• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man U vs L'pool: 14 Mar 09

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, Reds still lack the strength in depth that both United and Chelsea have more so United this season. United shall probably still retain the EPL title. Perhaps another 2 Defenders and 2 Strikers/Wingers of top quality are required to see the Reds finally win the EPL title, hopefully next season.

Oh and agree, Reds stand a good chance of going thorugh in a CL tie against United.
Pool has got a long way more to go. They are getting there, but not good enough. Consistency is the key here, which is something very lacking in their performance. I feel that next season may stand a greater chance for them to win the BPL, especially when they have experienced the pressure, counting down from 10 games to the finish line.

ManURE supporters, be gracious when you lose. Draw blood? Anytime. CL if pool draws ManURE, first leg away for pool will be a 2-1 win, home leg will be a closer fight. Looking at a draw for me. :smile:

Pool, if they meet ManURE in the next draw, will move on to the semis.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please do not be a sore loser like Fergie ok:rolleyes: Vidic cocked up with both Torres(1st) and Gerrard (red card), while both outplayed Vidic with pure class. Aurelio's goal was pure class as well not forgetting Dossena's icing on the cake (4th). On the day the Reds were the overall better team and that is a fact.:wink:

credit where credit is due. if i had been a sore loser, i would have said pool deserved NOTHING from the game, yes? yes they won this game and the RM one with almost the same scoreline, but it was pretty damn obvious they weren't the better team in this one as in the last by a mile. to be fair, both teams were evenly matched the first half, while in the second before the red card, pool were just sitting back and playing as they did in the 90s. utd created chances which they spurned and i think pool were also lucky that vidic choose this game to fuck up when he has been rock solid the whole season. think i'm being as objective as possible here, no? :smile:

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
credit where credit is due. if i had been a sore loser, i would have said pool deserved NOTHING from the game, yes? yes they won this game and the RM one with almost the same scoreline, but it was pretty damn obvious they weren't the better team in this one as in the last by a mile. to be fair, both teams were evenly matched the first half, while in the second before the red card, pool were just sitting back and playing as they did in the 90s. utd created chances which they spurned and i think pool were also lucky that vidic choose this game to fuck up when he has been rock solid the whole season. think i'm being as objective as possible here, no? :smile:

Sorry to derail your comfort, if there's any. But Vidic, being a professional himself, is rather stupid. The way he manhandled Gerrard is no excuse for that & deservedly got himself sent off.
Whether if pool sat back with a 2-1 lead is an understatement. Pool went for the kill as evident with Gerrard spearheading that attack until Vidic's folly. And the best part, Aurelio punished MU with a freekick that left Van Der Sar rooted & dumbfounded. Need I add on more?
The only consolation is that Fergie kept his mouth shut.

kelvin

Alfrescian
Loyal
the strange thing is that the scoreline (1-4)
is the same as the Date "14" !~!
i.e One-Four?????????
???:confused:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry but I still think you are subjectively biased in favour of the Red Devils. You gotta look at the match as a whole, and as a whole and on balance the Reds were the better team on the day and that is a fact. Heck I gather even the United website had to censor Fergie's bias comments that United were the "better team" on the day.

credit where credit is due. if i had been a sore loser, i would have said pool deserved NOTHING from the game, yes? yes they won this game and the RM one with almost the same scoreline, but it was pretty damn obvious they weren't the better team in this one as in the last by a mile. to be fair, both teams were evenly matched the first half, while in the second before the red card, pool were just sitting back and playing as they did in the 90s. utd created chances which they spurned and i think pool were also lucky that vidic choose this game to fuck up when he has been rock solid the whole season. think i'm being as objective as possible here, no?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moreover this one was done without the Reds taking advantage of being a man up, because Aurelio's goal was taken straight after Vidic's red card.

Whether if pool sat back with a 2-1 lead is an understatement. Pool went for the kill as evident with Gerrard spearheading that attack until Vidic's folly. And the best part, Aurelio punished MU with a freekick that left Van Der Sar rooted & dumbfounded. .

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to derail your comfort, if there's any. But Vidic, being a professional himself, is rather stupid. The way he manhandled Gerrard is no excuse for that & deservedly got himself sent off.
Whether if pool sat back with a 2-1 lead is an understatement. Pool went for the kill as evident with Gerrard spearheading that attack until Vidic's folly. And the best part, Aurelio punished MU with a freekick that left Van Der Sar rooted & dumbfounded. Need I add on more?

stop talking with your arse, liverpool does not play attacking football ever, you only sit back and hope for the best, just because your gerard who was absent the whole game tried to make one getaway, you try to mask that off as pool going for the kill. a lucky opp appear for you and that's all. o/w none of them were attacking. you should keep your mouth shut

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
stop talking with your arse, liverpool does not play attacking football ever, you only sit back and hope for the best, just because your gerard who was absent the whole game tried to make one getaway, you try to mask that off as pool going for the kill. a lucky opp appear for you and that's all. o/w none of them were attacking. you should keep your mouth shut

Sit back, hope for the best, whatever.

Final score 1-4. There's no 2 way about it. Liverpool make a mincemeat out of MU. Though Tevezz, Rooney & Ronaldo huff & puff, but they couldnt find the key to unlock Pool's defense well marshalled by Sktrel, Carragher & hyppia.

Fool of the match - Vidic.

Buddy, you guys lost the plot. Why dont u admit it? Tell u what, why dont u get Alex to make it up next season lor......

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sit back, hope for the best, whatever.

Final score 1-4. There's no 2 way about it. Liverpool make a mincemeat out of MU. Though Tevezz, Rooney & Ronaldo huff & puff, but they couldnt find the key to unlock Pool's defense well marshalled by Sktrel, Carragher & hyppia.

Fool of the match - Vidic.

Buddy, you guys lost the plot. Why dont u admit it? Tell u what, why dont u get Alex to make it up next season lor......

haizzzz.... it is you who is conceding defeat and admiting that your loserfool was sitting back and hoping for the best.. then you have to find comfort in the scoreline again because the truth is you losers have no plot, your season is already over and no trophies and therefore, it's you who have to try and make it up the next season.

you see there is a difference between class and form. the former you dun have and the latter you are have a slight edge for time being (some oso call this TAI-KO)...that is the difference....see how uncle can analyse and teach all of you something

Last edited:

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure or not? That ungracious loser wanker Fergie had the cheek to say that United were still the better team on the day. What match was Fergie watching?:rolleyes:

Man Utd had more possession, more shots, more corners, more everything. LiverPOO played long balls to Torres all game and scored two LUCKY goals from those 2 long balls, along with two goals from set pieces. It's not like Man Utd were out-played by LiverPOO's good passing or anything like that. So in theory Sir Alex was right, as he always has been for past 23 years.
Man Utd will still win the league so don't get carried away by a flattered scoreline in a inconsequential match.
Billions in one FLUKE result do happen once in a while. Remember ISTANBUL 05!:rolleyes:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
STELLAR SHOW BY FAITHFUL TORRES ECLIPSES RONALDO
The Independent 17 March 2009

Was it really just that Rafa Benitez picked up Sir Alex Ferguson, put him in his pocket, and administered the mother of all tactical tours de force?

Or could it also have been of some significance that Cristiano Ronaldo, the reigning world player of the year, was at times made to look like an inconsequential bit player beside his potential successor Fernando Torres?

Naturally, given all the previous, the Benitez-Ferguson issue had most play, and certainly it is true that the master of Anfield's deployment of both Torres and Steven Gerrard achieved a remarkable coup in the disintegration, for a day at least, of Nemanja Vidic.

But then we can go only so far with Benitez versus Ferguson, partly because the Liverpool manager, except for urging potential allies to attack the centre of United's defence with as much resource as they can muster for the rest of the season, largely resisted the urge to give back some of the recent ridicule aimed at him by the Old Trafford commander.

Their rival achievements and strengths are well enough established to override any sweeping conclusions based on a single match between the teams, including the theory that Vidic has necessarily been diminished to the point that he is no longer one of his team's greatest strengths but suddenly a most glaring weakness.

Less speculative is the fact that Benitez has in Torres a brilliant centrepiece to all his hopes while Ferguson in Ronaldo does not. Certainly not for so much of a season which some expected to be nothing so much as an extended coronation; nor, on current evidence, in the foreseeable future.

No doubt there will be cries that this is harsh, especially when it is remembered that Ronaldo headed United beautifully into a secure position against Internazionale and then nosed United into the lead against Liverpool.

Yes, there is some danger of over-simplification, not least in the fact that if Torres received magnificent support from such as Gerrard and Javier Mascherano, Ronaldo was not exactly surrounded by optimum performance from his team-mates, either against Internazionale or Liverpool. Indeed, if you wanted to define United despair at the end of a week of considerable dishevelment it was probably the sight of Michael Carrick, arguably their most influential player this season, being withdrawn from the challenge of breaking down a Liverpool defence which had allegedly become slow enough to be charged with loitering.

However, there can be no dispute about the fact that against Real Madrid and United, Torres was nothing less than luminous as he made Fabio Cannavaro, Italy's captain and the man of the 2006 World Cup, look old and distraught, and then proceeded to undermine so severely the Player of the Year candidacy of Vidic. This was not so much a surge of form as confirmation of both superb talent and a burning competitive spirit.

Among his other woes, Ferguson could only have yearned for even hints of such commitment from his own superstar.

In a few weeks of fragile fitness Torres has become a fierce disciple of Benitez's cause. He wears a Liverpool heart on his sleeve, while, it it is difficult not to conclude, Ronaldo mostly sports one kind of advertisement or another for himself. Ferguson will no doubt bridle at this suggestion as much as the one that Benitez took him to the strategic and tactical cleaners, but the belief here is that it will be with less justification.

Whatever the undoubted cleverness of Benitez's work in Europe, where he twice left the messiah Jose Mourinho resorting to nothing more resourceful than long balls, he has never before been close to Ferguson's supreme quality of investing unbridled faith in his players.

This was most startling about Liverpool's eruption against both Real and United. Neither triumph was, whatever Benitez's most fervent admirers say, primarily about tactical pragmatism. They were the fruit of players operating at the peak of their powers. Torres and to an almost equal extent, Gerrard, played with a wonderful freedom and while Benitez can fairly claim that he has not often enough had both men available at the same time, there is also no great case for him, as there is for Ferguson, as a coach with an instinct for taking away the leash – at least until now.

For Ferguson the agony last week was the underperformance of players he has nurtured so relentlessly. While Torres flew, Ronaldo mostly fluttered. Yes, there are some considerable points to be made in defence of Ronaldo. In every game he attracts small battalions of markers. His physical resilience is remarkable, and, a glance at their records tells you, far more so than the injury-prone Spaniard. He remains, with the possible exception of Wayne Rooney, the United player most likely to produce a sublime intervention, as we saw last week when the two of them combined to snuff out the rising hopes of Mourinho.

So where is the most pressing point of comparison? It is in the sense of Torres' commitment, of a determination to inflict all that he has for the benefit of the team.

Torres and Gerrard are at present emitting it from their very pores. Lionel Messi, along with blinding virtuosity, is doing the same on behalf of Barcelona. But Ronaldo is not and this, surely, gives Ferguson quite as much concern as the fact that Vidic went missing for a day.

Ronaldo's absence, after all, has been rather more protracted – a fact illuminated by nothing so much as the passion of Fernando Torres.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
The last time a team did a double on United was just a couple of seasons ago-Arsenal. United then went on to win the EPL and Arse came in third.
Arse even lost the Mickey Mouse Cup to Chelsea in the Final.

Hmm.........:rolleyes::smile:

War Criminal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ronaldo throughout the whole match sucked. Everytime tried to do the same thing; dribble past the two pool players on his right flank. And everytime lost possession of the ball.

He is a far cry from last season. Now, instead of reliance on Ronaldo, they put their faith in Vidic.

The match underlined Man U's current over reliance on Vidic and that Van der Saar is no better a keeper than Cech or the rest; he simply has a very strong back 4 to keep clean sheets.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal

--

Sorry but I still think you are subjectively biased in favour of the Red Devils. You gotta look at the match as a whole, and as a whole and on balance the Reds were the better team on the day and that is a fact. Heck I gather even the United website had to censor Fergie's bias comments that United were the "better team" on the day.

Chill, my Pool-supporting friends. I'm not trying to discredit your team by implying that their win was fortuitous nor am I taking the side of Fergie. Perhaps you saw something during the game that I didn't but I honestly thought Utd were in the ascendency in the 2nd half before the dismissal, which I agree was stupid and self-inflicted. Perhaps you can enlighten me on how Pool 'went for the kill' as if memory serves me right, that was their first foray in the 2nd half? Not gonna adopt the tone of the other Utd supporters here and engage in a war of words - their points might be valid albeit masked in harsh words - instead let's have an intelligent debate here, shall we?

How was Pool's play so fantastic that it won such plaudits from its supporters? Was it the scoreline that inflated the feelings of joy far beyond what the play actually merited? I'm putting on my objective hat here again, and I think while a 1-1 draw or probably a 2-1 win for Pool might have been a fair result, surely 4-1 was way beyond what they deserved on the balance of play. Do give me your views and forgive me if the footy novice in me has offended or appeared bias again. I'm learning like everyone else! :smile:

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
Monsieur Rubirosa, your article doesn't say much, does it? We know for a fact how lethal the Gerrard-Torres combination is. What we didn't know was how someone who handn't put a foot wrong in ages would choose this particular occasion to gift-wrap two soft goals to the opposition. In no way am I villifying Vidic - indeed the whole team seemed perhaps lackadaisical at times - yet you have to admit in those two situations, on any other given day, you would have put your money on Vidic prevailing. I would, at least.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ronaldo throughout the whole match sucked. Everytime tried to do the same thing; dribble past the two pool players on his right flank. And everytime lost possession of the ball.

He is a far cry from last season. Now, instead of reliance on Ronaldo, they put their faith in Vidic.

The match underlined Man U's current over reliance on Vidic and that Van der Saar is no better a keeper than Cech or the rest; he simply has a very strong back 4 to keep clean sheets.

I dun think they expected Pool to double team on Ron and I believe they instructed O'Shea not to push up too often. It was similar with Evra. In so many words Fergie expected Pool to soak and counter. Ron did a decent job but I thot Fergie should have asked Ron and Rooney to switch flanks alot sooner.
It is probably a good thing that they are not relying on Ron for goals and no one including Fergie is blaming Ron for the goal drought.

I totally agree with your views on VDS.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chill, my Pool-supporting friends. I'm not trying to discredit your team by implying that their win was fortuitous nor am I taking the side of Fergie. Perhaps you saw something during the game that I didn't but I honestly thought Utd were in the ascendency in the 2nd half before the dismissal, which I agree was stupid and self-inflicted. Perhaps you can enlighten me on how Pool 'went for the kill' as if memory serves me right, that was their first foray in the 2nd half? Not gonna adopt the tone of the other Utd supporters here and engage in a war of words - their points might be valid albeit masked in harsh words - instead let's have an intelligent debate here, shall we?

How was Pool's play so fantastic that it won such plaudits from its supporters? Was it the scoreline that inflated the feelings of joy far beyond what the play actually merited? I'm putting on my objective hat here again, and I think while a 1-1 draw or probably a 2-1 win for Pool might have been a fair result, surely 4-1 was way beyond what they deserved on the balance of play. Do give me your views and forgive me if the footy novice in me has offended or appeared bias again. I'm learning like everyone else! :smile:

Hey there, obviously youre a novice in football tactics.
Have you seen some European teams plays?
When youre 1 or 2 up in your opponents ground, what is the next best thing to do? Shut shop & kill them on the break. You dont play attacking football. That's what the Gerrard & his maestros did. They sat back, absorb the pressure & watch MU tire themselves out while watching for any opening gaps.
There you have it, Lpool found that space & of coz silly Vidic did a rugby tackle which resulted with a beautiful left footer that left Der Sar rooted & bemused.
Which part of the ganme u didnt understand?

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man Utd had more possession, more shots, more corners, more everything. LiverPOO played long balls to Torres all game and scored two LUCKY goals from those 2 long balls, along with two goals from set pieces. It's not like Man Utd were out-played by LiverPOO's good passing or anything like that. So in theory Sir Alex was right, as he always has been for past 23 years.
Man Utd will still win the league so don't get carried away by a flattered scoreline in a inconsequential match.
Billions in one FLUKE result do happen once in a while. Remember ISTANBUL 05!:rolleyes:

DIUUUUUU............

I dont care whether MU has more corners, more shots at goal, more freekick, more possession & of coz more RED CARD (poor bastard that Vidic) but the score says MAN UTD 1 LIVERPOOL 4.

Do they give points if u have more shots at goal? No? Maybe an extra point for having a handsome player in the pitch? OOps that will be offsetted by the ugly mug of Rooney though.....

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
DIUUUUUU............

I dont care whether MU has more corners, more shots at goal, more freekick, more possession & of coz more RED CARD (poor bastard that Vidic) but the score says MAN UTD 1 LIVERPOOL 4.

Do they give points if u have more shots at goal? No? Maybe an extra point for having a handsome player in the pitch? OOps that will be offsetted by the ugly mug of Rooney though.....

oli oli 29,

you are just a dimwit making concessions after concessions and mistakes after mistakes, you say your pool is better team and now you conceding defeat again because you dun care now.... if you were more honest before, then you would simply have admitted that your poo were just taiko...haizzz...beat around the bush justto get back to square one...taiko jiu si taiko, no title means no title ....that's the reality

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
STELLAR SHOW BY FAITHFUL TORRES ECLIPSES RONALDO
The Independent 17 March 2009

Was it really just that Rafa Benitez picked up Sir Alex Ferguson, put him in his pocket, and administered the mother of all tactical tours de force?

Or could it also have been of some significance that Cristiano Ronaldo, the reigning world player of the year, was at times made to look like an inconsequential bit player beside his potential successor Fernando Torres?

Naturally, given all the previous, the Benitez-Ferguson issue had most play, and certainly it is true that the master of Anfield's deployment of both Torres and Steven Gerrard achieved a remarkable coup in the disintegration, for a day at least, of Nemanja Vidic.

But then we can go only so far with Benitez versus Ferguson, partly because the Liverpool manager, except for urging potential allies to attack the centre of United's defence with as much resource as they can muster for the rest of the season, largely resisted the urge to give back some of the recent ridicule aimed at him by the Old Trafford commander.

Their rival achievements and strengths are well enough established to override any sweeping conclusions based on a single match between the teams, including the theory that Vidic has necessarily been diminished to the point that he is no longer one of his team's greatest strengths but suddenly a most glaring weakness.

Less speculative is the fact that Benitez has in Torres a brilliant centrepiece to all his hopes while Ferguson in Ronaldo does not. Certainly not for so much of a season which some expected to be nothing so much as an extended coronation; nor, on current evidence, in the foreseeable future.

No doubt there will be cries that this is harsh, especially when it is remembered that Ronaldo headed United beautifully into a secure position against Internazionale and then nosed United into the lead against Liverpool.

Yes, there is some danger of over-simplification, not least in the fact that if Torres received magnificent support from such as Gerrard and Javier Mascherano, Ronaldo was not exactly surrounded by optimum performance from his team-mates, either against Internazionale or Liverpool. Indeed, if you wanted to define United despair at the end of a week of considerable dishevelment it was probably the sight of Michael Carrick, arguably their most influential player this season, being withdrawn from the challenge of breaking down a Liverpool defence which had allegedly become slow enough to be charged with loitering.

However, there can be no dispute about the fact that against Real Madrid and United, Torres was nothing less than luminous as he made Fabio Cannavaro, Italy's captain and the man of the 2006 World Cup, look old and distraught, and then proceeded to undermine so severely the Player of the Year candidacy of Vidic. This was not so much a surge of form as confirmation of both superb talent and a burning competitive spirit.

Among his other woes, Ferguson could only have yearned for even hints of such commitment from his own superstar.

In a few weeks of fragile fitness Torres has become a fierce disciple of Benitez's cause. He wears a Liverpool heart on his sleeve, while, it it is difficult not to conclude, Ronaldo mostly sports one kind of advertisement or another for himself. Ferguson will no doubt bridle at this suggestion as much as the one that Benitez took him to the strategic and tactical cleaners, but the belief here is that it will be with less justification.

Whatever the undoubted cleverness of Benitez's work in Europe, where he twice left the messiah Jose Mourinho resorting to nothing more resourceful than long balls, he has never before been close to Ferguson's supreme quality of investing unbridled faith in his players.

This was most startling about Liverpool's eruption against both Real and United. Neither triumph was, whatever Benitez's most fervent admirers say, primarily about tactical pragmatism. They were the fruit of players operating at the peak of their powers. Torres and to an almost equal extent, Gerrard, played with a wonderful freedom and while Benitez can fairly claim that he has not often enough had both men available at the same time, there is also no great case for him, as there is for Ferguson, as a coach with an instinct for taking away the leash – at least until now.

For Ferguson the agony last week was the underperformance of players he has nurtured so relentlessly. While Torres flew, Ronaldo mostly fluttered. Yes, there are some considerable points to be made in defence of Ronaldo. In every game he attracts small battalions of markers. His physical resilience is remarkable, and, a glance at their records tells you, far more so than the injury-prone Spaniard. He remains, with the possible exception of Wayne Rooney, the United player most likely to produce a sublime intervention, as we saw last week when the two of them combined to snuff out the rising hopes of Mourinho.

So where is the most pressing point of comparison? It is in the sense of Torres' commitment, of a determination to inflict all that he has for the benefit of the team.

Torres and Gerrard are at present emitting it from their very pores. Lionel Messi, along with blinding virtuosity, is doing the same on behalf of Barcelona. But Ronaldo is not and this, surely, gives Ferguson quite as much concern as the fact that Vidic went missing for a day.

Ronaldo's absence, after all, has been rather more protracted – a fact illuminated by nothing so much as the passion of Fernando Torres.

Through this thread and the discussions which are being thrown around, we can see once again which camp of the supporters are sore losers who doesn't know the meaning of accepting defeat with grace. :rolleyes: