• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man injured by the balloon maracas in the SG50 funpack

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/balloon-maracas-in-ndp/2006396.html?cid=twtcna

Singapore
[h=1]Balloon maracas in NDP funpack 'safe to use': Parade organisers[/h][h=2]The National Day Parade executive committee says the inflatable maracas has undergone quality control and safety checks, even though a message is circulating on social media suggesting otherwise.[/h]
  • POSTED: 24 Jul 2015 23:51
  • UPDATED: 24 Jul 2015 23:59

mr-garry-bor.png
Garry Bor says he was injured by the balloon maracas in the National Day Parade funpack.

• Email
  • More Sharing Services More

• A
    • A

SINGAPORE: Mr Garry Bor was playing with the balloon maracas in his SG50 funpack on Friday evening (Jul 24) when it suddenly burst. He said pellets within the toy hit him in the neck.

Speaking to Channel NewsAsia, the IT professional said he had seen a message going around on social media warning the public that the maracas could burst and cause injury, but simply dismissed it.
“I thought it was a rumour,” he said.

message-balloon-macara-data.jpg

Mr Bor said he was careful to inflate it to about 10cm wide. He added that had also taken note of the NDP committee’s announcement, calling on users to use the balloon maraca according to the instructions on the packaging.
“I was shocked and (felt) pain,” he said, when the balloon burst. “I could feel the pellets hit me on the neck.”

Mr Bor added that it was “lucky” the pellets only hit him underneath the chin. “It’s not going to kill anyone, but if it hits the eyes I think it will be quite bad,” he said.

The National Day Parade executive committee on Thursday put up a video on its Facebook page demonstrating how to inflate the balloon maracas, saying it was aware that messages on the safety of the toys are being circulated.

“The manufacturer assures that the balloon maracas have gone through careful testing for quality control and is safe for use,” they wrote. “Notwithstanding, we urge users to use the LED balloon maracas in accordance to the instructions on the packaging and avoid overinflating the balloon.”

- CNA/dl