 x 7% GST) + 7% GST.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe u should say is they profiteering. now they sipeh smart liao. HDB no longer building the HDB, they open for tender. supplier charge price + 7% GST, then sub-con charge fee + 7% GST, then main-con charge fee + 7% GST. so at the end, ppl buy HDB pay price of house + (3 x 7% GST) + 7% GST.

But if a company is a GST-registered company, it can claim back GST on their tax returns, so that one transaction broken down into several transactions (e.g. principle to agent to sub-agent to client) will only result in one GST being collected. Isn't that so?

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
But if a company is a GST-registered company, it can claim back GST on their tax returns, so that one transaction broken down into several transactions (e.g. principle to agent to sub-agent to client) will only result in one GST being collected. Isn't that so?
the GST can claim is 1 side of the story only. the GST along the food chain also add up to the costs, so when come to retail, the value also much higher than suppose to. the 1 that suffer is the end consumer = we all.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
the GST can claim is 1 side of the story only. the GST along the food chain also add up to the costs, so when come to retail, the value also much higher than suppose to. the 1 that suffer is the end consumer = we all.

You may have the misconception that if there are 5 GST registered suppliers along the food chain, the GST paid is five times. The GST system only collects the 7% from the final consumer and the intermediaries are given rebates.

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal

Honest mistake :mad: :(