• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United 2015-2016

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: I only worked with 4 world class players - Sir Alex Ferguson

Man United hijack PSG striker bid with £10.9m-a-year contract offer to lethal frontman

MANCHESTER UNITED are ready to offer Robert Lewandowski £10.9m-a-year to become their new star frontman.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ct-offer-Robert-Lewandowski-Bayern-Munich-PSG

5671adea46c54_GettyImages501081130.jpg

LEW BETTER BELIEVE IT: United are reportedly keen on landing Bayern star Lewandowski

German outlet SportBild claim French moneybags Paris St-Germain have offered the Poland international a mega deal to join them in the summer. But they add United are ready to hijack the Parisian outfit's bid in an attempt to bring the player to Old Trafford.

Real Madrid are also said to be keen on the player who arrived at Bayern Munich on a free transfer in the summer of 2014. Lewandowski has fired 15 goals in 13 games to send the Bavarian giants to the top of the German league.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United board to meet over players' unhappiness with Louis van Gaal

MANCHESTER UNITED'S board are becoming increasingly concerned with Louis van Gaal's relationship with his players.

The Sun reported this morning that three separate first-team stars had confronted Van Gaal about his playing style and the Red Devils' tactics.

United players are also said to be concerned about boring and repetitive training sessions.

And now ESPN say sources have told them that the club's hierarchy are starting to sit up and take note of the toxic atmosphere around the club.

They report that some members of the first team have spoken directly to club chiefs in private about their frustration with the Dutchman.

ESPN also say that United bigwigs will address the situation before the transfer window opens on January 1 in a bid to sort out the problems.

It's been a bad couple of weeks for United as their tepid 0-0 draw with West Ham and 2-1 defeat to Bournemouth was punctuated by their exit from the Champions League.

United had been prepared to back Van Gaal with more money next month but ESPN report that they are rethinking that plan given the uncertainty around the 64-year-old's position.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/481806/Manchester-United-news-Louis-van-Gaal-atmosphere?

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Edward Woodward and the Glazer Brothers, make that call to José Mourinho.

He's waiting for your call.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He should be, with latest disastrous do at home in OT :(

Manchester United: Louis Van Gaal 'worried' about future

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has said he is "worried" about his job after a shock 2-1 loss to Norwich.

The result handed United a third defeat in a row in all competitions and are now winless in six games.
Cameron Jerome and Alex Tettey netted for the visitors, while Anthony Martial replied for the hosts.

Asked if he feared for his position, van Gaal said: "Yes of course I am worried about that because I know that belief in a manager is very important."

The Dutchman, 64, could not give a definite answer when asked if he will be given time to turn the situation around at Old Trafford.

"Yes I think so but I never know, in this world, you never know. It is not up to me, but we shall see," he added.

'I am - or shall I say was - a successful manager'
Assistant manager Ryan Giggs barked out instructions from the touchline against Norwich, while manager Louis van Gaal sat on the bench. Van Gaal is out of contract at the end of the 2016-17 season and there has been speculation that Jose Mourinho will become the next United manager after being sacked by Chelsea on Thursday.

The Portuguese says he wants an immediate return to management and has been linked with the Old Trafford job, as has Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola who is to clarify his own future on Sunday.

"That's the football world. I know that, my board knows that, my players know that," van Gaal said when asked if the pressure was building on him.
"I don't think a change of management shall bring direct success - but that is what I believe. Maybe that is not so interesting.
"I am always evaluating myself because I think that is an aspect of the philosophy I have. But the philosophy is also making an evolution - I am not the same coach I was 25 years ago.
"So, you are always evaluating and of course that philosophy is very important for me. Because of that I am - or maybe I have to say now, was - a very successful manager."

'It was not good enough'
Man Utd not good enough - Van Gaal. Defeat meant Manchester United have now gone six games in all competitions without victory for the first time since 1998.

United had 70% possession against Norwich, but could only muster two shots on target as they were booed off by their own supporters.

The Red Devils face a testing festive period, starting on Boxing Day against Stoke at the Britannia Stadium, before they host Chelsea at Old Trafford two days later. They then face managerless Swansea on 2 January.

Van Gaal added: "The main thing is that you have to be professional and do the things that you have to do and work very hard to come out of this bad period.

"It was not good enough. You have to win against Norwich. We know that. Now we prepare for the Stoke game with professionalism and spirit, that is the only message I can give [to you]."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35143053

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Several newspapers are reporting that manager Louis van Gaal will be sacked if Manchester United lose to Stoke on Boxing Day. (Various)

Jose Mourinho holds talks with Manchester United as Louis van Gaal is on his way out of Old Trafford

LOUIS VAN GAAL is on his way out of Manchester United after contact was made with Jose Mourinho.

SunSport understands United spoke to an intermediary about Mourinho even before Saturday’s defeat to Norwich.

Van Gaal could now be gone before the Boxing Day game at Stoke. At best, he will have that plus the home clash with Chelsea next Monday to keep his job.

Mourinho has made it clear he wants straight back into football following his departure from Chelsea last week.
And the Portuguese boss — who pulled out of attending Frank Lampard’s wedding to Christine Bleakley to head for a meeting, would love the United job.

Van Gaal still had the faith of the United board a fortnight ago but there has been a shift following three successive defeats.

They have now not won in six games, are out of the Champions League and are nine points behind leaders Leicester in fifth spot in the Premier League.

The fans are also in open revolt. One poll on a fan website yesterday had 88 per cent wanting Van Gaal out now and Mourinho in.

Van Gaal sounded like a defeated man after Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at home to struggling Norwich.
He said he feared the sack and that the belief in him at Old Trafford was on the slide.
Later he tried to be a little more bullish, claiming he still believed he had the support of the board and the players.

That, however, is not totally the case any more.
And there is a growing mood for a change at the very highest level.

United have backed LVG to the tune of £250million in the transfer market but after finishing fourth last term there are signs things are going backwards.

Van Gaal said he had only the briefest conversation with executive vice chairman Ed Woodward after the loss to Norwich.
And he added: “The most important support is from the players.
“It is always like that because the chemistry between the players and the manager and his staff is very important.
“The belief of the fans in the manager is also very important.
“We have lost three matches in a row and their belief has been tested — and it shall decrease.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6816025/Louis-van-Gaal-faces-up-to-a-nightmare-Christmas-with-Manchester-United.html

Last edited:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal

What the club needs is restructuring and stability. About time Woodward do something about it or get out. Jose may be a good motivator but I beg to differ that he's the silver bullet United needs. Seriously though anyone is better than LVG. Fark the Dutchman!!!!!:oIo:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Odds today, in aftermath of JM and bets on LVG :p

Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Louis van Gaal: Where next?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35152888

_87321862_managers1_getty.jpg

Phil McNulty, CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER, BBC SPORT

Chelsea's sacking of Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola's decision to leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season leaves two of the world's elite managers on the open market.

And now, to add to the intrigue, Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is fighting to save his job after the home loss to Norwich City left him admitting he was worried about his future after six games without a win that also saw them eliminated from the Champions League.

So the pieces of world football's managerial jigsaw have been shaken in the box - where will they all fall into place?

Manchester United

The contenders

Jose Mourinho
The 52-year-old Portuguese has long been linked with Old Trafford and was in the board's thoughts when Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 but had already committed to a return to Chelsea.

Mourinho has the double appeal of being not only readily available but also having the status of Premier League title winner just seven months ago at Stamford Bridge.

The pragmatic style he employs may take some getting used to, or even tailoring at the 'Theatre of Dreams', but he is ready to return immediately and will have a point to prove after his Chelsea exit.
RATING (likelihood of it happening): 8/10.

Pep Guardiola
Where next for Pep Guardiola?
The most coveted coaching name in world football and available at the end of the season - it is almost inconceivable he will not have been discussed as United plan for the future. He was another considered when Ferguson left but he never returned their call.

The 44-year-old Spaniard, who won two Champions Leagues at Barcelona, would be the dream choice at Old Trafford - among many other places - but there is the lingering belief he is destined to join old Nou Camp cohorts Tziki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano at Manchester City.

United may still hold appeal but would the club make the call knowing they might end up looking like they have been snubbed for their neighbours?
RATING: 7

Louis van Gaal
Man Utd not good enough - Van Gaal
Van Gaal, 64, was regarded as the man to bring stability and progress to the chaos left behind by the brief and dismal reign of David Moyes in succession to Ferguson.

The Dutchman also brought iron will and discipline. Van Gaal's first season, while not sparkling, could be considered a success as he restored United to the Premier League's top four and back to the Champions League.

Despite his spending in excess of £250m, Van Gaal has looked a manager out of time, seemingly at odds with his joyless players and increasingly receiving the ire of fans because of that toxic football combination of dull performances and bad results.

While the Champions League exit may not have delivered the fatal blow, poor league results and a general air of discontent around Old Trafford has put Van Gaal on the brink.

He will need a big turnaround to survive in the short-term and, despite United's best intentions, is unlikely to last the full term of his contract until the end of next season.
RATING: 5

Ryan Giggs
_87321868_manchesterunitedassistantmanagerryangiggs_getty.jpg

Manchester United assistant manager Ryan Giggs is a contender for the top job if Louis van Gaal leaves his post

The continuity candidate and a graduate from Old Trafford's 'Class Of '92', Giggs has been the quietest second fiddle, sitting silently next to Van Gaal as his assistant but with the dictatorial Dutchman making all the calls.

The Welshman has long been touted as a future United manager, but is the 42-year-old - who made a record 963 appearances for the club, winning 13 titles, four FA Cups and two Champions Leagues among 34 trophies - up to the job?

Giggs might be the romantic choice of some United fans but he has no full-time managerial experience and no body of work to suggest he would be a success in this toughest and most demanding of environments.

Has he actually moved further away from the United manager's job than closer to it while sitting next to Van Gaal?
RATING: 6

VERDICT: Van Gaal is struggling and seemingly near the end of the line. Mourinho is available and letting it be known to all of the world's biggest clubs that he is awaiting the call? Mourinho to Manchester United is starting to look the next big managerial move.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Heat is on LVG. With more on on rumour mill :p

_87333192_cc64100b-94a4-4512-935c-4225afa3bd61.jpg

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What the club needs is restructuring and stability. About time Woodward do something about it or get out. Jose may be a good motivator but I beg to differ that he's the silver bullet United needs. Seriously though anyone is better than LVG. Fark the Dutchman!!!!!:oIo:

I kind of agree with you on Mourinho. He carries alot of baggage with him and his boorish behaviour could damage Man Utd's reputation. I think Woodward would have discussed this with him at thier 'meeting'. He got away with a lot of nonsense at Stamford bridge which would certainly be unacceptable at OT and has a reputation of not developing youth talent from grassroots - something United have a strong tradition in promoting.

I also fear for Juan Mata if Mourinho takes over. I rate the Spainard quite highly but Mourinho does not and will most likely off load him.

That said, of all the available managers, he seems the best choice if Guardiola moves to City.

As for LvG, he will be gone if they lose to Stoke which leaves a potential mouth watering prospect of Mourinho facing Chelsea as Man Utd manager 2 days later!

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Louis van Gaal edging closer to the Manchester United axe

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ging-closer-to-the-Manchester-United-axe.html

LOUIS VAN GAAL is even closer to the axe at Manchester United.

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was locked in a meeting at the club’s London HQ yesterday.
Yet there was no announcement last night and manager Van Gaal is still due to hold a press conference at the training ground today.

Jose Mourinho is favourite to replace him and last night his agent Jorge Mendes refused to deny there had been talks with United.
He said: “We don’t know what will happen in the future but right now there is no agreement. There isn’t an official proposal either.”

LVG was at Carrington yesterday to prepare the team for the Boxing Day trip to Stoke.

But his time is running out after three successive defeats and six games without a win.

It appeared last night that the United board, dominated by the Glazer family, was uncertain whether LVG should be dismissed immediately or given a stay of execution.

But Alex Ferguson is understood not to have been involved in the high-level discussions. It has fuelled the belief that he has been sidelined in the wake of championing David Moyes as his initial successor.

Eight bookmakers have suspended betting on Dutchman Van Gaal being the next Prem boss to go.

And United skipper Wayne Rooney is so unhappy at the situation that he has called a meeting of the players.
But Van Gaal could still survive if United sense any chance they could lure Pep Guardiola in the summer, persuading him to turn his back on both Manchester City and Chelsea and choose them after Bayern Munich.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The key questions the Glazers need to answer as they weigh up sacking Louis van Gaal
Manchester United owners debating whether to swing axe and bring in Jose Mourinho

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-as-they-weigh-up-sacking-Louis-van-Gaal.html

MANCHESTER UNITED’S owners are discussing whether they can afford to keep faith with Louis van Gaal as manager.
Avram and Joel Glazer are locked in
talks with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward about making a change at the top and bringing in Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford.

Mourinho has given an indication he would be willing to take charge — now the Glazers just need to decide whether the time is right to axe Van Gaal.

And at the heart of their thoughts are four key questions they have about their current manager.

Has he lost the dressing room?
The United dressing room is not the same as the one at Chelsea and has less temperamental players, and so far there have been few signs of major player inrest.

But there are worrying signs the team is not performing for Van Gaal and there is little evidence of a happy camp either.
The dressing room hasn’t gone completely in the manner it did at Chelsea.

Does he know what his best side is?
In fairness to Van Gaal, his plans have been hampered by injuries to players like Luke Shaw and Michael Carrick.
But there appears to be a lack of consistency in his team selections. Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata have been shifted around, and who knows what he really thinks of Ander Herrera.

Midfield has rarely been a settled area, and it is unclear who his preferred team would be in the biggest matches. Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Fellaini?

The answer to this question is probably no.

Are his tactics wrong?
There has been a growing frustration all season that Van Gaal’s tactics are too slow, too cautious and not attacking enough.
His recent treatment of Anthony Martial has raised eyebrows, playing the striker wide out on the wing where he is least effective.

United haven’t looked well balanced as a team this season, and though some things can be attributed to injuries, the manager should be able to produce consistent performances at the very least.

That hasn’t been evident, and some players clearly look confused as to what their jobs are supposed to be.

Can we trust him to make good signings?
Van Gaal has been backed to the tune of £300million on players, but his signings haven’t exactly set the world alight.

Angel Di Maria came in for £60m, and lasted only a year before being offloaded to PSG at a £15m loss. And £16m defender Marcos Rojo hasn’t looked too impressive in his rare spells clear of injury.

Van Gaal placed a lot of emphasis on signing Daley Blind, a player he knew well from Holland duty, but though committed, he has been exposed at times this season defensively.

United look to have paid vastly over the odds for £25m Memphis Depay, who has made a limited impact at Old Trafford, and the big investment in midfield in Morgan Schneiderlin and Bastian Schweinsteiger has to be questioned.

Van Gaal’s record on making signings who make a difference has to be questioned.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the Dickens is going on?

_54554549_mann,alistair.jpg
By Alistair MannBBC Match of the Day commentator

Match of the Day commentator Alistair Mann has penned a Christmas poem ahead of watching Manchester United's crucial Premier League game against Stoke on Boxing Day:

What the Dickens is going on?
It's Christmas Eve in Carrington and darkness has descended
While for others long since home, their working day has ended,
A man sits down he's deep in thought, his coat says "LVG"
For him so much to ponder, is it time for 4-3-3?

People say its crisis point, that things have all gone wrong
He feels that he can turn it round, he's resolute and strong.
A career that has been glittering, in Spain and Holland too,
But now he sits there wondering exactly what to do.

Then suddenly a flash of light, a ghostly vision nears
A blast of hairdryer heated air, a sagely man appears.
"Come on son, now's not the time to brood and moan and grieve
Instead be sure and confident and in yourself believe.

It's not a time for fairy tales, Scrooge or Mary Poppins
You need a change of fortune son, for me it was Mark Robins!
Things turned round dramatically with Giggsy, Becks and Scholes
We didn't deal in goalless draws, just bulging sacks of goals!

So now's the time to gamble son, you have your latest mission
Remember the United way cos we've a strong tradition.
The lessons from the past are clear, whenever you look back
For us the best form of defence, attack, attack, attack!"

With that another bang and crash, and standing in his place
Another apparition with a most familiar face.
Donned in stripes of red and white, he says," The name is Hughes,
I hear our game this weekend you can't afford to lose!

This fairground ride we're sitting on it never seems to stop,
Off went Rodgers, Advocaat and on came Sam and Klopp.
So I'll be waiting Saturday with Bojan and Shaqiri."
Then he laughed, began to fade, the atmosphere was eerie.

There then emerged another flash and bang his face had gone
And standing there a different man, "I am the special one.
Only a few months ago I achieved the double,
Then a string of bad results and boy was I in trouble!

Instead I sit here menacing but not to poke or tease,
But I've just heard Old Trafford might be going Portuguese!
It could be me, or maybe not, just don't fail at Britannia,
Instead a Pep talk could be next, e Viva its Espana!"

Then suddenly the Dutchman woke, it was a crazy dream,
And United after all still remained his team.
"Ah," he sighed, "all these reports, they're just a cruel joke,
There's no way my fate depends just on the match at Stoke."

……….or does it?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This hoo-hah was even played on FM90.5 this morning :p

Louis van Gaal: Manchester United boss walks out of news conference
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35166770

Under-pressure Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal answered only three questions before walking out of a news conference on Wednesday.

The 64-year-old Dutchman was unhappy at being asked about his future following speculation that he could be sacked.
The media briefing, ahead of Saturday's game at Stoke, lasted only five minutes before Van Gaal's departure.

The former Netherlands boss said he had only turned up to speak to journalists because of Premier League rules.
As he left, he told the reporters: "I wish you a merry Christmas and maybe also a happy new year when I see you. Enjoy the wine and a mince pie. Goodbye."

United are without a win in six games, having lost their last three matches to Wolfsburg, Bournemouth and Norwich.
You can read a full transcript of Van Gaal's news conference at the bottom of this page.

Four minutes and 58 seconds

_87364973_gettyimages-502342812.jpg

Van Gaal wasted little time making his feelings known

Van Gaal was in an angry mood from the moment he took his seat in the media room at the club's training ground in Carrington.

"Has anybody in this room not a feeling to apologise to me? That's what I'm wondering," he responded after being asked about Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger's earlier claim that speculation about Van Gaal's future had been "disrespectful".

The news conference lasted only four minutes and 58 seconds in total. Van Gaal, who has also managed Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich, is halfway through his three-year Old Trafford contract.

Reluctant appearance

Van Gaal said his family and friends had been adversely affected by the criticism, amid rumours that sacked Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is poised to replace him.

"What do you think happens with my wife or my kids?" he snapped.
"Or with my grandchildren? Or with the fans of Manchester United? Or my friends? What do you think?
"So you think that I want to talk with the media now. I am here only because of the Premier League rules. I have to talk with you."

_87365100_gettyimages-502342832.jpg

Van Gaal wanted to know why the media were not apologising

Mourinho speculation

Van Gaal is under pressure following United's dip in league form and early exit from the Champions League.
The club are fifth in the table, below fourth-placed Tottenham on goal difference but nine points behind surprise leaders Leicester.

Chelsea's sacking of Mourinho, 52 - who has been tipped as a possible replacement - has only intensified the pressure on Van Gaal.

News conference transcript

Question 1: "Louis, thank you for your time. Arsene Wenger has said today that the speculation over your future is disrespectful. Is that something you agree with?"
Answer: "Erm, has anybody in this room not a feeling to apologise to me? Nobody has that feeling? That's what I'm wondering?"

Question 2: "What have we done wrong?"
Answer: "I think I was already sacked, I have read... I have been sacked. My colleague [replacement] was here already.
"What do you think that happens with my wife or with my kids or with my grandchildren or with the fans of Manchester United or my friends? What do you think? They have called me a lot of times and also Arsene Wenger is saying something about that.
"Do you think that I want to talk with the media now? I'm here only because of the Premier League rules. I have to talk with you. But I can only see when I say something that you use my words in your context.
"I want to say only that I have tried to lift the confidence of my players, I have done everything this week. I hold meetings, evaluation meetings with the players, with my members of staff, I hold a Christmas lunch, I have held a speech and I feel the warmth and support of everybody in Carrington, this Aon training complex.
"But I didn't feel that in the media and, of course, I can imagine that you can write about that subject. We are not in a good position but four weeks ago we were first in the Premier League and in about four weeks we can again be back in that position.

Question 3: "You have been though Louis at big clubs, huge clubs before. This is Manchester United and when results don't go well and when the supporters have turned it is inevitable that speculation will happen. You surely aren't surprised that there is speculation?"
Answer: "No, I don't think that you can do that because you have to stick by the facts and when I get calls from [former manager Sir] Alex Ferguson and [director] David Gill and [executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward because you are creating something that is not good, that is not being the facts and now I have to answer the questions.
"I don't think that I want to do it. I only say now I am focused on Stoke City, I help my players, I wish you a merry Christmas and maybe also a happy new year when I see you. Enjoy the wine and a mince pie. Goodbye."

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United ready to poach Pep Guardiola as Ed Woodward looks to muscle in ahead of Manchester City and Chelsea

• Pep Guardiola will leave Bayern Munich this summer to spark a scramble
  • Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United all want to sign top boss
  • Ed Woodward's dream ticket is Guardiola ahead of a Jose Mourinho move
  • Louis van Gaal is being judged on a game-by-game basis after poor run
  • But Woodward would prefer to sack under-pressure boss in the summer
By NEIL ASHTON FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 22:30 GMT, 23 December 2015 | UPDATED: 00:04 GMT, 24 December 2015

Manchester United are ready to muscle in on Manchester City and Chelsea's bid to lure Pep Guardiola to the Barclays Premier League.

United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who is reluctant to fire Louis van Gaal following a run of six games without a win, has the outgoing Bayern Munich manager in his sights. Van Gaal's future is so precarious that he is being judged on a game-by-game basis as manager, but United would prefer to wait until the summer to fire him.

Guardiola piled the pressure on United and Chelsea by making it clear that he is not prepared to spend a season out of the Champions League when he makes his next move.

United fell out of the top four when they lost at home to Norwich City last weekend and Chelsea are languishing in 15th place, 11 points off a Champions League place.

Although Jose Mourinho is still angling for one of the biggest club jobs in football, Woodward does not want to be dictated to by the sacked Chelsea manager.

United also have serious reservations about Mourinho's renowned lack of interest in helping to bring through young academy players, a factor that is viewed as particularly important for a club with a proud history of encouraging homegrown talent.
Mourinho is an instant-fix for United if they are forced to fire Van Gaal, who was the Portuguese coach's mentor at Barcelona, but the dream ticket is Guardiola again.

Guardiola turned down the job when David Moyes was fired in 2013 and Diego Simeone, their second choice at the time, also opted to remain with Atletico Madrid. Woodward had to settle for Van Gaal.

United travel to Stoke City on Boxing Day following attempts by the manager and the dressing room to broker a peace deal ahead of their trip to the Britannia Stadium.

Sportsmail revealed on Wednesday that four United players - Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Chris Smalling and Juan Mata - had been the most vocal members of the group during a volatile meeting with the beleaguered United manager.

Woodward's reputation is hanging on Van Gaal making a success of the job, but he is in danger of falling short of expectations following a poor run of results.
He met his target in the first season when he took the club back into the Champions League, but he is in danger of falling short of this season's targets.

United expected Van Gaal to qualify for the Champions League knockout phase as a bare minimum, as well as finishing in the top three of the Premier League. They were kicked out of the Champions League in the group phase after a shocking performance in the 3-2 defeat at Wolfsburg in the final game.

Van Gaal can still finish in the top four of the Premier League, but he is now being judged game by game by the United board.