• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LVG & Tim Krul are stoopig cocks if semi final match goes into PSO

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Argentina would have been aware by then. :biggrin:

5639321.png

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: We told Krul about penalty ploy - but not Cillessen

432523_heroa.jpg

Jul 6, 2014 1:38:00 AM

The Oranje coach has explained that the Newcastle goalkeeper knew he would be called upon for spot-kicks but his first-choice shot-stopper had been left out of the loop

By Mark Doyle in Salvador

Louis van Gaal has revealed that he told Tim Krul before Netherlands' World Cup quarter-final against Costa Rica that he would be called upon in the event of a penalty shootout - but not Jasper Cillessen.

The Dutch coach made the remarkable decision to substitute his first-choice goalkeeper with just seconds go to in extra-time at Arena Fonte Nova.

However, it proved a masterstroke, with Krul saving two of Costa Rica's five spot-kicks as Netherlands triumphed 4-3 on penalties to set up a semi-final showdown with Argentina.

"We thought this through beforehand," Van Gaal told reporters in Salvador. "Every player in my squad has certain skills and qualities. They don't always overlap but all thought that Tim would be the most appropriate keeper to stop penalties because he has a long reach.

"But we said nothing to Jasper because we didn't want to be faced with this information before the match because that would be disappointing for him.

"But every goalkeeper has his qualities and we felt that Tim had a longer reach and a better track record stopping penalties.

"So, we discussed all of this with Tim and we had him study Costa Rica's penalties [in their last-16 shootout success over Greece]. You will have seen that he dived in the right direction time and time again.

"So, all of us are a little bit proud that this play has helped us through."

Van Gaal also explained that it had been difficult for him to keep one substitution in reserve, given a number of his players were struggling with fatigue in extra-time.

"I had decided [to use Krul] before the 90 minutes had ended," he revealed. "I thought that we were playing well and had created lots of opportunities so I hadn't had have to make many subs, but there was a chance of penalties.

"I didn't feel Memphis [Depay] had played well so I brought in Jeremain [Lens] before the end of normal time. Of course, in extra-time I took into account that I shouldn't use all my subs so I could still use Tim.

"But we had some injuries and guys like Robin [van Persie] and Georginio [Wijnaldum] were exhausted. Bringing on Klaas was also a risk as we went to four defenders. So it was a risk, a bit tricky.

"Fortunately, it worked out. Because if it hadn't, I would have taken the wrong decision!"

Van Gaal also hailed his players for the way in which they had kept their composure, despite having hit the woodwork three times and been frustrated by Costa Rica's alleged time-wasting and persistent fouling.

"I believe that the players were more controlled than the technical staff," he joked. "My colleagues were jumping up and down all the time!

"But I felt that my players behaved marvelously - despite the delaying tactics; despite that the referee allowing all sorts of time-wasting to go unpunished. And I'm not even talking about his decision on all the fouls,

"So, hats off to my players. It was frustrating for us and there's a law in football that if you miss so many chances, the opponent beats you.

"But I saw the determination in my players to progress. They know exactly when they have to take responsibility and that's the key. It's not about me, or anyone else. It's about them.

"When I compare them to other teams I've coached, they are the strongest in terms of professionalism and taking on responsibility."

Netherlands next face Argentina in Sao Paulo. It was put to Van Gaal during his post-match press conference in Salvador that the Albiceleste will prove a more attack-minded adversary than Costa Rica - but the new Manchester United boss dismissed the notion that Lionel Messi and Co. always take the game to the opposition.

"I can't really give you my opinion of the second half as I only saw five minutes but I thought Belgium were the better side in the first half," Van Gaal said of the quarter-final clash in Brasilia earlier in the day.

"Argentina are obviously an excellent team, with great individuals, such as Messi. But if people say that Argentina attack all the time, well, that was not the case in my opinion in the first half."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal's no legend, he's disrespectful - Cannavaro

432527_heroa.jpg

By John-Paul Tooth
Jul 6, 2014 11:32:00 PM

The 2006 World Cup winner was not impressed by the Dutch coach's decision to replace starting goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen with Tim Krul for a penalty shoot-out

Fabio Cannavaro has criticised Netherlands coach Louis Van Gaal’s decision to take off goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen before his side's World Cup quarter-final shoot-out against Costa Rica, insisting the plaudits he is getting are undeserved.

The Oranje boss brought Tim Krul on in place of his starting goalkeeper in the last minute of extra-time in the last-eight tie as he believed the Newcastle United man would be better suited for spot kicks than Ajax's No.1.

Krul then saved two out of five penalties to put his country through - with Van Gaal earning praise in many quarters for the bold decision late in the game - but World Cup 2006 winner Cannavaro had an opposing stance on the topic.

"I know everyone is now treating Van Gaal like a legend or a magician for that change, but to be honest, it’s not something I like very much," the Italian told Globo Esporte.

"It’s disrespectful to the goalkeeper. Who will be the goalkeeper in the next game? Imagine going in goal for the next match and realising you do not have the 100 per cent faith of the coach."

Van Gaal later revealed that he had he had always planned to make the move if the match looked like it would be decided by a penalty shoot-out - but added that he had not told Cillessen about the decision, only Krul.

Netherlands will face Argentina on Wednesday in a World Cup semi-final to decide who will play in the final at the Maracana against either Brazil or Germany.

jw5

Loyal
If LVG had started Tim Krul (who according to me is a better keeper than Jasper Cillissen), he could have used the 3rd sub on an attacking player to rejuvenate his jaded strike force. :biggrin:

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If LVG had started Tim Krul (who according to me is a better keeper than Jasper Cillissen), he could have used the 3rd sub on an attacking player to rejuvenate his jaded strike force. :biggrin:

Netherlands would have been booted out in the group stages and Alamaking would have had all his hairs pulled out of rage. :biggrin:

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wah! You so cleber. Should take over LVG job then. Country managers pick their players based on their club form and games appearances. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal

Wah! You so cleber. Should take over LVG job then. Country managers pick their players based on their club form and games appearances. :biggrin:

Yes, I am in the running for this superjob. Anyone could manage a team with RVP and Robben as attackers, supersubkeeper Krul and unused secret weapon Jordy Classie on the bench. :biggrin:

Alamakinky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oranjies will come out with new tactics to deal with whatever situations. They have what it takes to win it all.